Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
The model Stoaty built was specifically calibrated to reflect our collective learnings last year. This model takes mileage into account as well, I believe. What we see in the second and third year of LEAF ownership appears to be worse than what the model had predicted. And by a significant margin.
I also greatly appreciate the modeling work that Stoaty has done (with your assistance, I think). I will continue to use that model and may make adjustments as we learn more.

I do think there are more than a few reasons for the degradation being worse than predicted by the model. We have discussed many of these before, but I thought it might be good to gather them together here.

Previous summary discussion: 1

1) Nissan's statements to TickTock about degradation rates were not credible at the time they made them. They did not match his level of degradation nor did they match what had already been seen by others. Previous discussion(s): 1
2) Literature searches of long-term calendar battery degradation testing do not indicate a leveling off of capacity loss as the battery fades. Some testing indicates calendar degradation accelerates as the battery capacity degrades. Previous discussion: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
3) Battery testing often uses constant-SOC charge and discharge endpoints rather than constant-energy discharges as would tend to occur in an electric vehicle. This discrepancy between testing and actual use tends to make battery models optimistic. Previous discussion: 1, 2
4) As LEAF batteries degrade, owners often need to charge to higher SOCs and/or discharge to lower SOCs, either/both of which will tend to increase degradation rates. Previous discussions: (Many, many posts on this forum indicate owners have been forced to charge to 100% due to battery degradation.)
5) It seems that many LEAFs came off the assembly line with "extra" battery capacity beyond what the BMS would use. This was seen by the fact that many owners saw 281 GIDs consistently for a period of time when the car was new. As a result, extrapolations of degradation which included this initial period of "hidden degradation" will tend to be optimistic. Previous discussion: 1
6) The battery temperature management system on the LEAF functions like a track-and-hold for temperature. When you couple this fact with the fact that most LEAF drivers use the car to commute to work, returning home during the hottest part of the day, you end up with LEAF batteries experiencing an average temperature environment which is quite a bit warmer than the average climate where the LEAF is located. Previous discussions: 1, 2, 3, 4
7) I think there is a knock-on effect from the track-and-hold issue above which tends to make it not only affect the calendar losses, but also to increase cycling losses. The point here is that if you drive a LEAF during the heat of the day, the battery will be discharged near the peak temperature of the day. This will tend to cause faster cycling degradation on top of the faster calendar degradation mentioned above.
8) The second knock-on-effect of the track-and-hold thermal management system in the LEAF is that it does not do an effective job of removing heat generated when charging the battery. The result is that the battery will tend to heat up when charged, but will not tend to cool off for a long period. This effect will be most significant at higher charging rates, when charging at higher SOCs and when the vehicle is not driven for many hours following a charge. Previous discussion: 1
9) Many of us keep our LEAFs in our garages, particularly at night. Unfortunately, the garage also tends to operate like a track-and-hold for temperature. When the door is open, the temperature tends to track the outdoor temperature and when it is closed, it tends to hold the temperature. This is particularly true for well-insulated garages, unless they happen to be air-conditioned. Because the cars are often driven into the garage during the heat of the late afternoon, the result is that the temperature environment where the LEAF is stored at night tends to be warmer than the surrounding climate. Previous discussion: 1
10) Nissan apparently forewent some battery features which improve high temperature performance such as ceramic coatings on the separator materials which other manufacturers like LG included in their products. Why they would do that knowing they are marketing a car without an active battery cooling system is entirely beyond me. One would think such omissions should have been baked into their battery estimates, but perhaps they got missed somehow? Previous discussion: 1, 2

Lately I find myself thinking that the number of batteries that Nissan will replace under the battery capacity warranty may be much larger than most of the estimates that I read here. Specifically, it seems to me that anyone who has lost at least one bar in less than 2.5 years and under 25,000 miles will likely lose the other three before the warranty period is up. That might mean people like Stoaty and many other Californians may be included.

As always, time will tell.

Edit: Added a bunch of links to previous discussions on this forum, many of which reference external data.

An excellent synopsis! I agree with most-all the points and, more importantly, my own experience and data tracks with your observations.

RegGuheert said:
I do think there are more than a few reasons for the degradation being worse than predicted by the model. We have discussed many of these before, but I thought it might be good to gather them together here.

TomT said:
An excellent synopsis! I agree with all the points and my own experience tracks with your observations.

RegGuheert said:
caplossmnl

While I truly appreciate the thought and the work that has gone into this list, I cannot agree with some of the reasoning. Unfortunately, I won't have time to debate this to the same extent like last year. I don't think that it matters all that much, if we arrive at a similar conclusion for different reasons. I think the upshot of all this is that Nissan might want to use the new "hot" battery in every new LEAF produced, once it becomes available. If they were truthful about the information shared with the AZ 7 last year, they might want to adjust their aging model to better reflect the reality out in the field. Also, I think there is a valid concern about a number of owners, who might up end up not being covered by the new warranty, and will still lose a very significant amount of battery capacity. Not sure what could be done there, if anything. Do you think there is a way to quantify the currently anticipated amount of loss over time to give owners something to go by?

surfingslovak said:
Do you think there is a way to quantify the currently anticipated amount of loss over time to give owners something to go by?
Yes.

