Sell the Leaf for a Model 3 or not?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
That's exactly what the dealer tech told me and it's happening now, i.e. there're no more of the 24 kWh
batteries available.

I got a replacement 24kWh battery installed on Dec 3 this year. So are you saying I got one of the last 24kWh batteries?

JPWhite said:
lorenfb said:
That's exactly what the dealer tech told me and it's happening now, i.e. there're no more of the 24 kWh
batteries available.

I got a replacement 24kWh battery installed on Dec 3 this year. So are you saying I got one of the last 24kWh batteries?

Well, did you? Did you ask anyone or even "press" the issue?

lorenfb said:
JPWhite said:
lorenfb said:
batteries available.

Well, did you? Did you ask anyone or even "press" the issue?

Give me a bleeding break. At that time there was no indication of any "shortage" so why would I even ask or "press" anything?

My point to you is that there is no indication of any shortage.

JPWhite said:
Give me a bleeding break. At that time there was no indication of any "shortage" so why would I even ask or "press" anything?

My point to you is that there is no indication of any shortage.

Too bad you didn't "press" the issue, you may have been upgraded!

There still one glaring issue that no one has seemed to have addressed yet and that's the whole "dealership experience." I have friends and clients that own/lease Teslas and have told me about the wonderful buying experience, and how quick and easy it was when their vehicle needed service. The whole dealership model is going to become obsolete because of companies like Tesla. I have literally never heard of a pleasant dealership experience from anyone buying/leasing or getting services done.

Even my Model 3 reservation experience was super pleasant to anything I ever experienced at the Nissan dealership. Same goes for taking Teslas for a test drive, the staff is actually knowledgeable about the vehicle and doesn't pressure you into making a purchase. The same cannot be said about the experience that I've had with Nissan, the salesman knew very little about the Leaf and flat out provided completely false info. He tried telling me that I could charge the car with the included factory 110V charging cable in 8 - 10 hours from 0 - 100%...lol. Luckily I already knew about the Leaf beforehand so I just corrected everything he said. But the haggle BS that followed was a nightmare like it always is at every dealership. And don't ever get me started about servicing, it took 7 visits for them to finally identify the cause of my leaky tire!

Sorry, but I am never going through the hassle and frustration that comes from the dealership experience ever again. Tesla is definitely the way to go.

kevintylernelson said:
I have literally never heard of a pleasant dealership experience from anyone buying/leasing or getting services done.

Really?

kevintylernelson said:
Even my Model 3 reservation experience was super pleasant to anything I ever experienced at the Nissan dealership.

Tesla is always "pleasant" when they need money!

lorenfb said:
kevintylernelson said:
I have literally never heard of a pleasant dealership experience from anyone buying/leasing or getting services done.

Really?

kevintylernelson said:
Even my Model 3 reservation experience was super pleasant to anything I ever experienced at the Nissan dealership.

Tesla is always "pleasant" when they need money, which is frequently!

lorenfb said:
kevintylernelson said:

Really?

kevintylernelson said:

Yes, really. Everyone I know as had to go through the BS haggling process. Whether it's the "well the deal's only good for today only" or "we can't give you that upgrade at that price" or "after we add on the warranty fees, dealership fees, transport fees, your price is really this number". Screw that! I want the Apple Store buying experience, the price is the price, no hidden software fees, no haggling, walk out with your shiny new device directly from the manufacturer.

You must not be talking from experience communicating with Tesla. Tesla is a fantastic company that actually pushed these dinosaur car companies into actually innovating beyond crummy ICE vehicles. Go for a test drive in a Model S or X and you'll experience what a great car buying experience is and should be.

kevintylernelson said:
lorenfb said:
kevintylernelson said:

Really?

kevintylernelson said:

Yes, really. Everyone I know as had to go through the BS haggling process. Whether it's the "well the deal's only good for today only" or "we can't give you that upgrade at that price" or "after we add on the warranty fees, dealership fees, transport fees, your price is really this number". Screw that! I want the Apple Store buying experience, the price is the price, no hidden software fees, no haggling, walk out with your shiny new device directly from the manufacturer.

