RESULTS: Pls Help Critique Mt Baldy drive plan from SM...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimSouCal

Hi, looking to get commentary on a final drive plan to from Santa Monica to Mt Baldy Ski area and back... 2011 LEAF (not quite yet lost a bar but close). See below for drive plan...

Options: On outbound could use the City of Azusa QC, and with a problem fallback to the free L2s (8 of them) at SCE in Irwindale.

But here is the tricky part: I'll need at least 6 bars just for the elevation, leaving 3 bars to make 28 miles. That seems kind of tight so I'll need at least 10 bars, and I'd feel much better with 11.

So, how will that work on the QC? To conserve energy, I could stay off the FWY on that leg and use RT 66, that turns into Foothill Blvd to Baseline (and I met get 7 mi/bar). Still seems tight...

•Outbound
1st leg Santa Monica to Irwindale (SCE L2) or City of Azuza (DC Fast) ~ 40 miles FWY Net ~ +700 feet
2nd leg Irwindale to Baldy Ski Lifts ~ + 6000 feet ~ 28 miles

Plenty of time to L1 charge at ski area to 9 bars (80 percent)

•Return Leg Reverse
Just stop at Irwindale on the way back, charge to 8 bars (I've found that the 5 miles/bar seat of the pants, means I can get home pretty easily with 8 bars; I very well may have close to that on return near Irwindale with the elevation drop...

CONCLUSION
I see the best option taking my time on the way there, bringing a nice book, and budgeting 3 hours at SCE in Irwindale for the almost full charge (skip balancing) and taking surface highway on the way there... But the Azusa QC is tempting...

Usually I don't go right to the edge... Helpful thoughts and insight appreciated...

Thanks, Jim

I think there's no question:

Aim for Azusa QC and charge up to 10 bars. Take 66 -> Baseline Rd from the Azusa QC up to Mt Baldy Rd.

28 mi + 6,000 ft does seem tight. If you are worried about it, I would suggest stopping at the Kohls in La Verne 10 miles closer - that will leave you with less than 20 miles to Mt Baldy and it's about 600 ft higher, too.

If you can L1 while skiing, you'll probably get back enough charge combined with the elevation drop to make it all the way home, but if you don't, stop at the Azusa QC again for a few minutes, or if you want a longer break, 30-60 minutes at an L2 station where you can stop for a bite to eat would also probably be more than enough.

Let us know how it goes - when do you plan on going?

drees said:
I think there's no question:

Aim for Azusa QC and charge up
<snip>
Let us know how it goes - when do you plan on going?
Driving up next Wed and back Sunday--not skiing this time around but serves as dry run (literally).

Drees, it's clear you put some thought into this and I appreciate that. I have both a Blink and Chargepoint card.

This time I am in no rush at all getting there. Skiing a whole different story. Maybe I should try the QC and see how it works out? Thanks again. Anybody else?

For what its worth...I drove to baldy from long beach. 2013 leaf s full capacity
Charged to 80% at Azusa DCquick charge and made it to baldy village with 11 miles of range left. Didnt have the guts to try to get to the ski lifts with my family in the car and dog etc.

I think its 5 miles very steep uphill from the village to the ski lift so you could probably make it but its risky.

going back down I ended up with 50 miles of range thanks to regen braking :)

I like the idea of topping off at kohls in la verne just to play it safe....might be 30 minutes well spent

markv said:
I like the idea of topping off at kohls in la verne just to play it safe....might be 30 minutes well spent
Yeah, better safe than sorry if you have the time.[/quote]

abasaile's mountain thread may be of interest:
6600+ ft. of climbing / LEAF in the San Bernardino Mountains

Note that on a new LEAF with a 100% charge, he climbed 4100' in 28 miles and used 7 bars.

You have another 1500 ft to climb on a similar road and are starting with only 9-10 bars will and a 2-3 year old LEAF that's somewhere between 10-15% down on capacity.

I think you will barely make it - but I still think it's a good idea to charge for an hour at the Kohl's to start the climb with close to 80%.

I had the pleasure of bicycling most of the way up to Mt. Baldy Village this morning while our LEAF was charging in Rancho Cucamonga! (Now we're back home in "our" mountain range.)

The last time we drove up Mt. Baldy Road, as described here, we were able to climb over 4000' from Upland up to near the ski lifts on about 45% charge (measured in GIDs, as a percentage of usable capacity in a new LEAF battery pack). This was with very careful driving, and of course Upland is already relatively high in elevation.

