SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nubo said:
I'd be interested in more details of the PGE discussion. Was there any discussion on why TOU adoption is so low? To me, the stick-to-carrot ratio is too high.

Also, was the issue of QC Demand-charges discussed? NO. There was no discussion as this was not on agenda. QC demand charges not likely to change for a few years.

Thanks,

I don't think TOU adoption is necessarily low amongst the EV owner population. By a show of hands, many LEAF owners were also solar customers.

It sounds like the new EV rates together with the elimination of E9 in two years is almost a done deal. PG&E's answer to simplifying rates for EV charging is to eliminate tiers and just use TOU pricing to encourage night time charging. For energy conservation, there are still tiered rates available as an option (E-1, E-6 & grandfathered E-7).

gascant said:
Minutes of the August SF BayLEAFs meeting, courtesy of (and thanks to) linkim:
... On a more sensitive topic, it appears that many LEAF owners have not received their federal tax credit. There is discussion underway with Nissan to determine what the issues are that are hampering the tax credits.

What are these LEAF owners saying? Did they file Form 8936 "Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit" with their 2011 U.S. Federal Tax return and the Federal Government rejected their claim? It's a "Tax Credit" not a rebate, so unless they overpaid their taxes, they would not receive a payment for the credit. And why would Nissan be involved in the discussion on a tax credit issued by the Federal Government. I filed form 8936 for a $7500 credit against my taxes. So far, the IRS hasn't complained to me about it. Who are the many LEAF owners and what news did they receive about the federal tax credit???

solarman said:
I filed form 8936 for a $7500 credit against my taxes. So far, the IRS hasn't complained to me about it. Who are the many LEAF owners and what news did they receive about the federal tax credit???
Search this board for 8936. Or, here, I'll do it for you: Electric drive vehicle credit 8936 decreased/rejected by IRS
And that's just one of half a dozen problem threads related to this credit.

solarman said:
And why would Nissan be involved in the discussion on a tax credit issued by the Federal Government.
Because Nissan made a big deal about the car being affordable because of the $7,500. True, there were footnotes in Nissan's literature saying "up to", but the 17 pages of the above thread are about people who were eligible for the whole amount.

Ray

TonyWilliams said:
TEG said:
gascant said:
...Gascant mentioned that the first Honda Fit EV was purchased by Keijidosha, who passed through the Bay Area as part of the team driving TonyWilliams’ LEAF on its return journey on the BC2BC trip...

Purchased or leased? I thought FitEV was lease only right now.

They are lease only. That way,mthey get them all back and crush them. No further liability, and no tens years of USA required parts and warranty service.

The misstatement that the Fit was "purchased" and not "leased" was my error and not gascant's. His slide stated the Fit was delivered to Keijidosha. So I deserve 15 lashes with a wet noodle.

linkim said:
The misstatement that the Fit was "purchased" and not "leased" was my error and not gascant's. His slide stated the Fit was delivered to Keijidosha. So I deserve 15 lashes with a wet noodle.

We'll be sure to flog you publicly at next month's meeting, where the Fit EV will be on display. :lol:

The September meeting will take place at Electronic Arts in Redwood City. Featured on the program will be Robert Langford, Honda’s Marketing Director for Alternative Fuel Vehicles. He will present the Honda Fit EV and will be accompanied by a demo car (test drive possibilities being explored). The remainder of the program is still taking shape, but promises to have something for everyone. Updates will follow as topics are confirmed. Electronic Arts has limited on-site charging (L2) and is located approximately 1 mile from the Belmont Quick Charger. Details as Follows:

Saturday, September 8th, 9:00 AM
Electronic Arts
207 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94065

Refreshments in the parking lot shortly after 8AM.

gasmiser1 said:
I might add: Green Drive Expo, in Richmond, CA on 9/15/12.
So, who here is going to be there?

If there isn't one already, I'm going to start a thread to try to get a roll call.

Oddly enough, despite a decent Priuschat turnout last year, nobody's responding to my thread there. :?

Don’t forget our regular monthly meeting this coming Saturday, September 8th. We’ll be at Electronic Arts in Redwood City. The address appears below. Congregating in the parking lot begins just after 8AM, with the meeting starting at 9. In addition to our usual announcements, features, and refreshments, we’ll have two additional highlights for the agenda:

The Car as Entertainment Platform: Richard Hilleman (VP, Chief Creative Director) and Scott Cronce (VP, Technology), both from Electronic Arts (some of you might have seen Scott at EVS26 in May)
The Honda Fit EV: Robert Langford, Manager, Electric Vehicle Sales&Marketing, American Honda, with a Fit EV on display in the parking lot.

We’ll also be providing further details on the upcoming LEAF Owners Celebration during National Plug In Day on September 23rd (shaping up to be a “can’t miss” event).