You must not be talking from experience communicating with Tesla. Tesla is a fantastic company that actually pushed these dinosaur car companies into actually innovating beyond crummy ICE vehicles. Go for a test drive in a Model S or X and you'll experience what a great car buying experience is and should be.

Sorry you feel that you made a mistake buying/leasing your Leaf and having to deal with "the typical ICEV dealership".
Maybe consider selling or finding a way to opt-out of your lease, and then buying TSLA stock with the proceeds and
waiting for the Model 3. Besides, it's somewhat condescending to be seen driving a Leaf verses a Tesla, right?

lorenfb said:
kevintylernelson said:
lorenfb said:
Really?

Sorry you feel that you made a mistake buying/leasing your Leaf and having to deal with "the typical ICEV dealership".
Maybe consider selling or finding a way to opt-out of your lease, and then buying TSLA stock with the proceeds and
waiting for the Model 3. Besides, it's somewhat condescending to be seen driving a Leaf verses a Tesla, right?

Saturn started using the "no haggle" business model a few decades ago. They were proud of it, and many people thought it was a great idea. :roll: Tesla is doing the same thing, and it keeps their prices artificially high. They can do that because they have a niche product with a long lead time. Because the Leaf is sub 30k, it is not, so there is room for going back and forth to cut down on the added fees that dealers dream up.

lorenfb said:
kevintylernelson said:
lorenfb said:

You seem to misunderstand, actually I DO NOT regret leasing my Leaf, it's been a fantastic car and I feel privileged to be driving it. I've recommended the Leaf to a number of people, prior to the Model 3 announcement that is. Not because I feel the Leaf is an "inferior" vehicle, or any other EV for that matter. But it still doesn't excuse the terrible dealership experience that consumers are forced to go through when buying/leasing from third-party dealerships.

Dealerships were originally designed to protect the consumers best interests when cars were becoming mainstream in America. It has since devolved into an amalgamation of shady business practices, predatory lending, and special interest lobbying. Dealerships are only out to protect their own interests not the consumers. Why do you think they fight so hard to block direct to consumer sales, it's fear because they know damn well people will embrace this sales method with open arms and never look back.

kevintylernelson said:
You seem to misunderstand, actually I DO NOT regret leasing my Leaf, it's been a fantastic car and I feel privileged to be driving it. I've recommended the Leaf to a number of people, prior to the Model 3 announcement that is. Not because I feel the Leaf is an "inferior" vehicle, or any other EV for that matter. But it still doesn't excuse the terrible dealership experience that consumers are forced to go through when buying/leasing from third-party dealerships.

Dealerships were originally designed to protect the consumers best interests when cars were becoming mainstream in America. It has since devolved into an amalgamation of shady business practices, predatory lending, and special interest lobbying. Dealerships are only out to protect their own interests not the consumers. Why do you think they fight so hard to block direct to consumer sales, it's fear because they know damn well people will embrace this sales method with open arms and never look back.
Sometimes I seriously believe Tesla will be an amazing success due to the direct sales model and avoiding all the dealer BS.

At Tesla we can order what we want and everyone pays the same based on options chosen. Compared to the dealer experience where we all feel ripped off every time we go in to trade vehicles or for service. I cannot recall any good experience at ANY dealership.

For this reason alone there is a good chance I will chose Tesla for my next vehicle.

kevintylernelson said:
There still one glaring issue that no one has seemed to have addressed yet and that's the whole "dealership experience." I have friends and clients that own/lease Teslas and have told me about the wonderful buying experience, and how quick and easy it was when their vehicle needed service. The whole dealership model is going to become obsolete because of companies like Tesla. I have literally never heard of a pleasant dealership experience from anyone buying/leasing or getting services done.
For my last 4 new cars (3 purchased, 1 leased) I got, all were pleasant experiences: 02 Maxima, 04 350Z, 06 Prius, '13 Leaf (lease). I wouldn't hesitate to at least shop at the 3 dealers involved again (but for the first two cars, they were in another state).

