SDG&E Plug-In Vehicle Workplace Charging Seminar 10/18

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

I wanted to let folks know that SDG&E is going to be hosting an upcoming new seminar on the subject of Plug-In Vehicles and Workplace Charging on October 18 at 9:30am at our Energy Innovations Center (4760 Clairemont Mesa Blvd in San Diego). Admission is free and a continental breakfast will be served at 9:00am.

Matt Zerega in our Clean Transportation group will be leading the seminar. If your employer is thinking about implementing workplace charging, this seminar will cover many of the relevant topics (see below). I’ve seen the slides Matt is preparing, and there is a lot of great information that will be discussed...If you're interested in attending, please use the registration link below. Please feel free to pass the information on your your Facilities Manager or other interested parties...

Thanks, Randy

Registration Link:
http://seminars.sdge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and then look for the class on Tuesday, the 18th. (#6135)

• Charging equipment options, from standard outlets to DC Fast Charging
• Important considerations for your workplace charging policy
• Factors affecting utility billing costs for charging
• Parking management, usage monitoring and pay-for-use options
• Available incentives
• Factors affecting installation costs

Learn from an expert:
Matt Zerega is a Product Innovations Project Manager for SDG&E’s Clean Transportation group. He has a 4+ year academic background in automotive technology and over 15 years’ experience in global consulting, merchant power and utilities focusing on energy economics, financial analysis and information technology.

Hopefully somebody can attend and report.

1. What is the best way to kill EVs (Demand Charges)?
2. What is the best way to kill small PV systems (unreasonable distribution charges)?
3. etc.

Not sure exactly how to respond, Gary, as those don't seem to be questions but statements.

I will say that Matt will be talking about demand charges and educating people what they are about and what strategies can be employed to mitigate them.

One idea to avoid demand charges: As part of the total solution in a workplace environment, having some 120v L1 charging available can go a long way towards meeting employee needs without incurring large demand charges.

I would encourage all interested parties to attend, as I think you'll get valuable information out of the seminar.

Randy

davewill said:
Your link isn't working. It returns: "Your session has timed out. " and there's no obvious way to find the correct page.

I fixed it by changing the link to the main seminars page. Look for the session on Tuesday the 18th and click on that link...

Thanks, Randy

garygid said:
What is the best way to kill EVs (Demand Charges)?
Demand charges may be one of the main obstacles to L3 quick charging in California. But few if any employers would be contemplating L3 chargers. They're looking at L2 where demand charge is one issue to consider, but probably a minor issue with an L2 EVSE drawing something like 3.8 kW versus say a commercial espresso machine drawing 4 kW.

Moreover many workplaces will have demand management systems in place, and an EVSE will be just one more component in that system - and quite a minor one compared to air conditioning and lights. Ironically I think an office building would be one of the technically easiest locations to site a 60 kW L3 quick charger because it would have enough other load to balance in the demand management system.

Although I doubt if employers are considering L3's, it would be very interesting to know how well L3's from Blink and other manufacturers might fit into a demand management system. That is, when the building needs to raise the air conditioning power for a while, could it tell the charger to reduce its draw from 60 kW to 30 kW or 10 kW? For that matter, since cars are typically parked at work far longer than would be needed to fully recharge on L2, could the demand management system temporarily shut off 10 of 20 L2 stations, or make all 20 stations reduce from 3.3 kW to 1 kW? If the charging equipment played well with demand management systems, then charging at work might be an easier sell to employers.

Back