Hope to see everyone there!
Meeting Details:
Electronic Arts
207 Redwood Shores Parkway
Redwood City, CA, 94065
Google Maps Link http://goo.gl/maps/yFJws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Meeting Room
1st floor, 207 building
North & South Pole

Electronic Arts is located about 1 mile from the Blink DCQC in Belmont. Additionally, there are 6 L2 Charging stations in the parking lot (5 J1772, 1 Avcon). Perhaps we should put in a call to Blink to make sure the DCQC is working by Saturday?

I'll try to make it to this. I'm going to Nashville to help Nissan come up with a sales and marketing strategy for LEAF, and I'd love to pick your brains one last time before I go on the 10th.

BrendanDolan said:
I'll try to make it to this. I'm going to Nashville to help Nissan come up with a sales and marketing strategy for LEAF, and I'd love to pick your brains one last time before I go on the 10th.
Definitely, let's catch up on this topic. We've had some meetings as well with Nissan on the topic.

I'm in town from Madison, WI and looking forward to my second ever visit to the BayLEAFs meetings.

Since my last time here in town I got to actually see the first Nissan Leaf registered in Wisconsin roll off the delivery truck.
I'm going to report about your meeting to our local Leaf owners group.
We are all envious of the number of Leafs you guys have out here.

EVPowers said:
I'm in town from Madison, WI and looking forward to my second ever visit to the BayLEAFs meetings.

Since my last time here in town I got to actually see the first Nissan Leaf registered in Wisconsin roll off the delivery truck.
I'm going to report about your meeting to our local Leaf owners group.
We are all envious of the number of Leafs you guys have out here.

Very cool! See you there!

dscn0163leaffitcharging.jpg

LEAF charging at the Electronic Arts Studio in Redwood City, with a Honda Fit EV as a special guest (far right)

The Sept. 8, 2012 SF BayLEAFs meeting was held at Electronics Arts in Redwood City; thanks to Scott Cronce and Richard Hilleman for arranging the use of the facilities for us, and to linkim for his usual great job with minutes. There were 6 LEAFs and a Honda Fit EV charging in the parking lot during the meeting. In addition, there were about 41 in attendance, along with 16 LEAFs, an ActiveE, Rav4 EV, a VOLT and an iMEV parked in the lot, joined by a Plug In Prius. Once again, JeremyW made the trip in his LEAF from Folsom, with two quick charges (Vacaville and San Ramon) on the way. Linda came from Morrow Bay (>200 miles) and EVPowers from Madison, WI.

There is an active slate of meetings planned for EV enthusiasts in the next two months:

Green Car Expo, Sept. 15 (Richmond, http://www.greendriveexpo.com/bay-area-expo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
GGEVA meeting, Oct. 7 (Luscious Garage, SF)
SF BayLEAFs meeting, Oct. 13 (Union City, http://www.SFbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Redline Racing Kart, Oct. 14 (Sears Point)
EAASV meeting, Oct. 20 (Cupertino)

National Plug in Day, Sept. 23 will be a major event throughout the Bay Area. The main one specifically focused on the LEAF will be the LEAF Owners Celebration (with major support from Nissan) held at Crissy Field SF in the morning, in conjunction with the event in the afternoon hosted by Plug-in America, Sierra Club and Electric Auto Association. The activities at Crissy Field will take place from 10 AM to 4 PM. Nissan USA plans to have EVs available, as well portable QCs unit for use, the National Park Service has L2 and L1 at the site. Attendees will be provided with some gifts, surprises and swag. Other Sept. 23 activities for National Plug-in Day will be held in San Rafael, Cupertino, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, Sacramento and Alameda. Check http://pluginday.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for details.

The SF BayLEAFs is the largest LEAF group in the world and the Bay Area is the EV capital of the world. The BayLEAFs have incorporated as a not-for profit organization, which can accept tax-deductible donations. To cover expenses for insurance, equipment (audiovisual) and incidentals (website hosting), the all-volunteer organization is looking at ways to raise funds. OrientExpress proposed that the Do-it-Yourself (DIY) clinics that are held following the meetings be used to help raise funds, with a goal of raising $5000 by the end of the year. LEAF owners who are interested in having the cabin filter changed, horn upgraded and seat heaters installed, for example, could donate money to the BayLEAFs for the component and installation by an experienced LEAF owner. The BayLEAFs participated in a Michigan Scientific Corporation survey that raised about $600, and other such activities are being considered. The BAAQMD will be hosting a series of 6 meetings (Sept. 27 – Oct. 10) in the Bay Area to update their planning document. LEAF owners are encouraged to submit comments for the plan, but it is strongly suggested that all comments be submitted by the SF BayLEAFs as a single input. However, if there are comments that are not covered, then individuals should submit directly. Details are available at http://www.bayareapevready.org/participate/process/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Based on the input from the BayLEAFs at the Dec. 3, 2011 meeting at Google, Nissan is working to improve the prediction/estimate of the energy forecast. Gascant gave a short demonstration of the service that is currently available on Carwings, which Nissan is updating, and is expected to be available by the end of the year.

