San Diego Meet, Apr 7, 9-12, Coda EV / Quick Charge Displays

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

Saturday, April 7, 2012, 9am-12pm

Hamburger Factory restaurant
14122 Midland Road
Poway, CA 92064

Phone: 858-486-4575
http://hamburgerfactory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.poway.org/Index.aspx?page=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be ready for a comprehensive LEAF quiz! The highest score gets a prize. Also, I hope to have a working prototype of the new LEAFscan that displays all your battery and car data straight from its computer.

DC quick charge demonstration, door prizes, new bigger meeting room, yummy food !!

8am-ish: The truly hard core LEAFers who want the best parking spot arrive. If you want one-on-one time with the most addicted EV aficionadoes, this is a great time. Plus, it should still be relatively cool.

9am - 10am: Arrivals, please park in the lot directly across Midland street from the train depot.
Breakfast in the back room reserved for us at Hamburger Factory restaurant.

10am - 10:55am: We're moving up to a bigger meeting room. General meeting will be at building across the courtyard near the windmill, called Templars Hall. It's the larger wooden building. We will pass the hat for $3-$5 typically to pay for the room rental from the city.

10:55am - 11:05am: Intermission

11:05am - 12pm: Second half of meeting, then picking up chairs and clean up.

After 12 noon: Lots of mulling around the cars that usually lasts through 1pm.

Displays:

Andromeda Power will display and demonstrate their DC quick charger

Marvin K. Brown auto dealership has been invited to display the new Coda electric car (they are also the Fisker dealer)

Car2go will display their Smart electric vehicle.

Guests:

I've invited Luigi Giubbolini, President of Andromedapower.com to our meeting. He's producing an exciting line of DC quick chargers, and is located right here in sunny SoCal. We should have this unit operational to try on your car.

We will have Masao Nishikawa at our April 7 meeting to talk a bit about the installed JFE DC quick charger at the SDG&E Energy Innovation Center, 4760 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92117, west of the 805 freeway. Their charger has a 25kWh battery and 20kW charger that draws from the grid to recharge that battery, all in one big container, and a pedestal and ChaDeMo connector to recharge your car at 50kW.

Mike Cully of Car2Go has confirmed he will be returning (I think he's having too much fun at his job!). Come out and check out the Smart EV by-the-minute rental.

Andy Hoskinson and David Gatcha of Ecotality / Blink have confirmed their team will be returning. One of these times he'll be telling about a DC charger somewhere!

Hopefully, we'll have updates from EV Oasis and ChargeBliss.

Also invited are folks from:

California Public Utilities Commission (the folks who regulate the electric demand chargers for utilities)

California Center for Sustainable Energy (the folks who send you your $2500 - $5000 rebate check)

SanDag (The San Diego Association of Governments is the San Diego region's primary public planning, transportation, and research agency)

City of Poway

City of San Diego's Mayor's office

NRG/eVgo, the folks just gifted by the State of California to install $100 million in EV infrastructure throughout the state, including 200 DC quick chargers over 4 years.

Nearby charging locations:

Brand new L2 charger, no card required at:

1.2 miles away:
Walgreens
13390 Poway Road
Poway, CA 92064

Three L2 chargers, no card required at:

1.7 miles away:
Mossy Nissan
14100 Poway Road
Poway, CA 92064

Plus, we will have at least one DC charger operational and on site, courtesy of Andromeda Power. If you need a charge from this charger, please reserve a time.

TonyWilliams said:
Guest speakers list is getting longer:

Ecotality
EV Oasis
Car2Go
1st DC charger install (projected) property manager

I'm interested (although no where near CA) in the speakers listed. Particularly what Ecotality has to say. The Cars2Go is an interesting topic too, reading on these forums that now many of the public spaces are occupied by their cars. The QC install is good stuff too.

Would there be notes available from the meeting? I'd be grateful of someone made those available when the time comes. Thanks!

Hope you guys have a successful meeting!

Would folks be interested in having a few other EVs displayed?

It would be easy, I think, to get a BMW Active E, and the Car2Go folks will have one or more of their by-the-minute rental SmartEVs.

In addition, I now know at least one Fisker Karma owner (who loves the car) that I can at least ask if he'd like a gratis breakfast while he shows off his ride.

We'll all park across Midland, opposite the train station, in a group this time, instead of fighting for random parking spots.

TonyWilliams said:
We'll all park across Midland, opposite the train station, in a group this time, instead of fighting for random parking spots.

Nice suggestion Tony. This will improve our visibility and make a statement about the numbers of these vehicles already "out there". I'm looking forward to the update reports on EV Oasis and the quick charge solution in Santa Ysabel.

TonyWilliams said:
In addition, I now know at least one Fisker Karma owner (who loves the car) that I can at least ask if he'd like a gratis breakfast while he shows off his ride.
I would like to get a closer look at the Fisker--I saw one at the SD Auto Show last month and it looked impressive, but they wouldn't let you get in it, raise the lids, or otherwise check it out closely.

