So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Elroy; at 83 miles you still have access to full power by your pix or has this changed?

your power meter has double circles which means this power level is available either as regen or power to the motor. in my one foray to Turtle, I went down to 5 power circles remaining (the circles go to single wall lines) and was still able to drive at "street speeds" or 25-35 mph without any discernible slow down.

**edit** not really a range test, but the other day we were having a "Norwester" and I had to detour from home to Tumwater DCFC because after 63 miles, I was out of range.

the plan was get off work, go home plug in for about 90 mins and relax a bit before taking my Son to his appointment which requires about 20 miles. I realized that I would be so low that I could not charge up enough, so with 63.2 miles on the trip meter, I pulled into the Tumwater station at 8 GID (lowest I have been ever with the exception of my 100 + mile range test nearly two Summers ago...)

weather conditions; heavy rain, temps warm in the 50's (more monsoon than anything.) and winds from 15-35 mph.

I know this will hurt but FYI; we have lost our chance of having snow this Winter but Spring snow is pretty common around here so not holding my breath

Either way; 2 days later; same route, going home instead. temps in morning 30º, afternoon, 41. clear, dry. got home at 64.5 miles with 42 GID.

I'm almost positive it had regen even at turtle, as I remember watching the bubbles. Turtle speed was probably 25-30mph range. Didn't try to go any faster. Did floor it briefly, with no effect on acceleration. Have never seen my power circles drop. Are they supposed to drop under cold conditions? Or perhaps when the battery gets too hot/cold?

Definitely no audio warning when it reaches turtle mode. You would think they would give you major flashing dash warning or something!

Still want to hear what others are getting time wise for a 100% L2 charge from a LEAF fully run through turtle. Or for that matter, is anyone getting longer than 6.55hrs L2 charge times from even less than empty batteries?

Also, drove about 29.4 miles this morning, 4.3 mi/kWh efficiency. Already dropped 6 charge bars. It seems hard enough to get 5 miles per bar, at least in the upper bars.

do you lose range over time even if you dont lose a bar?
or must you show a bar down to be losing range?

i still get full 12 bars, but it seems that -- i get fewer miles per bar so it is taking more bars to go to and from work -- even excluding the immediate loss last fall when i upgraded the tires.

when your battery ages do you GET FEWER MILES PER BAR? with the same driving style and route?

ELROY said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Elroy; at 83 miles you still have access to full power by your pix or has this changed?

your power meter has double circles which means this power level is available either as regen or power to the motor. in my one foray to Turtle, I went down to 5 power circles remaining (the circles go to single wall lines) and was still able to drive at "street speeds" or 25-35 mph without any discernible slow down.

**edit** not really a range test, but the other day we were having a "Norwester" and I had to detour from home to Tumwater DCFC because after 63 miles, I was out of range.

the plan was get off work, go home plug in for about 90 mins and relax a bit before taking my Son to his appointment which requires about 20 miles. I realized that I would be so low that I could not charge up enough, so with 63.2 miles on the trip meter, I pulled into the Tumwater station at 8 GID (lowest I have been ever with the exception of my 100 + mile range test nearly two Summers ago...)

weather conditions; heavy rain, temps warm in the 50's (more monsoon than anything.) and winds from 15-35 mph.

I know this will hurt but FYI; we have lost our chance of having snow this Winter but Spring snow is pretty common around here so not holding my breath

Either way; 2 days later; same route, going home instead. temps in morning 30º, afternoon, 41. clear, dry. got home at 64.5 miles with 42 GID.

I'm almost positive it had regen even at turtle, as I remember watching the bubbles.

have to have "regen" at turtle otherwise you could not recharge. it the circles to the right that designate how much power you have and as soon as you hit turtle, you should start losing them. now mind you, they dont disappear, they just go from double circles to single circles and when it happened to me, it was VERY noticeable.