Richard Hilleman (VP, Chief Creative Director) and Scott Cronce (VP, Technology) of Electronics Arts (EA) made a presentation on “The Automobile as an Entertainment Platform.” The current estimate is that drivers spend an average of 2 hrs/day in their vehicles, and this provides an opportunity to improve their in-vehicle experience. Car manufacturers have identified “In-Vehicle Infortainment” (IVI) as a key component of future model offerings. Thus EA is involved with IVI activities such as competitions (e.g., growing the most trees while driving the LEAF, best hypermiling result) between drivers. Other opportunities include location updating with friends, Geotweeting (short verbal messages to friends), Eco-challenge for specific stretches of road and Energy efficiency competitions.

Robert Langford (Manager, Plug-in Electric Vehicles Sales and Marketing, American Honda Motor Co, Inc.) described the specifications and characteristics of the Honda Fit EV. The Fit EV is only available for lease ($389/mon), and only about 1100 (Model year 2013 and 2014) will be available in the US. The EV has a 20 kWh Li-ion battery pack (lithium titanate anode, which produces a lower cell voltage than that obtained with graphite), a 6.6 kW charger (no QC capability built-in), battery temperature management (forced air convection) and EPA range of 82 miles. After his presentation; Robert invited the audience to take test drives in their EV, which was accepted by many of the attendees.

The next SF BayLEAFs meeting will be held on October 13 at the Union City Library, with Kitty Adams of Adopt-a-Charger as a special guest .

gascant said:
There is an active slate of meetings planned for EV enthusiasts in the next two months:

Green Car Expo, Sept. 15 (Richmond, http://www.greendriveexpo.com/bay-area-expo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
GGEVA meeting, Oct. 7 (Luscious Garage, SF)
SF BayLEAFs meeting, Oct. 13 (Union City, http://www.SFbayleafs.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

<<snipped>>

Nissan USA plans to have EVs available, as well portable QCs unit for use, the National Park Service has L2 and L1 at the site. Attendees will be provided with some gifts, surprises and swag.
<<snipped>>
The next SF BayLEAFs meeting will be held on October 13 at the Union City Library, with Kitty Adams of Adopt-a-Charger as a special guest .

QCs plural? Will Nissan bring their $15k+ QC to demo? Or, will it be the old travelling Eaton? If not at Plug-In Day, how's about at the Oct. 13th meeting or any other gathering of LEAF drivers.

The October SF BayLEAFs meeting will be held on Saturday, the 13th, at The Union City Library (see below). While I haven't checked around locally, my expectation is that we will have the parking lot to ourselves in the early part of the morning (nobody graduates in October, do they?). Refreshments will arrive around 8AM, and we have the Community Room from 9-11 AM. WiFi is available on site.

Our agenda is somewhat open--our guest speaker has asked to reschedule due to some other opportunities/commitments coming to fruition at around the same time as our meeting (all good). So, please feel free to suggest topics and/or volunteer to present. We have the BAAQMD planning process to review, and it might be good if we could get one volunteer from each of the local National Plug In Day events to give a summary of that event (photos, videos welcomed). Please post or send your ideas for agenda items. Final agenda will appear a few days before the meeting.

Union City is centrally located for most members. While there is no charging on site, there are 10 L2 stations at Target just off Automall Parkway, and the W hotel in Fremont has one or two. Details:
Union City Library
34007 Alvarado-Niles Road
Union City, CA 94587
Refreshments: 8:00 AM (parking lot)
Meeting: 9:00 - 11:00 AM (Community Room, clean up around 10:50)

Update for Saturday's Meeting:
Union City is centrally located for most members. While there is no charging on site, there are 10 L2 stations at Target (ChargePoint) just off Automall Parkway, and the W hotel in Fremont has one or two (ChargePoint). Additionally, the new DC QC in Downtown Hayward (Blink) is up and running and is only 7.5 miles away. Don't let charging be a barrier to attending.

Details:
Union City Library
34007 Alvarado-Niles Road
Union City, CA 94587
Refreshments: 8:00 AM (parking lot)
Meeting: 9:00 - 11:00 AM (Community Room, clean up around 10:50)
NPID Roundup
Showing of "Future Century Zipangu" (filmed in part at our July meeting, featuring several SF BayLEAFs members)
Round Table Discussion on Battery Refresh Program
Parking Lot: 11:00 AM - ?

