Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find the Blink charger on 162nd just south of Mill Plain, in Vancouver. It looks like Kholes down the street from there on Mill Plain just got two installed. Do you need a card or something to activate them? It seems like plugshare is the best source for finding charges.

GinkoLeaf said:
PDXLeafer said:
I am getting pretty much dead-on 60 mile range.

Is that on 80% charge or 100% charge?
100% charge. Maybe I should not be charging to 100%, and maybe I should be waiting after I get home to charge later, or set the timer, but the way I figure it, most people (average citizen) are not going to want to spend extra time 'messing with the doo-dads' and will just take the avenue of least resistance. When I get home I plug in, and charge to 100% if there is enough time. When I leave, I unplug and go.

PDXLeafer said:
Been a while since I posted here (Portland group). I am wondering what other's realistic range is that live in SW or also have a 'slightly hilly' drive. I am commuting mostly, 30-45mph, but some freeway (to Tualatin for music at the C.I. every weekend!). I am getting pretty much dead-on 60 mile range. I can move it a few miles either way, but not much. Tried a few times driving VERY conservatively, and it didn't seem to make more than a 10-15% difference. This is through the summer months, with no A/C and no heat. I'm going in for my 6-month/7500mile checkup tomorrow (actual is 8 1/2 months/6200 miles), so I will also ask at the dealer.
PDXLeafer said:
GinkoLeaf said:
100% charge. Maybe I should not be charging to 100%, and maybe I should be waiting after I get home to charge later, or set the timer, but the way I figure it, most people (average citizen) are not going to want to spend extra time 'messing with the doo-dads' and will just take the avenue of least resistance. When I get home I plug in, and charge to 100% if there is enough time. When I leave, I unplug and go.
Hmm... If you're charging to 100% and not using heat/air conditioning, you should be seeing at least 85-90 miles on average.

I've been driving on average 60 miles per day since I bought the car and always pull in the driveway with at least 30 miles remaining, usually above 35 and when traffic is good, 40 miles. Now that I'm using the heater a bunch more in the morning, I'm seeing a decrease of about 5-10%.

Do you drive and record your mileage in ECO mode? That will probably make a big difference too.

PDXLeafer said:
GinkoLeaf said:
PDXLeafer said:

Yeah, that seems low. I commute round trip 40 miles on weekdays, mostly highway driving (sometimes a little stop-n-go on the freeway). I charge to 80% during the week and use the timer to start the charging around 11pm. I get home usually showing 21-26 miles left (3 bars usually), and I try to consistently drive in Eco mode. And usually with the amount of charge left, I can run some errands and comfortably drive another 20 miles (or more?) on side/local roads. I live at 650 ft on the east side of Mt. Scott, so its a bit of uphill getting home, but downhill heading out. I hope that's informative.

PDXLeafer said:
GinkoLeaf said:
PDXLeafer said:

Oh, the other thing I wonder is during the summer did you drive with windows down/open (since you said you didn't use A/C)? That could kill some of your mileage too, especially at higher speeds. Just guessing. And I'm always amazed at how much it drains the battery to drive at speeds above 55-60mph.

Blackhouse said:
I couldn't find the Blink charger on 162nd just south of Mill Plain, in Vancouver. It looks like Kholes down the street from there on Mill Plain just got two installed. Do you need a card or something to activate them? It seems like plugshare is the best source for finding charges.

You are going to need a Blink card for both location. The chargers on 164nd just south of Mill Plain, are in the HP front parking lot, one on the right one on the left. The entrance is from 164th, going North right before Panera Bread.

Between Ikea, HP and Kohl EVSEs, Blink has me covered on the way home to Camas :D .

There are also two Blink chargers at Kohl at Clackamas Mall, I used one on Sunday.

GinkoLeaf said:
PDXLeafer said:
Oh, the other thing I wonder is during the summer did you drive with windows down/open (since you said you didn't use A/C)? That could kill some of your mileage too, especially at higher speeds. Just guessing. And I'm always amazed at how much it drains the battery to drive at speeds above 55-60mph.

I do tend to enjoy a faster freeway speed than that, but even all local non-freeway miles I am getting 60 miles. Nissan testing didn't reveal any issues at the 7500 mile check up (although I am at 6300). Yeah, I drive with the window down or partially down. Typically open a back window a bit too to create the air flow, but I can't think that would suck up more amps than the A/C would :)

I will experiment with 'total Zen driving' for a while and see if I truly am just a lead-foot. Already seems like enough people want me out of the way so they can speed, but whatever. They can hit me if they must. Need to figure this out!

Thanks for all of the advice. I would sure like to be getting 80-90 miles on a full charge!

Hey Group!

Got my LEAF last week (2011 Black SL CW) from Ivan out at Gresham Nissan, great guy and was very patient with me throughout the whole sales process!

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody has devised an ideal route for a trip from Portland to Eugene?

