Ride quality versus the Chevy Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBELEAF said:
I've been driving my Volt for over a month now and tires are set to 35 psi and all stock. I don't know why we would have different handling experience when talking about the same car. Have you tried fast cornering or cornering at high speed like I did? Did your tires screech? Perhaps it could pushed further then Leaf, but I just don't like the tire screeching which Leaf did not have.
When I took quick turns at higher speeds in the LEAF on stock tires, the car felt off kilter as if only on two wheels to ground; I haven't had this feeling in the Volt. The Volt's stop distance is still not great and similar to the LEAF. With the MXM4s on the LEAF, the cornering problems went away and stop distance was much better; I loss about 2-3% on range maybe. By the way, the tire pressure on your Volt is too low; GM recommends 38 PSI on the 2012s. I keep mine at 41 cold. Many of us keep the LEAF at 40+ which tends to improve feedback & efficiency and I suspect also screeching.

Yep, my neighbor has a Volt and we swap from time to time so we both get to drive both cars on similar routes. I have driven both cars fast and hard and the Volt simply easily out handles the Leaf. Even the road test reports show a similar outcome...

IBELEAF said:
I've been driving my Volt for over a month now and tires are set to 35 psi and all stock. I don't know why we would have different handling experience when talking about the same car. Have you tried fast cornering or cornering at high speed like I did? Did your tires screech? Perhaps it could pushed further then Leaf, but I just don't like the tire screeching which Leaf did not have.

Finally took a test drive on the Leaf today. Talk about surpassing my expectations. I loved--LOVED--how it drove. It truly lived up to what I thought it would be--and more.

Only negative: the sales rep was clueless on all of the features. I had everything from reading this forum--and he was just stumbling and hemming and out of his element in explaining this car.

And that seems like a big problem when trying to sell the car--or put damn the crazy Time Magazine article saying the Leaf is a bust.

So--test drive over. And now I need to finalize how I get the best possible lease deal.

Wish me luck. And for everyone driving one, let me say this: IT IS A GREAT CAR.

Addendum...I will say that driving the Leaf with 2-3 adults in the back makes it feel like you're about to pop wheelies and I don't get that feeling in the wife's Prius. Of course that thing feels like a slow tank compared to Prince By-Tor.

woodyas said:
Finally took a test drive on the Leaf today. Talk about surpassing my expectations. I loved--LOVED--how it drove. It truly lived up to what I thought it would be--and more.

Only negative: the sales rep was clueless on all of the features. I had everything from reading this forum--and he was just stumbling and hemming and out of his element in explaining this car.

And that seems like a big problem when trying to sell the car--or put damn the crazy Time Magazine article saying the Leaf is a bust.

So--test drive over. And now I need to finalize how I get the best possible lease deal.

Wish me luck. And for everyone driving one, let me say this: IT IS A GREAT CAR.
I know you're talking about the Volt, but this is basically what I felt driving the Leaf on a test-drive. My other car will severely out-power and out-handle the Leaf, but there's something almost magical about the EV drive train.

I've not driven a Volt. Would like to. I cannot imagine it sways any more severely than the Leaf which, when turned back and forth quickly to induce sway, really, well it's like a leaf in the wind :) When not running the slalom type situation though it has a much sturdier feel than the third gen Prius and feels more solid, better built, and quieter.

My 2 cents...if you're really looking for performance, is either car (Leaf or Volt) what you want? Ride quality in my Leaf is just fine. I get in, I go to work, I get there, rinse and repeat! However, I am in Tampa which is flat straight roads. For those of you in the hinder lands where there are hills and bends, perhaps ride quality is an issue.
The tires on my Leaf or the Bridgestone Ecopia 422 series, which are LRR (Low Rolling Resistance). They are set at 35 PSI.
It is a very heavy car, 4200 Lbs GVW, but I like the way it feels. The Electric steering is not overly sensitive, the regenative braking not too soft, and being a 'new' car, I expected it to feel and drive differently from my other vehicles.
All said I really am glad I went with a Leaf over ICE!
But I never have driven a Tesla!!!! :lol:

Back