San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them sooner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capstone has a 60kW model (C60) that I believe costs about $70k. If you have a good use for the heat, then this wouldn't be that bad of an idea, especially with the current low cost of Natural Gas. In SoCal you can use it to run an Absorption Chiller unit for some massive cooling. :)

Or you could install a C30 (that same model I have on the trailer), cap the QC at 49kW and get the other 19kW from the grid.

If you base a QC solely off a genset, it helps efficiency quite a bit to skip the conversion to 60hz AC and go right from the alternator to DC into the car. This is what I'm doing on the trailer.

-Phil

Well with the 1800 rpm diesel, I wondered how many kWh you could get into the pack driving the wheels directly in a reverse dynamo sort of configuration. With that Isuzu BJ4JJ1X, the data sheet says you'd get 2.1 gal per hour at half loading, about 36.5 kW gross output from the engine ~0.58 gal/kWh... at $5/gal... $0.28/kWh "theoretical" cost of a rotating kWh from the engine.

Of course that Capstone is spinning much faster, which makes direct coupling significantly more difficult. Fortunately, it is made to have a lot more flexibility in its electrical output, DC into the pack. Much cheaper fuel, too. :)

Ingineer said:
In SoCal you can use it to run an Absorption Chiller unit for some massive cooling. :)

Ah yes, what a perfect way to replace some of those electrical parasites previously needed by the host site, reducing the overall demand charges.

We could also use an active cooling system powered by the charger in hotter climates. No more 9 bars to scare you, Tony. ;)

Jeremy

VW ERL worked for me today! Not sure if it was the firmware update I just got on the LEAF or something they did to the charger...

Tried to use the VW ERL Blink again today and it seemed down. The big screen display on top (normally showing an intructional video) was just stuck on a web page, and trying to wave the Blink card didn't activate anything. The nearby Chargepoint L2s had a note saying they will soon be 'private' and so visitors should use the Blink instead. Hopefully the Blink gets sorted out to be made reliable. Also, this "answer" doesn't help those vehicles without CHAdeMO that want to charge there.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Blink seemed down and it appears to be running Windows? Oh dear. I also hope publicly available, open and accessible charge stations going private does not become a trend. Why do I have a feeling someone looking for a charge will be in for a big surprise.

palmermd said:
Just look on the Blink map and see if it is online before heading out.
The unit in question does not even show up on the Blink map. Actually I don't see any CHAdeMO units in California on the Blink map yet.

hence the use of pink font for sarcasm. I'll try taking a drive to the bay area once there are some units that seem to work consistently. I guess for now I'm still stuck in the Prius for my bay area trips.

Based on San Diego Balboa Park Blinks, whether a Blink charger shows on or off line, neither gives a direct correlation as to whether it works when you get there.

Ecotality installs many Blinks that will not be public.... They get paid by the government for installing it, not making it public or not.

The Blink QC at VW ERL seemed to be working again today.
But, there was already one LEAF camped out there, already full.

I think some commuters to neighboring businesses (such as Oracle) may have found that location to park their LEAFs all day while at work.
For the slow L2s there, this made some sense. For the "replacement" Blink QC this doesn't make so much sense as it will fill their LEAF in ~30 minutes, and then they are just tying up the parking space for the rest of the day, denying travelers / visitors access.
Hopefully people heed the suggestion on there to park there for no more than 1 hour max. This ought to be a shared / generally available resource, not private parking for certain people who work in the area.

TEG said:
But, there was already one LEAF camped out there, already full..
Take a pic and shame them publically. Leave a note, too. Perhaps one of these would help. http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/give-a-notice/give-a-notice.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Until the Bishop Ranch QC comes online on the Blink Maps, If you call the Blink customer service @888.998.2546, and ask the phone agent for the status of Blink QC charger S/N 65904 located at 2440 Camino Ramon in San Ramon Ca. 94583, they will tell you if it is up or still out for "maintenance". With that you can plan your trip accordingly.

Try it. If enough of us call and hassle them about it, maybe they will get the thing up and online!

