question about 240v extension cord for temporary fast charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlleaf510

hi guys. just bought my 13 sl leaf about to 2 months ago. been trickle charging while it's fine for some days. I never come hone really.empty. 20 to 30% left from 80%. some days I get off at 2 am and work 6am which is why I need little more power during those 2 to 3 days out the week to get going. and level 2 will definitely help out on those days. I'm renting so electrical work is out of the question. but I do have a l6-20 r in the shed with a 20amp double pole breaker that I've tested and is live. problem is where I'm usually parked when. I get home at night bout 80 feet away from.the outlet. down the drive way. like I said this will not be my permanent only charging source just days where I think I would t have enough hours to replenish. so I was thinking thinking of making.my own extension cord with a about 65 feet..10/3 gauage with l6-20r and plug. the outlet is wired with 12/3 . will 10 gauage be enough to sustain mimimum loss..with 12 gauge outlet wires? is that a problem usING 10g ext on 12g outlet? assuming bigger wire has extra room using 10g correct? 65 feet extension plsu 25 feet from a turbo cord should reach me. any In puts will.help before I do any purchasing. thanks some one is selling a turbo cord for 300$.=)

thanks for the link..might get a 75 feet l6 -20 ext with turbo cord. I won't be upgrading my evse unit as I will get the turbocord. that way I'll have my usual 120v evse on the side when I don't use the turbocord 240v w/ extension.

Reddy said:
I'm not much help on electrical stuff, but 100 ft is pretty long. Here's a some possibilities:
http://www.corddepot.com/shop/industrial/l6-20-rubber-extension-cords/
Those are some very nice looking cables, I like the wire they use, very flexible even in cold weather and if you figure the cost of the raw wire and plugs I bet you'd be close to the price of that cable. 12G to the outlet should be fine(all you really find behind the wall going to a 20a outlet) and I'd agree with going with a 10G extension cord to the TurboCord, should make the power to the TurboCord basically like plugging it in directly to the outlet.

I have charged plenty of times with 100' #12 cord with L6-20 connectors. 16 amps charging.
No problems, no worries.

If you were close you could borrow my cord.

Is that an AV Turbo cord? Somebody made a recent post that it did not like a 50' extension.

yes its the av turbo cord. I seen that post and he stated it was 12/3 50 ft extension..and it was giving him issues..that's why I don't mind spending little more for a 10g..just to have that extra room..as I stated probably twice a week for max bout 3 hrs

also the av turbo cord comes with a 6-20 I believe.. I seen a 6-20r to l6-20 plug. probably use that to go directly Ino the extension wid both ends of l6-20

Back