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Bummed that this ended up conflicting with my local meeting. Hopefully I can make the next one. I did quite a few trips to the bay area last month though, so I think I'll take rest until November. :)

JeremyW said:
Bummed that this ended up conflicting with my local meeting. Hopefully I can make the next one. I did quite a few trips to the bay area last month though, so I think I'll take rest until November. :)

Yeah, I saw that. I would have loved to get up there for the Sac/Folsom/NorCal group meeting. We'll figure it out going forward. Maybe next month you can give a presentation on "Secrets of Getting Back and Forth to Sacramento" ;)

screenshot20121013at600.png

The Oct. 13, 2012 SF BayLEAFs meeting was held at Union City Library in Union City. This was a relatively small meeting for us, with about 20 LEAFs and 38 members in attendance. Three new members were present – from Half Moon Bay (commuter to Palo Alto), Brentwood (commuter to Livermore) and San Francisco (involved with LEAF sharing). Many thanks to linkim for providing the attached minutes.

Meetings of interest for the SF BayLEAFers include:
EAASV meeting, Oct. 20 (Coda dealer, Santa Clara, Thorium Energy Alliance)
EBEAA meeting, Oct. 27 (Alameda, topic TBA)
GGEVA meeting, Nov. 4 (SF, topic TBA)
SF BayLEAFs meeting, Nov. 10 (South Bay, location TBD)

The EAA has 2 refurbished L2 chargers (Clipper Creek) for sale at approximately $250 each (depending on shipping). These units do not have the “smart” functions of the Blink, for example, but are great alternatives for drivers wanting a simple wall charging unit.

The cost of driving a LEAF is decreasing, with a lease of $139/month available from Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City. Other lease deals are also available, for example, $179/month.

The website for Driving Electric (http://www.drivingelectric.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which was launched on National Plug in Day (Sept. 23) is now fully functional. There are about 600 registrants in 40 states participating in the on-line community. Details are found on their website.

SF BayLEAFs are providing input to the BAAQMD Planning Document. The key topics for LEAF drivers are: Regional Infrastructure Siting Plan, Stakeholder Training and Customer Education. The deadline for responses is Oct. 22. Members can send their comments to [email protected] (SF BayLEAFs will compile the comments and send in one package) or directly to the BAAQMD (http://www.baaqmd.gov/EVReady" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

OrientExpress made a request for donations (tax deductible) to defray the expenses for the SF BayLEAFs events. For example, liability insurance is a major expense. Thanks to the efforts of our members, we received $480 for participating in the Michigan Scientific Center survey. A sponsors’ link is available for Leaf dealers, and other interested parties, to advertise on the SF BayLeAFs website.

ElectricVehicle presented an update on the charging infrastructure. Brendan Jones from Nissan North America mentioned (at LEAF celebration) that the will be 100 QCs installed in the Bay Area. The tentative hosts for the 100+ QCs are BAAQMD (41), retail installations (23), NRG settlement (53). Unfortunately, only 5-6 sites have been determined. Ecotality has plans for expanding their QC locations, which include Menlo Park, Hayward, Petaluma, Calistoga, Concord, South SF, Fremont, Newark and Santa Clara. Nissan has a QC unit that they will locate at a dealer in the Bay Area. They have asked for recommendations from the SF BayLEAFs for locating the QC. All suggestions must be submitted to [email protected] by Wednesday (Oct. 17).

ChargePoint 4.0 is now live and ready for EV owners to check out (http://www.chargepoint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The website has an enhanced user interface, with charging station owners able to directly communicate with EV drivers. Multi-deployment sites by corporations and pricing structure are improved.

Gascant provided an update on the NPID events in SF and the Bay Area on Sept. 23.
Besides the LEAF celebration at Crissy Field in SF, NPID was held at Cupertino, San Rafael, Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, Sacramento and Alameda. The LEAF celebration, which preceded the NPID event, attracted over 105 LEAFs, 300 owners and their families and about 200 other guests visiting Crissy Field. The Cupertino event had test drives of the RAV4 EV and rides in the Tesla Model S. Two Oregon LEAF owners made it to the Sacramento event, and two LEAFs were escorted from San Rafael to Crissy Field by our Nissan Japan hosts who were driving a local owner’s LEAF.

Last July, a crew from Tokyo TV visited the Bay Area and attended the SF BayLEAF meeting. Part of their video "Future Century Zipangu" (courtesy of Waidy and OrientExpress) on the EV activities in the Bay Area (and elsewhere) was presented at the meeting. Local members will recognize some of the “actors” and locations in the video. The audio in the video was in Japanese, but an English version is expected for viewing in the future.

The next SF BayLEAFs meeting will be held on November 10 in the South Bay at a location to be determined.

Slides from the meeting can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?24d06ebe3spu78y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back