Today April 26. 2012, I stop by the 2440 Camino Ramon in San Ramon Ca to check out the Blink chargers, the location has 2 working L2 chargers and a not working quick charger.

GoingGreener said:
Popped by Crissy Field this morning. The gate is currently BEHIND the charging unit. A silver converted Prius was plugged into one of the 120 outlets (a testing vehicle?). A paper sign was posted that on Feb 27th (yesterday ) the chargers were being tested and please do not use.

The two L2s were accessible as were the 120 outlets (2 under each L2), but I wanted to check with Crissy Field staff about today's status before plugging in. Someone checked for me and at that time (about 10am), the chargers were not turned on and they could have powered it up for me if I wanted to charge for about 30 mins. The techs were still working on it and said it would be turned on after 1pm today. I didn't want to slow them down, so I thanked the staff member for the offer. There are 3 parking spaces that are marked. I forgot to check the wording... so 2 could be charging at L2 and one on trickle if they brought their own EVSE to plug in at a 120 outlet. Unfortunately, the spaces are in a small area by themselves, so there's no other parking spots to safely stretch cords. There are spaces across the aisle and with extension cords the 120 outlets can be reached. But safety-wise, that's probably unacceptable in a recreation area with heavy traffic of all kinds. The word was the chargers were gonna be available after 1pm today, but if anyone is heading there from a distance whereas a charge is mandatory, I would check in with Crissy Field beforehand, just in case, since it looks like this project is still a work in progress until all the wind turbines get installed, etc... I posted some phone #s in earlier posts.

No L3s at Crissy Field, tho it would be sooo nice.

Well, I'm happy to report that the Crissy Field charging is still up and operational. Made for a nice trip to the Exploratorium today. They have posted "2 hours maximum charge", which was more than enough for us.

But, there was already one LEAF camped out there, already full.
Full? How's that possible? There are 2 spots and 2 connectors at the Blink QC. So once the first LEAF is done charging (which can't take more than 30min) you can recharge your own car. It's of course not cool to camp at any type of charger but at least this one needs two unconsiderate LEAFs or MiEV drivers to be there at he same time to get your stranded.

ElectricVehicle said:
The Official CHADeMO Quick Charger map for the US (actually North America, Europe) http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210740974077298891697.0004ac7e66a8121c75d8e&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This is from http://www.chademo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Who maintains that map? There are 5 in DFW, TX (maybe 7 by now) and it only shows the one that has been there since last year.

THANK YOU MUCH VW ERL in Belmont for providing the Blink dual port quick charging!

Confirmed that our CHAdeMO port works! Used it yesterday on our way to and from the Hybrids to Hotrods event in San Jose.

First cord we used in the morning didn't seem to work when we plugged in. Maybe being newbies, we didn't apply enough pressure. Didn't want to break anything for those following us! Tried the 2nd cord and that worked easily. Re-parked the car to be in front of the other cord as they don't/don't easily reach the adjacent space. Took us 39 mins to get from 70% to 98% (per Blink). We asked for 100%, but stopped it to continue our trip. 5 Battery Bars at Start and Finish.

On the way home, another LEAF was charging and we plugged up to the one which didn't work for us earlier in the day. Worked! It kicked in automatically when the other one finished. Started at 41% charge. 19 mins later it stopped at 89% (per Blink). We asked for 90%. 6 Battery Bars at Start and Finish this time. (Cuz car was in hot sun all day?)

Quick charging is sooo nice! And having the next car plugged in start automatically when the first one is finished... oh, sooo nice too! Thanks again VW!!
Looking forward to more QCs so we can drive 100% electric everywhere!

GoingGreener said:
...First cord we used in the morning didn't seem to work when we plugged in. Maybe we were newbies and didn't use enough pressure. Didn't want to break anything for those following us!...

Those {Yazaki} CHAdeMO plugs aren't totally intuitive.
You need to push the plug part way in (so that the rubber boot on the handle compresses a bit) before you start pulling the lever. If you pull the lever too soon it may or may not engage properly.

Back