Siemens VersiCharge - Costco Members - pay $360 while supplies last

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the generic from CCreek:

AmazingE-Portable-Electric-Equipment-Connector. $250 on Amazon
Nice price; trade-off is charging speed limited to 16 Amps (3.8 kW.)
Nice touch to outfit it with a 14-30 plug.

First I moded the Panasonic granny charger for 240v, that gave me 2.9kw charging. I wanted more so I got the duosida 3.8kw. I think that's plenty for most people.

I use nema 6-15 and 6-20 plugs on my evse units.

But I became power hungry then I bought a used 10kw setec portable chademo.
It charges the leaf at about 8kw.
There are bigger home chademo units out there, up to 25kw and I wants one.

Oilpan4 said:
There are bigger home chademo units out there, up to 25kw and I wants one.
For home ? How large a dedicated circuit do you have available to hook up to it ? It sounds like your current CHAdeMO can take 40 Amps but is already limited by being on a 32 Amp circuit

My Tesla Model 3 LR has a 48 Amp OBC but I have yet to charge at over 32 Amps at any AC outlet.

My little miller model 250 is in the garage and has a dedicated 125 amp single phase circuit on 4 gauge lines going to it.
My little amateur welding circuit should easily handle about 21.6kw continuously.
My little welder runs at about 26kva, but does so intermittently.
They rate the 25kw chademo for if it were running 500v at 50 amps.
The leaf battery has a max charging voltage of around 400v. With a glass ceiling of 400v and the machines max current output limited to 50 amps, that gets me 20kw.

Right now I plug the toy chademo into my plasma cutters deticated circuit, which used to be my welder circuit, it's just 6 gauge lines on a 60 amp breaker.

To be fully up to code for a 25kw name plate charger you would really need to run at least 3 gauge 90C rated wire.

Oilpan4 said:
My little miller model 250 is in the garage and has a dedicated 125 amp single phase circuit on 4 gauge lines going to it.
My little amateur welding circuit should easily handle about 21.6kw continuously.
The leaf battery has a max charging voltage of around 400v. With a glass ceiling of 400v and the machines max current output limited to 50 amps, that gets me 20kw.
Yes, that pencils out on paper but not in practice. By the time the battery is at 400 volts the current is way down. Max current is at ~ 350 volts. So the '25 kW CHAdeMO' will peak at about 0.35*50 = 17.5 kW. I'll guess that you could manage a 15 kW average charge going from 20 - 80% SoC.

Still pretty sweet, so long as you do not mind the cost, bulk and hassle. I'm learning to appreciate (at least theoretically) the 11 kW OBC in my Model 3. Perhaps I should have bought a 50 or 60 or 80 Amp EVSE instead of the 40 Amp I have just for bragging rights. My 6 gauge cable and 8 foot run is enough for 50 Amps and depending on the rating it might support up to 75 Amps, good for a '80 Amp EVSE' that derates to a maximum 64 Amp pull.

Addendum:
You have caused me to regret not spending less than $100 more for the 9.6 kW EVSE instead of the lowly 7.8 kW I have. I blame my wife for peering over my shoulder at the EV cost spreadsheet although the truth is that at the time I did not realize that the Clipper Creek HCS40 I bought was labeled to match the breaker.

NEC always has you go with worse case scenario. I should be running something that has a 25kw name plate that runs continous on at least 90C rated 3 gauge.

I think by the time I'm hitting 390 volts my little 10kw toy chademo is already tapering from its 20 amp limit.

Let me know what kind of wire you are using.
Chances are it's 60C rated NM-B wire and all you're supposed to put on it for a continuous load is a 50 amp breaker.
If you had 90C THHN2 wire then a 70 amp breaker would be fine. But TH wire has to be ran in conduit.

Back