Production timing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkettner

OK I ordered Sep 29 and I still have the option to edit my color. Who has an earlier date and can still edit?
I would like to track as people lose this option to estimate what order dates are entering production.

I assume Nissan is still building the first five days of orders but lets see how this progresses.

i venture its a bit too early to tell. our initial 50 car launch is most likely on a unique time line and wont know the typical "assembly to garage" term for probably at least a few months.

for late September, i will have guess March? hard to say. Nissans ordering process is so convoluted and our sampling here so small, its really a tough one to say. but you would be near the first cut off time, so i am guessing you will be around April, May?

They must be having a problem with production. According to previous Nissan announcements the are to produce 10 to 12,000 by the end of March

stanley said:
They must be having a problem with production. According to previous Nissan announcements the are to produce 10 to 12,000 by the end of March

not all headed for the US. its been stated (and restated) that the initial allotment for the US of 20,000 would be woefully short and that efforts to increase that allocation were being looked at. but unless some other part of the world experiences a much less than expected demand, i dont see how that will be possible. also, keep in mind, the production year ends in Sept.(August?) so this is a bit of a short year

DaveinOlyWA said:
i venture its a bit too early to tell. our initial 50 car launch is most likely on a unique time line and wont know the typical "assembly to garage" term for probably at least a few months.

for late September, i will have guess March? hard to say. Nissans ordering process is so convoluted and our sampling here so small, its really a tough one to say. but you would be near the first cut off time, so i am guessing you will be around April, May?

Sorry Dave, Mark Perry told me yesterday that late Sept. orders, such as mine and the other poster, more than likely will be Feb., but could be March at the latest.

well glad its earlier and not later. this does bode well for an increased allotment. the more the merrier the faster the word of mouth, the quicker the money rolls in.

9/3 order - and can still edit color.

Most ICE cars take about 2 weeks to build - let's for argument sake say that is the minimum build time for the Leaf.

It takes about 2 weeks to ship from Oppama to the west coast

It looks like about 1-2 weeks after the ship docks until the dealer gets the car, has it cleaned up and is ready to turn it over to you.

With that - I'm assuming if you can still edit the color you're looking at a minimum of 6 weeks with no real bound on the upper limit - until you get notice that you can't edit the color or the car is being built.

OK..separate question along the same lines (and I'm blaming Randy for pushing me to the brink on this one :)) I think I might actually use the 'edit my color' feature to go from Silver to Red.

Has anyone heard if this has any impact on timing?

Ha Ha, go ahead blame me.... :)

You know you really want a red one....We'll have a fleet of red, we'll have to think about a LEAF parade.....(!)

leaf.jpg

LEAFguy said:
LakeLeaf said:
Most ICE cars take about 2 weeks to build - let's for argument sake say that is the minimum build time for the Leaf.

Not really sure where you got your data. Most cars are built in 25 to 35 hours.

I looked up the article LEAFguy refers to. It tells how many man-hours it takes to assemble a car. The time it takes to go from the beginning to the end of the assembly line is not necessarily the same number. With Google, I found one answer that it takes 2 weeks to assemble a car, but it did not give a reference. Several places show 6-8 weeks to receive a custom ordered car from a US plant, but this includes much more than the assembly time.

When I custom ordered a 330 BMW a few years back. It took 6 weeks from the day I finalized the order to the day it was on my dealer's lot. I was quite impressed by that, actually. What was also fun was that I was able to track the order the process online during the entire time, including factory video of it being manufactured and shipping schedules and itinerary.

Tom

planet4ever said:
I ordered on 9/2 and didn't have the color edit link until a few days ago, but I do now.

What!? You ordered on the third day and your car is not even in production yet??? Wow!

planet4ever said:
I ordered on 9/2 and didn't have the color edit link until a few days ago, but I do now.

I checked today. It seems they added the color edit option to my dashboard over the few days or so. Just when I had my hopes up that its earlier absence signified something. C'est la vie.

Back