Running the AC while parked

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kovalb said:
GroundLoop said:
I wonder if the no-cooling in ACC mode is a bug.
It seems like the car believes it is cooling, based on indicators, but it is not.
I don't hear the AC Compressor.
No bug. Even ICE cars do not activate the climate control circuits in ACC mode; only in ON mode.
I'm sure GroundLoop meant ON mode, not ACC mode. Neither the AUTO nor the A/C button will light up in ACC mode, and the fan won't run. Echoing what I believe GroundLoop meant, I see no valid reason for hot air forever in ON mode (as opposed to READY mode) with the fan running and the A/C button lit up.

Ray

I've learned that if I leave the car on and get out with the key, the car will enter ACC mode after a few minutes. So, if you're depending on leaving the AC on to keep your furry friend or small child cool you have to leave a key in the car. If you leave one keyfob in the car and keep the other one in your pocket, you can lock the car and leave it running. Problem solved!

LEAFfan said:
For me, I believe the pre-cooling is a waste of energy. I tried pre-cooling yesterday for almost 40 minutes while connected to the station (our garage), but not charging. When we entered the car, it was cool, but it only lasted a few secs and had to use the A/C right away plus it made no more savings on the energy screen. It works just as well to just turn it on as soon as we are in the car, as it puts out high cooling right away.
I do like to run the A/C while waiting with the car in 'P'.

I have to agree with LEAFfan. I tried the pre-cooling a week ago. It was about 90 outside and I started the pre-cool about 30mins before we were leaving. Got in the car, and it was cool, but not that cool. We started driving (now with the AC off) and we started to get really warm. Had to crank up the AC again. Didn't seem to be worth the extra energy used. Might as well just turn on the AC when we start the car. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference. Just my opinion.

-Peter

prberg said:
LEAFfan said:
For me, I believe the pre-cooling is a waste of energy. I tried pre-cooling yesterday for almost 40 minutes while connected to the station (our garage), but not charging. When we entered the car, it was cool, but it only lasted a few secs and had to use the A/C right away plus it made no more savings on the energy screen. It works just as well to just turn it on as soon as we are in the car, as it puts out high cooling right away.
I do like to run the A/C while waiting with the car in 'P'.

I have to agree with LEAFfan. I tried the pre-cooling a week ago. It was about 90 outside and I started the pre-cool about 30mins before we were leaving. Got in the car, and it was cool, but not that cool. We started driving (now with the AC off) and we started to get really warm. Had to crank up the AC again. Didn't seem to be worth the extra energy used. Might as well just turn on the AC when we start the car. Not sure if it makes that much of a difference. Just my opinion.

-Peter
I don't believe you can ever pre-cool enough that you wouldn't need the AC for a while after a pre-cool. For example, try driving your car for 1/2 hour and have your interior nice and cool, then turn off the AC. I'll bet you won't last long and will have to turn it back on real soon. The reason is because while driving, you still have the sun beating into the car, so you will always need a certain amount of heat removal from the AC to remove this on going heat that's beating into your car anyway.

If you look at the energy window on AC usage, you will notice that the AC energy use peaks initially then after a while goes down to a low and flat/stable maintenance cooling level. So what you want is to find out how long the peak cooling period is and pre-cool to this amount of time only just before you get in. Anything longer is a waste of energy because it doesn't make the car cooler, but it's just maintaining the car at the set temperature level.

The whole idea is to avoid getting into a hot car. The idea is not to cool it down so much that you don't have to run the AC for a while after you get in. I don't think you can cool it down too much anyway because the pre-cool temperature is set to 75F and it can never go lower than 75F.

Volusiano said:
The whole idea is to avoid getting into a hot car. The idea is not to cool it down so much that you don't have to run the AC for a while after you get in. I don't think you can cool it down too much anyway because the pre-cool temperature is set to 75F and it can never go lower than 75F.

I think the pre-cool is one of the best features of the car. Really nice to walk out of work on a 100+ degree day and be able to sit in a car that is comfortable, and stays that way as you drive off.

I believe the pre-cool is fixed at 77F.

planet4ever said:
kovalb said:
GroundLoop said:
I wonder if the no-cooling in ACC mode is a bug.
It seems like the car believes it is cooling, based on indicators, but it is not.
I don't hear the AC Compressor.
No bug. Even ICE cars do not activate the climate control circuits in ACC mode; only in ON mode.
I'm sure GroundLoop meant ON mode, not ACC mode. Neither the AUTO nor the A/C button will light up in ACC mode, and the fan won't run. Echoing what I believe GroundLoop meant, I see no valid reason for hot air forever in ON mode (as opposed to READY mode) with the fan running and the A/C button lit up.

Ray
Quite right -- my mistake. For my penance I shall go read the tortured wording in the Owner's Manual about ON/READY/PARK/ACC/Power Button.

Every indication on the dash and fans is that the car A/C is running, only the compressor is not.

The information about automatically switching to ACC after 15 minutes of no-fob.. that's news to me. Can anyone confirm?

Back