Have never seen my power circles drop. Are they supposed to drop under cold conditions? Or perhaps when the battery gets too hot/cold?

you will see the single circles after a full charge on the regen side (left of center) and they will double up as you dissipate some charge

Also, drove about 29.4 miles this morning, 4.3 mi/kWh efficiency. Already dropped 6 charge bars. It seems hard enough to get 5 miles per bar, at least in the upper bars.

well, you wont but not to worry. you have read about "hidden bars?" well they essentially changed the 12 visible bars to 12 visible, 2 invisible. even at 5 miles per bar, you will still get around 70 miles. which makes the SOC meter all that much more valuable. it really goes a long way towards understanding how far your LEAF can really go.

thankyouOB said:
when your battery ages do you GET FEWER MILES PER BAR? with the same driving style and route?

well, dont know for sure but thinking it should. 12 bars that cover 21 Kwh or 12 bars that cover 18 kwh means that the less power represented, the faster the bars go assuming everything else is equal.

another reason why the SOC meter is so valuable. forget the bars, forget the GOM...

Last week I drove 80.6 miles per day on one charge. No heat, no AC, driving approximately 60-65mph on freeway, and posted speed limits on surface streets (35-50mph). Driving up steep grades like Sunol and 84 my speed drops to 45mph (hang out in the slow lane). San Jose to Livermore (40.3 miles). No longer able to trickle charge at work.

I arrived home with the following SOC percentages:
Monday - Start 100%, Work 52%, Home 11% (no Radio)
Tuesday - Start 100%, Work 50%, Home 9%
Wednesday - Start 100%, Work 48%, Home 6%
Thursday - Start 100%, Work 50%, Home 14% (no Radio)
Friday - Day Off

Time to charge each evening is reliably 4.5hrs on an L2 240v 30A GE Wattstation.

RCEV13 said:
Last week I drove 80.6 miles per day on one charge. No heat, no AC, driving approximately 60-65mph on freeway, and posted speed limits on surface streets (35-50mph). Driving up steep grades like Sunol and 84 my speed drops to 45mph (hang out in the slow lane). San Jose to Livermore (40.3 miles). No longer able to trickle charge at work.

Friday - Day Off

Time to charge each evening is reliably 4.5hrs on an L2 240v 30A GE Wattstation.

Do you mean to say you are driving 80 miles round trip with 9-14% still remaining? And it only take you 4.5hrs to charge? Wow, I think something is wrong with my LEAF! LOL.
What was your efficiency mi/kWh on the dash? This morning even with the cruise on at 50mph exactly, I can barely maintain 4.0 mi/kWh. I wonder if perhaps my motor or something is not working to specs.

That's right. Round Trip. Best case 14% remaining, worst case 6% remaining (so far).

I feel like I can drive more efficiently with manual pedal control. Cruise control is fine for flat roads, but it's not that great for climbing hills or coasting down them to maximize regeneration. Keeping the radio off also helps a lot.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Look a his 82.4 mile picture, Dave. Only one acceleration circle. I assume the circle-drawing algorithm reset when the car effectively switched to "On" rather than "Ready" state. (Note that there is no green car with arrows in the last picture.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Look a his 82.4 mile picture, Dave. Only one acceleration circle. I assume the circle-drawing algorithm reset when the car effectively switched to "On" rather than "Ready" state. (Note that there is no green car with arrows in the last picture.)

Ray

Yes...the last picture was when I was hopelessly trying to get it into "D" to no avail. Only park and neutral are attainable in this state of charge.

planet4ever said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Ray

oh ya! i see that. wow, .6 miles on one power circle?? now THAT is amazing.

when I hit turtle, i was losing a power circle every .1-.2 miles! they really go fast!

ELROY said:
My 82.4 miles till turtle (at 4.3 mi/kWh) seems to match his 93% battery capacity chart. So for a 5 month old LEAF with 3924 miles, do I have a legitimate basis to complain to Nissan? I mean, its almost as if I am missing 1 bar of charge capacity.
Secondly, if your battery capacity goes down to 93%, do you just lose that 7% off the top? Or do you lose 7% of range even when charging up to 80% capacity?

Anyone have a GID meter close to me in Ventura County?

Morning after this test:
6.55hr (6hr 33minutes): Time to charge the car to 100% again from dead, beyond turtle.
Shouldn't it take longer than this? Isn't there a way to extrapolate battery capacity by charge time?
6.55hr x 3.3kw=21.61kWh at the most...assuming constant full charge rate. What are others getting for full L2 charging from empty to 100%?

