San Diego Leaf Gathering #1 (Location Change)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sdbonez said:
uggh - got detoured at the last minute and am going to miss it. have a good time, guys - i'll catch ya' at the next one.
Ditto here. Too much to do on a deadline right now. maybe next time...

C'ya,
TT

My wife and I had a good time at the Home Town Buffet breakfast this morning.

Got some good info on the EV Project and SDG&E installation. I'm still waffeling on joining. Makes me wish I could order sooner so that I would have less time to waffel.

Met Leon from Nissan, and he explained to me why there will be no problem ordering with Nissan's new dealer allotment program.

Great to see everyone this morning, thanks for attending. When the dust settled, there were 16 of us that showed up....Thanks to Gary and his friend who drove down from Orange County, and Leon came as well from Mossy Nissan. It was a fun time, with great conversation...I look forward to doing it again soon....

Randy

Gary and I were discussing second meters and such so I went and dug this up.

SDG&E offers optional rates for charging PEVs that you can apply for that are based on the time of day you charge your electric vehicle. Time-of-Use (TOU) rates encourage customers to use energy to charge their PEVs when electricity demand is low.

There are currently three types of EV Time-of-Use (TOU) rates. EV-TOU and EV-TOU-3 allow customers with low home energy consumption--within Tier 1 and 2 of a domestic rate schedule--to continue being billed for their home energy use at the lower tier rates by metering the EV separately from their home usage.

EV-TOU-2, on the other hand will place the entire use of electricity within the home (including PEV charging) on the Time-of-Use (TOU) rate schedule. This rate can help those customers with higher energy usage manage their energy cost by having all energy billed based on when the energy is used.

EV-TOU: This rate requires the customer to have a second meter socket installed on the home to support a second meter dedicated to the EV. An electrician may be necessary for estimating installation costs, permitting, installation of the dedicated EV circuit and any other necessary upgrades.
EV-TOU-3: This rate uses a second meter with a dual meter adapter provided and installed by SDG&E so a second meter socket does not have to be installed by the customer. You may have to pay a monthly metering fee.
EV-TOU-2 (whole house TOU): This rate requires no additional hardware installation or any changes to the existing meter. The home and vehicle are billed on the same meter using the TOU rate.

Hi Randy,

Thanks so much for setting up the meeting today. We really enjoyed it.

We have a couple of questions for you. Who was your contact at Fontana Nissan?

Our second question did you or anyone you know leave a red umbrella at the meeting? We have it and we’d like to get it back to its owner.

Julia & Sev

mossyleaf said:
There are currently three types of EV Time-of-Use (TOU) rates.
Those of us in the EV Project will be "guinea pigs" for SDG&E's new experimental TOU rates for two years, and will not be able to choose which one we are put in--it will be randomly assigned. None of the 3 experimental rates correspond exactly with the current published TOU rates. After 12 months on the assigned experimental rate, you will be able to choose one of the other available rates. All of us will get a second meter installed for the EVSE circuit and its usage will be billed separately from the residential usage, but there will be no monthly fee for the second meter for the term of the project. What happens after those 24 months is still up in the air, it seems, but saving the ~$2K for the Blink charger and installation cost will be worth the hassle and uncertainty to me in the end, I think.

TT

Wow, the Mira Mesa HTB has better food than ours here, and a better selection,
including blueberry pancakes and .... oops, I remember now, this is the LEAF forum.

It was fun to meet more LEAF-neighbors, and (burp) the food was quite good.

My friend was able to finalize his order (accept his Dealer's Quote)
just late last night, and was quite surprised to see that his dealer (somewhat
inexperienced perhaps) had made the Quote expire at 6 AM this morning.
If he had not checked his email late last night, he would have been "too late"
to accept the quote.

So, apparently dealers can select any Quote-Expiration-Date/Time they want,
but I have not seen it mentioned before. So, caution when a dealer does not
respond with a quote "immediately".

Leon said that his mechanic, after some LEAF training, described the mechanical
brakes as quite "heavy duty", which is very good news for those LONG downhill
situations where Regen braking is not sufficient.

Are you San Diego "LEAF Blowers" going to get together for a pre-Christmas "SD Gathering #2"?

How about another Breakfast Buffet on the first Saturday of December (4 Dec), at the same great Mira Mesa Hometown Buffet location?

Any interest?

It would be great to meet you all at the San Diego LEAF Gathering #2. There are tons of great tips on this forum that are filling in the blanks for me. So that is Saturday, Dec 4th, breakfast (8:30 AM) at the Hometown Buffet in Mira Mesa? I have it on my calendar and will definitely be there, as I have already missed out on a lot. Thanks,

Mr. Lynn Laumann
La Jolla

Ok, I will drive down, and at least we will have two.

I suspect several others will read this and decide to attend, ...
after they get over the shock of reading about the First-Delivery,
to a member "our" forum, to be on 11 Dec 2010.

We have enough interest, so "SD Gathering #2" is "ON" for Saturday 4 Dec 2010.

About 8:30 AM (perhaps to 11:00) for a breakfast buffet at the Mira Mesa Hometown Buffet, about 5 miles east of 805, just south of the 5/805 split.
Earlier posts have the address, where about a dozen of us met for "SD Gathering #1".

Randy,
Can you edit the first post to update the title?

Sev and I would like to come and will get the notice out to the others in the San Diego Prius club--see you Saturday.

Julia

Great, this coming Saturday, 4 Dec 2010.
I plan to be there by 8:30, but might make it as early as 8:15 if there is little traffic and I manage to leave home on time (in my 2010 Prius).

Back