Service Campaign Announced By Nissan for Restart Problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a call from my dealer (Fontana Nissan). He said that my car is due in a week or so, and that the cars were being held at the port to apply the software patch. He said that Nissan discovered that the value set for the restart inhibit for the A/C was "too sensitive" leading to the problem in some cases. I guess that means those of us who take delivery going forward will already have the "Service" applied. Great news!

mwalsh said:
I'll take my chances. Unless, of course, you guys who do get the update start mentioning all the fabulous new things your updated LEAFs will do (6.6kw charging, 200mph, flying, etc....) ;)
Sshhh! We weren't supposed to talk about that, yet!

dpodoll said:
There's a possibility that if they are really planning on all vehicles to recieve the new software (as the announcement states) it may contain enhancments in addition to fixing the "won't start" problem.

mwalsh said:
But one thing is certain from my own perspective....my car hasn't exhibited this problem and I won't be doing this software upgrade unless it does.

When I was gainfully employed and worked with software updates from major manufacturers, they didn't mix problem fixes that were important enough for immediate release with product enhancements. After the fixes weres out and running OK, then they would bundle previous fixes with product enhancements in a full rev release. Don't see any reason for Nissan to do this differently. You don't want to throw a bunch of new enhancement code in with the fix.

If the sensor threshold setting is wrong, it's most likely wrong in all the Leafs made so far. It's just the particular combination of circumstances that trigger it that's relatively rare (so far). If Nissan knew that it only affected certain VIN numbers, or certain software levels, then they would target just those Leafs. The fact that they are going to upgrade every car means to me that they can't reliably predict which cars will be affected.

Herm said:
Whats the procedure for getting the car started if the problem shows up?

I talked to one LEAF owner who just disconnected the negative 12v battery cable for a minute or two and he was able to restart his car.

mwalsh said:
Disconnect 12v battery for (up to) 10 minutes.
This is a really really bad idea. The likelihood is that the error is a false positive, in which case disconnecting the battery will work. But if it's not, and you're looking at a genuine fault, then you can end up fried. Prudence suggests that you not assume the error code is just a software error.

The reason the car won't start is that it assumes there is a potential for death or serious injury. Better safe than sorry. Just get it towed.

If it is not a false error, it will simply shut down again. No harm, no foul...

SanDust said:
mwalsh said:
Disconnect 12v battery for (up to) 10 minutes.
This is a really really bad idea. The likelihood is that the error is a false positive, in which case disconnecting the battery will work. But if it's not, and you're looking at a genuine fault, then you can end up fried. Prudence suggests that you not assume the error code is just a software error.

The reason the car won't start is that it assumes there is a potential for death or serious injury. Better safe than sorry. Just get it towed.

mogur said:
We don't know this. We only know that removing the 12 volt supply clears the disable start code.

jamesanne said:
mogur said:
We don't know this. We only know that removing the 12 volt supply clears the disable start code.

(Electric) Vehicles are designed with safety in mind (and with a lot of safety standards in mind too, e.g. ISO 6469/SAE 2929, which directly apply here). So if it is a real fault and you disconnect the battery (thus clearing the fault) the car will report the fault again.

The problem is that if it is a real fault, you might get injured before you restart the car or while you disconnect the 12V cable.

Having said that, if you have the classic symptoms of the AC problem, chances are that it is a false positive, but there is a very tiny chance that it's a real fault. Then it depends on the person's risk tolerance (I hear that driving is pretty dangerous too).

Could one of the moderators please set up a poll asking if version "A" software Leaf owners are planning to "fix" their car though nothing appears to be broken? I'd like to see what the majority says since I can't make up my mind.
Thanks,
Adrian

Confirmed that software update will be applied prior to new Leaf deliveries:

from the following thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2662&start=930

"SM Nissan had taken delivery of four Leafs yesterday... and received assurances from Nissan that the software upgrade mentioned in the new service bulletin had, indeed, been completed on the car prior to its release from the port."

I wonder if this is a true upgrade or just the Version C to Version B rollback that was reported earlier.
It would be nice if someone could check the Nav screen and report back.

Stoaty said:
Confirmed that software update will be applied prior to new Leaf deliveries:

"SM Nissan had taken delivery of four Leafs yesterday... and received assurances from Nissan that the software upgrade mentioned in the new service bulletin had, indeed, been completed on the car prior to its release from the port."

Has anyone actually received the update?

I just got off the phone with my dealer and they are claiming they will not have the update for two weeks.

NOGASEV is closed for the Easter Holiday so I don't have their story.

squirrelmeat said:
Has anyone actually received the update?

I just got off the phone with my dealer and they are claiming they will not have the update for two weeks.

NOGASEV is closed for the Easter Holiday so I don't have their story.

That's odd, because I went to my dealership today to get the update but the service manager told me that they have already reprogrammed my car on 4/1/2011 when I brought it in the second time it didn't start. I asked him : are you sure? because I got this e-mail from Nissan two days ago".He said:" yes".
Now I have version B, I have no problem restarting the car, but the weather is not hot yet.
I will call Nissan on Monday.

Back