Looks like you're doing OK.

82.4 / 4.3 = 19.16kWh (91.2%)

You said the data matched the 93% chart, and that seems about right.

19.16 / 21.61kWh = 88.7%, but you do understand that the actual charge about may be slightly less

So, I'd comfortably say (without the aid of a Gidmeter) that you have about 89% - 91% capacity in the battery.

Yes, that's about what my 2012 LEAF had in 5 months and less than 10,000 miles.

Nissan-Normal(TM)

RCEV13 said:
Last week I drove 80.6 miles per day on one charge. No heat, no AC, driving approximately 60-65mph on freeway, and posted speed limits on surface streets (35-50mph)...

I sure hope you get this resolved, because you won't likely be able to do this in the cold and within the next 6 to 18 months, it's likely that you'll lose about 10% capacity from degradation on top of the cold effects on the battery.

Could you somehow pay your employer for some 120v juice?

TonyWilliams said:
RCEV13 said:
Last week I drove 80.6 miles per day on one charge. No heat, no AC, driving approximately 60-65mph on freeway, and posted speed limits on surface streets (35-50mph)...

I sure hope you get this resolved, because you won't likely be able to do this in the cold and within the next 6 to 18 months, it's likely that you'll lose about 10% capacity from degradation on top of the cold effects on the battery.

Could you somehow pay your employer for some 120v juice?

I still find it amazaing he can drive those miles without range to spare.
I guess it also depends on his efficiency which I don't think he posted the number.
But with all his freeway driving, and the fact that I was only getting 4.0 mi/kWh at 50mph yesterday, it makes his range even that much better!
I really feel like my car has been a little short on range from the beginning.
Also, is his a 2013 by chance?

If he is getting 80 miles doing 60-65, he is doing much better than I am. If I do those speeds, about all I can get is about 50 miles. If I drop down to about 40-55, I can extend that quite a bit, although I haven't measured it exactly.

DaveCox said:
If he is getting 80 miles doing 60-65, he is doing much better than I am. If I do those speeds, about all I can get is about 50 miles. If I drop down to about 40-55, I can extend that quite a bit, although I haven't measured it exactly.

any breakdown of street/freeway ratio? i did not see that but

that is amazing for a car that has no more range than yours...

DaveinOlyWA said:
thankyouOB said:

well, dont know for sure but thinking it should. 12 bars that cover 21 Kwh or 12 bars that cover 18 kwh means that the less power represented, the faster the bars go assuming everything else is equal.

another reason why the SOC meter is so valuable. forget the bars, forget the GOM...

so, as the miles per bar drops, at what point does the gizmo decide to eliminate a bar?
loss of 15%?

ELROY said:
I still find it amazaing he can drive those miles without range to spare.
I guess it also depends on his efficiency which I don't think he posted the number.
But with all his freeway driving, and the fact that I was only getting 4.0 mi/kWh at 50mph yesterday, it makes his range even that much better!
I really feel like my car has been a little short on range from the beginning.
Also, is his a 2013 by chance?

Just to be clear, on level, dry highway with no significant wind AND THE HEATER TURNED OFF, you got 4 miles/kWh at 50mph steady speed AFTER resetting the dash economy meter once at 50mph? How many miles continuously did you drive to derive this value?

DaveCox said:

Any new LEAF, 2011-2013, can do 80+ miles at 60-65mph on dry, level, no wind roadways with THE HEATER TURNED OFF.

I suspect the latter is your problem, or you car has some SERIOUS degradation, or you're trying to derive range date from the GOM. Are you in Phoenix or other really hot area?

Check out these 65mph drives:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=273048#p273048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thankyouOB said:
so, as the miles per bar drops, at what point does the gizmo decide to eliminate a bar? loss of 15%?

The tiny capacity segments to the right of the fuel bars drop at 15% capacity loss for the first one, and then 6.25% for each subsequent one.

The fuel bars show all 12 every time it's charged to 100%, regardless of capacity. Because the low battery warning are indexed to a fixed capacity, those warnings come on with one or more fuel bars showing as the battery capacity capability falls.

Back