I will admit that w/3 cars that I accompanied or helped others semi-recently when they were buying, experiences were mixed: 07 Altima Hybrid (ok and one TERRIBLE dealer (I go out of my way to avoid them for purchasing/leasing; heard 2 other negative experiences from others I know re: that dealer)), '11 Prius (good dealer and ok dealer), '13 Prius (bad experiences). Some of it also is related to how low someone wants to go vs. taking what a dealer that's a straight shooter (where I got my 06 Prius) openly advertises.
kevintylernelson said:
The same cannot be said about the experience that I've had with Nissan, the salesman knew very little about the Leaf and flat out provided completely false info. He tried telling me that I could charge the car with the included factory 110V charging cable in 8 - 10 hours from 0 - 100%...lol. Luckily I already knew about the Leaf beforehand so I just corrected everything he said.
I never needed to ask any info but yes, there are PLENTY of horror stories and lots of misinformation. :( I don't doubt them at all. I got a lot of charging time misinformation by the ride along guy in a Merc B-Class ED a few weeks ago.

As for Tesla service experience, "the grass is always greener on the other side". I guess you haven't paid enough attention on "TMC" and other places.

Look at these, for example.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-center-wait-times-post-your-results.75956/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/trunk-closing-problem.74246/#post-1652669
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/driver-door-latch-confused.74558/#post-1658154
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/frustrated-with-tesla-service-center.71274/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/disappointing-service-turnaround.56562/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-s-non-drivable-after-multiple-error-messages.44436/#post-940823
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/elon-i-think-it%E2%80%99s-terrible-to-make-a-profit-on-service.65766/page-2#post-1423889
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-service-center-needs-to-expand-fast.45470/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-backog-especially-in-ca.68704/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-backog-especially-in-ca.68704/#post-1495229

And once more and more Teslas go out of warranty, perhaps there will be more folks unhappy w/the service experience?
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ouch-first-huge-repair-bill.70396/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-s-door-handel-failure.78976/

kevintylernelson said:

Even my Model 3 reservation experience was super pleasant to anything I ever experienced at the Nissan dealership. Same goes for taking Teslas for a test drive, the staff is actually knowledgeable about the vehicle and doesn't pressure you into making a purchase. The same cannot be said about the experience that I've had with Nissan, the salesman knew very little about the Leaf and flat out provided completely false info. He tried telling me that I could charge the car with the included factory 110V charging cable in 8 - 10 hours from 0 - 100%...lol. Luckily I already knew about the Leaf beforehand so I just corrected everything he said. But the haggle BS that followed was a nightmare like it always is at every dealership. And don't ever get me started about servicing, it took 7 visits for them to finally identify the cause of my leaky tire!

Sorry, but I am never going through the hassle and frustration that comes from the dealership experience ever again. Tesla is definitely the way to go.

sorry your dealership experience has been poor. I am on my 3rd LEAF with 3 different dealers but at least I found one I will return to

FYI; you might see a "bit" of a difference as Tesla grows. I can recount hundreds of wonderful experiences with small businesses along with hundreds of horror stories with franchisees of large corporations....

smkettner said:
At Tesla we can order what we want and everyone pays the same based on options chosen. Compared to the dealer experience where we all feel ripped off every time we go in to trade vehicles or for service. I cannot recall any good experience at ANY dealership.
At Tesla, you can feel happy knowing that you are getting ripped off the exact same as everyone else. It's the great equalizer.

I actually agree with everything you've said positive about Tesla and negative about car dealers. I felt I needed to offer the above. I've been considering a Model S the last few weeks and that's how it's felt at times. Perhaps "ripped off" is the wrong wording; maybe "pay the same premium pricing".

jlv said:
smkettner said:
At Tesla, you can feel happy knowing that you are getting ripped off the exact same as everyone else. It's the great equalizer.

I actually agree with everything you've said positive about Tesla and negative about car dealers. I felt I needed to offer the above. I've been considering a Model S the last few weeks and that's how it's felt at times. Perhaps "ripped off" is the wrong wording; maybe "pay the same premium pricing".
Re: the bolded part, that's true unless one buys "inventory cars" or buys used Teslas. And there was some ruckus regarding some supposed discounts for awhile (e.g. http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/10/01/elon-musk-furious-after-catching-wind-of-discounted-tesla/). Or, when Tesla chooses to rejigger the available models, battery capacities and pricing.

And, they could still rip you off on trade in. You can find some legitimate stories of this (along w/some w/unrealistic expectations) by Googling for site:teslamotorsclub.com trade in too low.

Back