Revision 2 upgrade for Nissan EVSE - Allows full level 2!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think we are finally getting caught up. After the weekend we should be able to start accepting Rev 2 orders from existing customers with Rev 1 units.

-Phil

mwalsh said:
Wow! I go away for two weeks and..... :shock:

I'm down for this. Let me know when I can send my unit.

Mine is out for delivery on the UPS truck today.. Not that there will be anything to "see".. but I'll bring it to HTB tomorrow.

Thank you Phil for the AMAZING turn around.. I REALLY appreciate it!

xtremeflyer said:
Mine is out for delivery on the UPS truck today.. Not that there will be anything to "see".. but I'll bring it to HTB tomorrow.

Thank you Phil for the AMAZING turn around.. I REALLY appreciate it!
You're welcome!

BTW: The only external difference is the little white label on the back that reads "120v 12a / 208-240v 16a", this is how you can tell you have a Rev 2.

-Phil

Since other/future cars COULD have the capability to draw 16A at 120v:

The Rev2 EVSE would be more correctly labeled "120/208/240v 16A", I believe.

The 2011 LEAF only uses 12A at 120v (but this Rev2 EVSE actually "offers" the EV 16 amps at 120v).

garygid said:
Since other/future cars COULD have the capability to draw 16A at 120v:

The Rev2 EVSE would be more correctly labeled "120/208/240v 16A", I believe.

The 2011 LEAF only uses 12A at 120v (but this Rev2 EVSE actually "offers" the EV 16 amps at 120v).
Gary, feel free to re-label your unit as you deem appropriate. While this is possible, I seriously doubt it, and in the mean time may create more confusion for LEAF owners. It's also probable that these future EV's wont even work with this EVSE, just as the Volt doesn't.

If I were to label it 16A, someone may read it and decide they cannot find any outlets it will fit under the NEC. (only a NEMA 5-20 would technically be permitted, and they are rare!)

-Phil

At least the new Rev2 label identifies the unit.

Also, Rev2 is a very useful modification for most users, cutting
240v charging from about 10 or 11 hours to about 7.5 or 8 hours.

Further, I continue to appreciate your good work.

z0ner said:
Uh oh...

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1060668_electric-car-charging-faster-with-unofficial-hardware-upgrade
At least this time she was not so harsh. The last "review", she said it might cause your car to burst into flames. I guess having hundreds of people using it without any fires kind of makes her look silly. =)

-Phil

Strong work! I added a description and references to the upgrade in the Nissan Leaf article in the Charging Options section under United States on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf#United_States

Let me know if anything about the description is inaccurate.

Ingineer said:
I guess having hundreds of people using it without any fires kind of makes her look silly. =)

-Phil

Wasting our time reading her article makes us all look silly. Gosh, I wonder how she'd write about modifications that are done to gazillions of vehicles every day? I get the feeling that if it wasn't ordained by the almighty manufacturer, it is suspect.

I'm thinking about changing the tires; surely, they'll blow out and make me crash into a bus load of 1st graders.

I wrote a note on her article; I'll be curious to see if it gets posted.

Ingineer said:
... It's also probable that these future EV's wont even work with this EVSE, just as the Volt doesn't. ...
-Phil
Will Rev2 work with the Volt ( I thought I read somewhere it would/might ) ? Or is that a Rev3 plan ;)

Is your "working with the Volt" mod still $10 when done with another Upgrade?

What operation of the EVSE does this "Volt" mod change?

It might make sense to get the Volt-mod done
at the time the Rev2 mod is being done, right?

garygid said:
Is your "working with the Volt" mod still $10 when done with another Upgrade?
Yes, just as shown on our website.

garygid said:
What operation of the EVSE does this "Volt" mod change?
It makes the unit work with the Volt. It does not affect compatibility with the LEAF.

garygid said:
It might make sense to get the Volt-mod done at the time the Rev2 mod is being done, right?
If you think you might have need to charge a Volt. Rev2 only gets you 16a, you still need to have the Volt upgrade add-on in order to have it work with the volt.

-Phil

z0ner said:
Uh oh...

http://www.allcarselectric.com/news/1060668_electric-car-charging-faster-with-unofficial-hardware-upgrade
Not sure why this has to be an "uh oh" moment. I think it's great that this article is raising awareness to Leaf owners that they now have a cheaper alternative to an in-house installed EVSE. It's free advertising for EVSEUpgrade.com as well.

There might have been a few choice words used like "unofficial hardware" or "use at your own risk" like Tony Williams pointed out in his reply, but that's no big deal. It gives a chance for Leaf owners who have had the upgrade to chime in and confirm their satisfaction so people can decide for themselves based on the testimonies. It only confirms that there has not been a single negative testimony from anyone who's used it.

Ingineer said:
she said it might cause your car to burst into flames.
Maybe she used your upgraded unit while the LEAF was parked above a large pile of cow manure on a hot day. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_combustion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion

Currently using Rev2 right now. I don't have a killawatt or anything like that, but before I plugged it in, my Sunpower Monitor showed my house consuming 370W before I plugged it in and 4050W after, so I'd say its working pretty well.

Thanks Phil!

Phil,
How about reverse engineering the EVSE and build your own from scratch?

Can you tell us what you would sell it for?

The UL listing may not be necessary, but who knows.

tps said:
Ingineer said:
she said it might cause your car to burst into flames.
Maybe she used your upgraded unit while the LEAF was parked above a large pile of cow manure on a hot day. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_combustion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_human_combustion

Hi folks,

Let's get one thing straight: As an enthusiast and a Leaf owner I love the idea of the modified Level 2 EVSE.

I've been driving EVs a long time and I've even hacked my own cars, both successfully (new BMS in my first EV) and unsuccessfully (fire in a PHEV)

But as a reporter and commentator it's my job to make sure people know both sides of the argument. Hopefully the more recent article addresses that. Reminding people that any modifications are undertaken at their own risk would be there for everything from overinflating tires to installing a new stereo. This mod goes in the same category. In most cases it won't make a slight bit of difference, but that little disclaimer stops someone from getting cross and saying "well, you didn't tell me".

In short, everyone here is an enthusiast and understands how the upgrade does what it does. Most general public consumers don't care and don't understand. Ignorance then leads to misunerstanding, which then leads to angry consumers.

I just make sure everyone understands that it's up to them, not You, me, or EVSEupgrade.com. The consumer makes the choice.

Does that mean I think this unit isn't up to scratch? No. I think it looks great and quite frankly, I've been thinking of getting one as the U.K. portable EVSE only offers 10A @230V.

Nikki.

I would just like to add that I have been using Phil's rev1 upgrade for several weeks now and it has been working great. I have installed L6 plugs at two locations where my car can sit for several hours taking advantage of quick opportunity charging. I like the idea of boosting it from 12 to 16 amps and will send mine in again for another upgrade as soon as it is available. Thanks again Phil for offering us a great alternative to multiple expensive EVSE installations.

Back