Service Campaign Announced By Nissan for Restart Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

Note: I am re-posting this to a separate thread to make sure no one misses it. Everything that came before on the A/C issue was speculation, now we have the official word from Nissan.

Service campaign to be announced: see video from Nissan EVP Andy Palmer

updating software on all cars starting next week

http://www.nissan-zeroemission.com/EN/LIBRARY/movie.html?bcpid904779411001?bctid=808247873001

He says in the video 8,000 leaf cars produced to date

transcript:Nissan EVP Andy Palmer spoke with the Nissan Media Center to update on developments with the Nissan Leaf.

Q1. What's the latest on the Nissan Leaf and how will the issue be addressed?

A1. We are announcing a service campaign for the Nissan Leaf. We've produced almost 8,000 Leafs since the start of production in December, and what we've found is a problem. The incidence of the problem, which I will explain in a moment, is only on a very small proportion of the vehicles. However, we've decided to perform a service campaign for all of the vehicles that we've produced and sold. I want to emphasize that the issue is nothing to do with safety-related (issues). Nothing at all. The issue we have is the car will drive happily, but on some occasions when you key off, the car won't restart. Now that's an inconvenience to the customer for sure, and we're not in the business of inconveniencing our customers. So, even though the incidence and occurrence is very small, we've decided to reprogram the software and basically put that fix into the hands of all of our customers.

Q2. How long will the campaign take to roll out and what should current Nissan Leaf owners do?

A2. Well, time is of the essence and we absolutely don't want to inconvenience our customers, so we need to go as quickly as possible. We've understood the root cause of the problem. The engineers are just finishing off the software reprogramming, and our intention is to start the service campaign next week. Next week means we are going to contact all the customers that we've sold Nissan Leaf to, or they can contact us, and we'll program into their diaries a convenient moment, and we'll reprogram their software.

Q3. Since the tragic events of March 11, production in Japan and rollout has been affected. Can you tell us the company's current expectations for further global rollout of the Nissan Leaf this year?

A3. To date, we've made almost 8,000 vehicles, which makes us - if not the biggest - one of the biggest producers of Electric Vehicles in the world. So, it was going well, and the start of production of a brand new car -- brand new technical concept, has gone remarkably smoothly, thanks to the experience that Nissan has had in the past.
The earthquake has inconvenienced us -- it's stopped the track and, as everybody knows, all of the vehicle manufacturers, not only in Japan but all around the world, have problems of supply. The good news is that Oppama has restarted - that's the manufacturing site for Nissan Leaf. We're producing batteries in AESC (Automotive Energy Supply Corp.), so our in-house plant is now producing cars.

We still have some issues in terms of supply of parts from suppliers and we're managing those on a day-by-day basis. But we fully expect to be back to full capacity in the very-near future, and those lost sales we're going to endeavor to catch up in the second half of the year. There's an awful lot of customers waiting, and it's our intention to satisfy that demand - huge pent up demand - as quickly as we can.

###
Nissan regrets any inconvenience caused by this issue and thanks its customers for their understanding as it is quickly resolved.

i wish it said what they are doing for cars that are built but not in hands of owners yet.
particularly those already arrived in US.

thankyouOB said:
i wish it said what they are doing for cars that are built but not in hands of owners yet.
particularly those already arrived in US.

Many people have reported cars on hold at Long Beach. They are probably waiting for the fix to be released next week and then they will begin updating the cars before shipping them. According to what I've read, the fix might also include an evac/reload of the A/C system.

It's still a bit thin on details for my liking, but still better than the response we got from NNA.

But one thing is certain from my own perspective....my car hasn't exhibited this problem and I won't be doing this software upgrade unless it does.

mwalsh said:
It's still a bit thin on details for my liking, but still better than the response we got from NNA.

But one thing is certain from my own perspective....my car hasn't exhibited this problem and I won't be doing this software upgrade unless it does.

I was thinking the same thing. Us low VIN numbers don't seem to have a problem (if it ain't broke....). :roll:

Since it sounds like they are going to "fix" the 8000 they have produced, they must have had an inkling of this problem from the big release in Japan earlier this year, even before it showed up in the few hundred they released here.

Ready2plugin said:
I was thinking the same thing. Us low VIN numbers don't seem to have a problem (if it ain't broke....). :roll:
Maybe it is broke, but just not as readily? I doubt they would push out an update to all the cars if they didn't really need it.

GeekEV said:
Ready2plugin said:
Maybe it is broke, but just not as readily? I doubt they would push out an update to all the cars if they didn't really need it.

Unless there is no way to identify which cars have or will have the problem.

Ready2plugin said:
mwalsh said:

+1 I won't be getting the S/W update either. No one in the early VINs has seen the problem and I've not yet decided which Nissan dealership I'll be using for service at this point. Over the next several months we'll all learn which dealerships have skilled talent and which dealerships to avoid. I talked to one dealership, for example, whose LEAF tech has already left and hasn't yet been replaced.

Does the first one to report the version number(s) of the new firmware get a prize?

Please try and discover how the firmware update is done:
1. inserting an SD card behind the Nav screen
2. using the Magic Box (CAN buss) to connect to the LEAF (more likely)

I went to one dealer that could not get the LEAF Service bay's Magic Box to connect to the LEAF's CAN buss.

we are going to contact all the customers that we've sold Nissan Leaf to, or they can contact us, and we'll program into their diaries a convenient moment, and we'll reprogram their software.

This sounded almost like a possible remote software update (or a weird translation quirk)...but on viewing the video, the "diary" bit turns out to be a (Queen's) English colloquialism, not an awkward translation from Japanese, and more importantly the phrase "and they can come in (and we'll reprogram...)" was omitted from the transcript. Oh well.

test to see if your car has the problem, otherwise wait until they come out with the patch for the range estimator and do both of them at the same time.

Whats the procedure for getting the car started if the problem shows up?

My service manager says he should be able to tell me if my VIN is impacted - though it's not clear yet whether that means that a)all VINs are getting this and so all are impacted or b)he'll be able to state that yes, I could be subject to the problem.

Not sure I care either way at this point - and I applaud Nissan for finally telling us what they plan to do.

I'll be out of town for about three weeks so I'm going to wait for it all to die down and for more information to come out before I consider bringing mine in... I'd also love to know if they are going to take this opportunity to update more than just the VCM.

MaryC said:
Since it sounds like they are going to "fix" the 8000 they have produced, they must have had an inkling of this problem from the big release in Japan earlier this year, even before it showed up in the few hundred they released here.

There's a possibility that if they are really planning on all vehicles to recieve the new software (as the announcement states) it may contain enhancments in addition to fixing the "won't start" problem.

ENIAC said:
Ready2plugin said:
mwalsh said:

+1 I won't be getting the S/W update either.

Press release (or part of it from Nissan):
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/04/15/nissan-explains-leaf-start-up-problems-5300-evs-fixed/#continued

Interesting points:
- "Approximately 500 Nissan LEAF customer vehicles in the U.S. are affected by this campaign"
- "a message will be sent through the on-board telematics system early next week"
- "Nissan has decided to perform a service campaign on 5,300 Nissan LEAF"
- based on the 8,000 LEAFs production figure given in the video, this would imply that approx 2,700 LEAFs have not been delivered yet or have been fixed already and delivered

dpodoll said:
There's a possibility that if they are really planning on all vehicles to recieve the new software (as the announcement states) it may contain enhancments in addition to fixing the "won't start" problem.

I'll take my chances. Unless, of course, you guys who do get the update start mentioning all the fabulous new things your updated LEAFs will do (6.6kw charging, 200mph, flying, etc....) ;)

Back