Range/Capacity loss determination debate (and more)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It helps
It helps
It helps

The amount of stuff I learnt through this forum is amazing, so much I wonder how folks can knowledgeably survive owning an EV unless they actively read a forum like this. And I also lurk on the Tesla/Model S forum and there is a lot of info coming in now, but not that technical as we see in this one. Looks like the Leaf community has more engineer / hacker types than others.

surfingslovak said:
...what ultimately matters is actual measured range and any other data or assumptions should be backed up by range tests. These can vary (even with access to a dyno), but if conducted methodically, significant trends will emerge.

Yes, our instrumentation and execution are not ideal. However, if a number of owners reports 10% range reduction, what is more likely? That their vehicles have indeed less range or that they are all misreporting due to an instrument error or some mysterious BMS behavior?

And where do you suppose those "10% range reduction" figures coming from?

Do you really think they are all from extremely well-conducted and accurate range tests, or much more likely, often a case of confirmation bias of erroneous reports from kWh use reports and gid counts?

As I have posted many times before, it was the results of a long series of range tests in controlled conditions that led me to believe, and post, last Summer, that my LEAFs kWh use reports were unreliable. But I also think it is impossible to determine exactly what the percentage error is, within a ~0%-10% range, since other uncontrolled variables in range tests conducted on a single LEAF over an extended period of time may result in variations in distance driven approaching the same percentage range.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The useful results of the Phoenix range test were to confirm that extreme variations in LEAF kWh use reports (between 3.7 m/kWh and 4.4 m/kWh) from near-identical driving conditions seems to confirm extreme inaccuracy of those reports, just as it showed gid report and capacity bar loss were also extremely inaccurate as indications of available battery capacity.

http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And yet, forum participants continue to post the most unlikely (IMO) conclusions of their LEAFs efficiency and battery capacity, apparently based on "junk" data from these same discredited sources.

As an example, as posted recently:

tbleakne ...My LEAF has been getting 5.1 mi/kWh RT by driving freeways at 54-56 mph...

11% capacity loss

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3281&start=430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do we now believe a new LEAF has ~107 miles range at freeway speeds (21 kWh x 5.1 m/kWh) or do we conclude that it is far more likely that tbleakne's source for the 5.1 m/kWh is significantly overstating his LEAFs efficiency?

And as to tbleakne's 11% capacity loss? Did a gid count produce that figure, or is it from a more reliable and accurate source?

Stoaty said:
edatoakrun said:
As I have posted many times before...
Yes, we heard you the first dozen times.

Glad to know you can hear me. Do you also comprehend?

I'm still waiting for the first reasoned response, rather than what appears to be only continued irrational and simplistic acceptance of thoroughly discredited gid numbers and dash/ nav screen/Carwings m/kWh reports, as accurate indicators of battery capacity.

But of course, it is a lot easier to just make a snide comment, rather than to attempt to present a coherent argument in favor of such a weak position...

Back