Adding some charge at Kohl's in La Verne seems sensible, at least for your first Baldy run in the LEAF. At the EVSEs there, the signage says "for customers only". I can't argue with that, since the charging itself is free and it's easy to become a customer.

If you don't want to shop at Kohl's, another good spot to "top up" is the 2nd Street parking garage at Pomona College in Claremont (http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/3991" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). You can walk a few blocks to the Claremont Village for good restaurants and some shopping, or take a stroll around the Claremont Colleges.

All very useful help for sure! Thanks for all the help that clearly will reduce my anxiety... Worst case I bet I could beg some 120V in the village if I don't summit on the first try...

Will take it easy going up, and see how little I can burn off... with careful note of how it goes on the trip up...

For what it's worth, sometimes I take the metro link train to Claremont and WALK, usually getting at Manker Flats to camp at about 2-3pm after a leisurely lunch in the village...

I was thinking of charging to about 7 bars to allow for regenerative charging on the way down, but it's just as easy to do 80% that my LEAF now means 9 bars... Was thinking I'd pick up 3 bars or so on the way down but seem to recall that tapers as one gets to full charge...

Will follow up with actuals on my ride up... Again, thanks!

JimSouCal said:
Will follow up with actuals on my ride up... Again, thanks!
So all went well. Thanks for that.

As an aside, a fellow brought his Tesla S, and drove up and back from WLA without charging... Humph. Anyway...

DRIVE UP
While you all suggested the fast charge, I arrived in Irwindale with 6 bars showing, so just decided to do a full charge to 12, which completed in 2 hours (The new faster charger is a game changer here, as 1 hour is a nice meal--I'd be happy to get a 3rd party upgrade if someone offers for reasonable $).

So departed SCE in Irwindale with 12 full charge, taking Irwindale north to Route 66 East, and veered on Baseline, as I felt confident based on info you guys shared.

Stopped at the Vons Market at Baseline and Mills, and 8 bars showing... The ~13 mile drive up in elevation burned off well over 6 bars. Drove about 35MPH on the way up. Anyway, I arrived at Manker Flat with 2 bars showing and the GOM indicating 4 miles of range (a power down and up showed 1 bar). No low battery warning.

DRIVE BACK
The mistake I made was charging to 80%, as it became clear that my LEAF stops regen at about 9 bars, meaning I had to use the brakes a fair amount... Anyway, drove the reverse on surface streets, and I arrived at Irwindale SCE with about 8 bars, so I just stopped to check emails, and return phone calls, and got to 11 bars indicating in about 40 minutes. Then heading to the 605 South to Pomona West, to 10 and home. Got back with 5 bars showing, so the charge stop was unnecessary, as was the surface street journey, but I did enjoy the sunset sky while charging.

CONCLUSION
With optimum conditions, and very careful driving, I think I could make it up with a 9 bar QC at Azusa, but it would be close. Frankly, I don't know, but maybe next trip.

Thanks yawl!!!

JimSouCal said:
For what it's worth, sometimes I take the metro link train to Claremont and WALK, usually getting at Manker Flats to camp at about 2-3pm after a leisurely lunch in the village...
Now that's impressive! 16 miles and 5000' feet of climbing, on foot. Not quite as hard as climbing San Gorgonio Peak from the Vivian Creek trail, but still a major workout. Walking through the tunnels on Mt. Baldy Road seems a bit scary, but in actuality it's probably no worse than biking through them. Now your LEAF drive seems like small potatoes by comparison.

abasile said:
JimSouCal said:
Now that's impressive! 16 miles and 5000' feet of climbing, on foot. Not quite as hard as climbing San Gorgonio Peak from the Vivian Creek trail, but still a major workout. Walking through the tunnels on Mt. Baldy Road seems a bit scary, but in actuality it's probably no worse than biking through them. Now your LEAF drive seems like small potatoes by comparison.
Actually, I tend to listen for quiet, and sorta jog through the tunnels. By the way, the walk up is easier than the up and back summit of San Antonio from the Village... :) I'd like to do San Gorgonio, as I've done Baldy and San Jacinto--that's on my list. Maybe a winter venture with proper gear.

Again, thanks for the help. Gonna do it again for sure...

Back