First, items 6, 7, 8 and 9 make me believe that there is an X-axis offset error in the application of the model parameters. These are precisely the types of things that accelerated testing on a proving grounds are likely to miss. In an accelerated test, the vehicle is moving most of the time and likely does not get parked in an enclosed garage to soak, so it would not be at all surprising for Nissan to largely miss these effects in any testing they may have done. To address this issue, it may be necessary to ad an offset to the climate temperature data in a similar fashion to what was done to account for solar loading.

Second, I think a different (more linear) equation needs to be applied to the calendar aging effect on the LEAF battery. Where we can get such an equation is not clear. Based on what I have seen a simple linear fit may serve best for our purposes.

RegGuheert said:
I think a different (more linear) equation needs to be applied to the calendar aging effect on the LEAF battery. Where we can get such an equation is not clear. Based on what I have seen a simple linear fit may serve best for our purposes.

We have the battery loss wiki, with records of capacity bar loss for a fair number of cars. I did a quick look at this data, and it looked like loss is slower than linear. However:

1) Some of the data doesn't agree with other parts of the data. For example, manufacturing date or purchase date and reported day of loss vs the number of months to loss isn't very consistent, to say the least.
2) Seasonality. Capacity loss is highest in hotter weather. A good estimate of the loss rate would need to be adjusted by at least local temperature.

And this is ignoring the data from the ODB ELM application. Once there is enough consistent data to cover a year from enough cars, then a loss slope should be determinable. At most a few years will be needed to get a very good guess as to a loss equation.

WetEV said:
RegGuheert said:
I think a different (more linear) equation needs to be applied to the calendar aging effect on the LEAF battery. Where we can get such an equation is not clear. Based on what I have seen a simple linear fit may serve best for our purposes.
We have the battery loss wiki, with records of capacity bar loss for a fair number of cars. I did a quick look at this data, and it looked like loss is slower than linear.
Keep in mind that the data in the Wiki is for total degradation (calendar plus cycling) while I am referring to calendar degradation alone.

Still, that is a good data point. Agreed that the seasonailty makes the data very difficult to interpret, particularly since the vehicles all start their lives in different seasons.

mkjayakumar said:
In four months this summer from May thru July, I drove 6K miles, charged to 100% 5 days a week in the morning, and lost 2 bars and 35 Gids from 252 to 217 this morning.I will be at 210 before summer winds down. And that a loss of 15% in the 2nd summer.

Great job Nissan.
My last 100% charge gave me 215 gids, but I'm still at 1 bar loss (knock on lots of wood). I had thought I would lose bar 2 by Aug, but the reprogram gave me about 5 Ahrs. According to the Android battery app I have a 52.55 Ahr battery. I wish we knew at what level the bars go away.

garygTx said:
My last 100% charge gave me 215 gids, but I'm still at 1 bar loss (knock on lots of wood). I had thought I would lose bar 2 by Aug, but the reprogram gave me about 5 Ahrs. According to the Android battery app I have a 52.55 Ahr battery. I wish we knew at what level the bars go away.

I think you will loose the 2nd bar any day now. 52.55x360/24000=78.75% which is right at the threshold of 15%+6.25%=21.25%.

did you record your pre-SW update Ahr reading? most feedback indicates that the SW "boost" is temporary, so you may soon return to that original level. I seem to recall around 51Ahr to be the general level of the 2nd bar loss threshold.

garygTx said:
mkjayakumar said:
In four months this summer from May thru July, I drove 6K miles, charged to 100% 5 days a week in the morning, and lost 2 bars and 35 Gids from 252 to 217 this morning.I will be at 210 before summer winds down. And that a loss of 15% in the 2nd summer.

Great job Nissan.

opencar said:
did you record your pre-SW update Ahr reading? most feedback indicates that the SW "boost" is temporary, so you may soon return to that original level. I seem to recall around 51Ahr to be the general level of the 2nd bar loss threshold.

When I first got the app in April I was at about 55.6 Ahr. It dropped 1 Ahr over the next month even thought the temp never hit 90. It was down to about 51.8 when I had the reprogram done in early July and gained 5 Ahr. It looks to me like the reprogram just removed the 'instrumentation error' and then I went back to normal degradation.

My observations pretty much aligns with RegGuheert, especially on the impact of the need to charge to 100% more often as the battery degrades. You may all remember just about two years ago there was a universal acceptance that degradation will level off as the battery ages, and it was repeated many times over in this forum too. Unfortunately I see the same mis-guided optimism over at Tesla forums where I often see the now debunked myths of battery degradation stated as facts.