I'm trying to plan it out and figure out whats the fastest yet economical/efficient way to do it? Like driving on HWY 99E as much as possible opposed to I-5? Do you think this would make a significant difference to my range for the length of the commute?

My plan was to leave home at full (I live in SE Portland Area near Powell and 205), hop on 205 to I-5, and head to Woodburn Company Stores driving in the right lane at 55mph.
Approximately 37 Miles

Then recharge there to 100% while shopping for a few hours. This should take what 2.5 hours to complete?

Return to the road, except this time veer over to 99E as opposed to I-5, which has a speed of 45mph (i think?). Take that into Salem, merges back into I-5, then when I get to Albany pull off again to 99E, take that all the way through to Eugene.
Approximately 85 Miles

Then charge back up to full at the Lithia Nissan in Eugene.

Alternatively, I also thought that maybe it just makes sense to drive all the way from Portland to Albany (like the Linn-Benton Comm Coll Station), then after picking up enough range, head to Eugene. What is everybody's thoughts on this? Has anybody done the Portland to Eugene commute yet?

GinkoLeaf said:
patrick0101 said:
National Plug In Day - Portland
http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday/portland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there going to be a parade of EVs? What other events will there be?
It is going to be a vehicle and EVSE display. We may have some speakers. There are 7 charging stations from 6 vendors, including a DC Quick charger.

DarkStar said:
patrick0101 said:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday/portland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Too bad the map is linked to Portland, Texas! :D I'll definitely show up to the one in Portland, Oregon though!
The map error has been fixed. I look forward to seeing you and Mikiko there.

twbaker said:
Hey Group!

Got my LEAF last week (2011 Black SL CW) from Ivan out at Gresham Nissan, great guy and was very patient with me throughout the whole sales process!

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody has devised an ideal route for a trip from Portland to Eugene?

I'm trying to plan it out and figure out whats the fastest yet economical/efficient way to do it? Like driving on HWY 99E as much as possible opposed to I-5? Do you think this would make a significant difference to my range for the length of the commute?

My plan was to leave home at full (I live in SE Portland Area near Powell and 205), hop on 205 to I-5, and head to Woodburn Company Stores driving in the right lane at 55mph.
Approximately 37 Miles

Congrats on your new Leaf! We're practically neighbors (I-205 & Johnson Creek). I haven't done the Eugene run yet, but I've taken my Leaf down to Canby and back. And when figuring out that route I've used Google maps to check the distance of different alternatives, and that section of I-205 from Oregon City over to I-5 then down adds extra miles (and those are freeway miles = eats more charge). Getting off at Oregon City and taking 99E into Woodburn would be a little more efficient, though take a little longer. But I guess if you plan to recharge in Woodburn then its kind of a moot point. I would definitely go 99E to Woodburn if you were making a roundtrip without charging. Sorry, that really doesn't answer your Eugene question.
Have fun with your new Leaf!
Kevin

patrick0101 said:
GinkoLeaf said:
patrick0101 said:
Is there going to be a parade of EVs? What other events will there be?
It is going to be a vehicle and EVSE display. We may have some speakers. There are 7 charging stations from 6 vendors, including a DC Quick charger.

Will there be reserved parking for Leafs? I think I might like to come check it out, mostly out of curiosity. Ya'll can meet Sparky! :D

GinkoLeaf said:
Will there be reserved parking for Leafs? I think I might like to come check it out, mostly out of curiosity. Ya'll can meet Sparky! :D
Most of the vehicles there will be Leafs. You are welcome to bring Sparky in if there are any spots left on Electric Ave.

patrick0101 said:
GinkoLeaf said:
Most of the vehicles there will be Leafs. You are welcome to bring Sparky in if there are any spots left on Electric Ave.

Do I just show up early?

GinkoLeaf said:
twbaker said:
Hey Group!

Approximately 37 Miles

Congrats on your new Leaf! We're practically neighbors (I-205 & Johnson Creek). I haven't done the Eugene run yet, but I've taken my Leaf down to Canby and back. And when figuring out that route I've used Google maps to check the distance of different alternatives, and that section of I-205 from Oregon City over to I-5 then down adds extra miles (and those are freeway miles = eats more charge). Getting off at Oregon City and taking 99E into Woodburn would be a little more efficient, though take a little longer. But I guess if you plan to recharge in Woodburn then its kind of a moot point. I would definitely go 99E to Woodburn if you were making a roundtrip without charging. Sorry, that really doesn't answer your Eugene question.
Have fun with your new Leaf!
Kevin

Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking about that, just taking 99E as soon as arriving to Oregon City. That might make more sense and then just drive all the way to Albany or Corvallis. I'm finding that its far more effective/efficient/healthier to charge the lower % of the battery rather than trying to top up the battery. So with that said, maybe it makes sense to bypass Woodburn on the way down and head south to either of the stations in the Albany/Corvallis area, charge up to 80%ish, then head on down to Eugene. On the way back, it in turn would make sense then to charge at woodburn, say to 80%, and then head back home.

NPID%20PDX%202011%232.jpg

Back