Unfortunately, we will be out of town that weekend and can't attend. :(

TT

Andromeda Power has confirmed that they will have their Orca DC fast charger on site, and operational, at our next meeting on April 7.

Those coming to the event on e-fumes (already, one LEAFer has announces a 130+ mile drive to attend) should get your name in the hat for a DC charge.

Thanks,

Tony

TonyWilliams said:
Saturday, Feb 25, 2012, 9am-12pm
[...]
Richard Adbala, Operations Manager for Aladdin Airport Parking to discuss their addition of 500 new parking spots, 115 of them with charging for EVs. In addition, they have valet parking now for EVs to charge on 120v, and are in discussion for a DC charger.
[...]
March 1 was our first time with air travel since moving to Encinitas. After exhausting a few possibilities for rides to the airport, I realized that the LEAF has already been down there and back, and so taking it down there shouldn't be a problem. Except, of course, for parking, which is why most folks try to hitch rides down there instead. I hadn't used the parking garage method, so along comes this offer, and how can we refuse? Parking spaces for EV's, and an outlet to connect to!

Aladdin_3095.jpg

This is what you see when you drive in. There is an office and some elevators opposite the driveway you enter and leave from. Valet spots are on the opposite side of the pillars. The EV spots are in the foreground. It wasn't clear if we were using valet spots or not, but we were charged only for ordinary indoor parking. Currently, level 1 charging consists of one AC outlet. So far, they've never had more than one EV in there at a time. So, with the expansion, it will only get better.

Aladdin_3093.jpg

They asked that we set the timer to charge during super off-peak. Easy enough. The first night away, the charge terminated an hour early. Turns out, it only needed four hours to bring the charge back up to 80%, since I had charged to 100% before leaving. You can surmise that I didn't need a charge at all, but I did all this more of an experiment to go through all the motions. In terms of what we had available, four nights of charging (so 20 hours) would have been enough to take a LEAF from empty to full. I was concerned that the EVSE would still be there on our return, but all was well. It had showed being unplugged the last night we were away, but on return (when these photos were taken) I found it with the power cord looped through the hook. Someone was smarter than me; I was trying to figure out how I'd put the hook through the box, but I didn't have any time to play with it on our departure day.

It's interesting to note, given our lack of charging infrastructure, that one well placed 120V outlet suddenly means you can drive your EV to the airport!

Guests:

I've invited Luigi Giubbolini, President of Andromedapower.com to our meeting. He's producing an exciting line of DC quick chargers, and is located right here in sunny SoCal. More to follow on that.

Wow, the Italians have nailed the sweet spot with these DC charger. This is the charger I have been looking for. I am 6 blocks off the 580 Freeway (San Leandro, Estudillo exit) and would love to hook one of these up to my second meter (125 A breaker in subpanel) and make it available via PlugShare. It is too bad it does not have a Point of Sale (POS) option. Not that I was thinking of making any money, it is just I would want to offset some of the cost if it got used a lot. I would think I could plug it directly into my pre existing IEC-60309 connecter (rated at 125 A). No hassle from the city or PG&E. :D The big questions is do you trust Italian engineering???

You know I really thought Phil Sadow would have come up with this first. :!:

Jim

Hamburger Factory restaurant
14122 Midland Road
Poway, CA 92064

I would love to go but I don’t have a towable turbine hitch to the back of my Leaf like Phil Sadow. :( So I don’t know how I could make the 476 mile trip without one (952 total miles). Maybe Phil would like to take a “charge as we go” caravan to Poway? :?: That would be news worthy. :!: What if the turbo broke down. Would we then be stranded?

Jim

JimLovewell said:
It is too bad it does not have a Point of Sale (POS) option. Not that I was thinking of making any money, it is just I would want to offset some of the cost if it got used a lot. I would think I could plug it directly into my pre existing IEC-60309 connecter (rated at 125 A). No hassle from the city or PG&E. :D The big questions is do you trust Italian engineering???

They're working on it, and I intend to add it to my DC charger(s) that I purchased. Is that a three phase connector?

It uses Microsoft software to run it which I'm definitely afraid of !!!!

By the way, I flew up to the Dec 3 Bay meeting. I'm told that those planes return to San Diego and need paying passengers!

Update to guests: we may have the folks who installed the JFE DC charger (with 25kWh of batteries) for SDGE&E. I invited eVgo after their $100 million dollar windfall from the state. Also, I think Phil from California Center for Sustainable Energy will be present.

Like always, jam packed !!!! Door prizes, longest LEAF drive to the event always gets a t-shirt, best quiz result gets a prize, and probably a few others (like most modifications, highest serial number).

Is that a three phase connector?

No, the IEC60309 is a 125 Amp, 240 V, Single Phase, 3-wire, Watertight Connector. The second TOU meter is at my residence. I want to get a Tesla Model S. So, since I was spending so much on the electrical upgrade anyway I put in a connection suitable for the Tesla.

Jim

Back