I also predict that every TX and AZ Leaf would lose their 4th bar within their warranty period, forcing Nissan to replace them. But there is a good possibility they would be replaced with batteries from lease returns with 10 bars. Now that would be a travesty.

RegGuheert said:
Second, I think a different (more linear) equation needs to be applied to the calendar aging effect on the LEAF battery. Where we can get such an equation is not clear. Based on what I have seen a simple linear fit may serve best for our purposes.
Yes, we don't see much in terms of leveling of the capacity loss. Additionally, I believe the effects of temperature could be even stronger than anticipated, and miles or battery cycles mattered less than originally thought. The relative life expectation in climates such as Phoenix, LA, Seattle or Orlando, seem to follow the Arrhenius equation pretty well. The effect of warmer garage microclimates is not easily quantifiable.

mkjayakumar said:
My observations pretty much aligns with RegGuheert, especially on the impact of the need to charge to 100% more often as the battery degrades.
While I agree with the rest of your post, I would caution not to jump to a conclusion about 100% charging. While it would appear natural that this will hasten degradation, we have not seem much material difference between habitual 80% and 100% chargers in Phoenix. While the battery will need more cycles to propel the LEAF the same distance as it degrades, the effects of cycling could be less significant when compared to temperature-induced changes in the battery.

I lost my first bar yesterday after 28 months and 35.7k miles. Mostly charge to 80%, charge overnight and at work using L2. 32 mile one way commute.

Stoaty said:
Here are my latest figures:

Months owned - 27
AH - 57.24 (86.4% of 66.25)
Gids at 100% charge - 239 (85.1% of 281)
Gids at 80% charge - 201 (86.6% of 232)

Stoaty, here's mine. I think your efforts did work, but just as not as well as you would have liked.

Months owned - 14
AH - 57.7 (87.1% of 66.25)
Gids at 100% charge - 245 (87.2% of 281)
Gids at 80% charge - 205 (86.8% of 232)

Mileage is currently ~17,700 miles.

I have seen eight temprature bars twice and seven about a dozen times. I quick charge a LOT (as much as six in a day, done that about three times) and now can charge faster on L2.

Quite simply, I believe your actions gave you better battery life. How much vs. my climate (Sacramento for a 9 months, Pasadena for 5) I am not sure, but I DO know isn't enough. :roll:

tombobcat said:
garygTx said:

I think you will loose the 2nd bar any day now. 52.55x360/24000=78.75% which is right at the threshold of 15%+6.25%=21.25%.

He may lose it, but I can tell you that according to the meters, a one bar loss is around 80-81% Gids, so 6% more would be somewhere around 75% Gids and his second bar loss.

LEAFfan said:
He may lose it, but I can tell you that according to the meters, a one bar loss is around 80-81% Gids, so 6% more would be somewhere around 75% Gids and his second bar loss.
Yes, and although the first capacity bar supposedly represents 15% capacity loss, most are generally reporting the loss around 55.5 AH capacity remaining, which is:

55.5/66.25 = 82.5%

So it looks like you have to be down around 17.5% in capacity in order to lose the first capacity bar. This is in pretty close agreement with the 80-81% Gids.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Any 2013's out there that have lost a bar yet? It would have to be a very heavy driver, likely in a warm climate.

Keep in mind that the 2013 pack has had its chemistry tweaked to withstand the heat better. There were 2011s here that lost a bar after just six months, but I doubt if there will be any 2013s lose a bar that early. In fact, it will be interesting if any can make a year here without a bar loss, which is possible. I'm pretty sure that almost every 2011 here lost at least one bar at around one year or earlier. I only know of two of that large group of bar losers that went over one year and 10,000 miles before they lost their first bar. And both of those were driven mostly on city streets at low speeds. It looks like mine (just over 6 mos.) has made it through the summer without too much degradation. If I were to compare my 2011 to my 2013, I definitely see less degradation for the 2013 under similar conditions.

I lost my first bar at two years with 24k, charged to 100% and drove 50 mile each work day, mostly highway miles.

LEAFfan said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Any 2013's out there that have lost a bar yet? It would have to be a very heavy driver, likely in a warm climate.

Keep in mind that the 2013 pack has had its chemistry tweaked to withstand the heat better. There were 2011s here that lost a bar after just six months, but I doubt if there will be any 2013s lose a bar that early. In fact, it will be interesting if any can make a year here without a bar loss, which is possible. I'm pretty sure that almost every 2011 here lost at least one bar at around one year or earlier. I only know of two of that large group of bar losers that went over one year and 10,000 miles before they lost their first bar. And both of those were driven mostly on city streets at low speeds. It looks like mine (just over 6 mos.) has made it through the summer without too much degradation. If I were to compare my 2011 to my 2013, I definitely see less degradation for the 2013 under similar conditions.

Back