So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my worst range ever yesterday, 40.2 miles from 213 GIDs to 51 GIDs at 3.5 mi/kWh.

100% charge, but did preheat a bit in the morning for 10 min while plugged in. Garage in the upper 50F range. Drove my usual commute of 30 miles without heat except for a bit of defrost to keep the winshield clear and and got home at 4.1 mi/kWh and low 50% SOC. Then drove another 10 miles to a NYE party and back with the heat blasting which really sucked down the electrons getting home with 51 GIDs and 26.8% SOC.

Good thing I charged to 100%, otherwise would have cut it really close! Can't imagine what real cold would do to your range...

drees said:
Had my worst range ever yesterday, 40.2 miles from 213 GIDs to 51 GIDs at 3.5 mi/kWh.
100% charge, but did preheat a bit in the morning for 10 min while plugged in. Garage in the upper 50F range. Drove my usual commute of 30 miles without heat except for a bit of defrost to keep the winshield clear and and got home at 4.1 mi/kWh and low 50% SOC. Then drove another 10 miles to a NYE party and back with the heat blasting which really sucked down the electrons getting home with 51 GIDs and 26.8% SOC.
Good thing I charged to 100%, otherwise would have cut it really close! Can't imagine what real cold would do to your range...
When the outside air temp is single digits like it has been this week, range is horrible. The pack is down 18% according to the GID meter and the snow tires I have on now reduce the range another 10% easy. With the kind of snow and ice we have around here the summer tires just are not safe at any speed. The cold temps just make everything less efficient.

This may be the last winter I drive this LEAF to work. Time to think about what the replacement will be and I really doubt it will be another Nissan.

drees said:

How many total miles were on the car/battery when this happened?

THANKS, by the way, for sharing all this data.

MartinChico said:
How many total miles were on the car/battery when this happened?
35k miles, car was about 3.5 years old.

MartinChico said:
THANKS, by the way, for sharing all this data.
Glad you found it useful.

40 miles from 100% to LBW seems very low even for a 2-bar loser at 3.5 mi/kWh, that's only 11.5 kWh used. I should have about 5 kWh left or about another 17 miles left (for 55+ mi to turtle), but typically only about 3 kWh or 10-11 miles at 3.5 mi/kWh is available. I have to wonder if the LBC is hiding extra capacity under LBW on my car, which is not unheard of.

A few days ago I drove it down to 31 GIDs (getting close to VLBW, GOM actually went to --- after a restart which is unusual) and went 56.2 mi @ 4.2 mi/kWh for 13.4 kWh used - still not far down enough to see if there's more capacity hidden. SOC was 15.9%. I probably had another 6 miles or so left at least at 4.2 mi/kWh according to the gauge or about 62 miles to turtle, but if I assume the capacity meter is telling the truth and I have about 78% capacity, I should be able to go 68 miles at 4.2 mi/kWh until turtle.

I'll have to test the low end again one day to see what happens.

My winter range in Chicagoland is also terrible. I need to trickle charge it 8 hours at night and 8 hours while I am at work to be able to make the 23 mile commute each way to work. Granted I start with a full estimated 76 miles and usually arrive at home/work with around 30 miles left. But that is without using the heat and staying under 60mph. I can't wait for a tesla to be in the 40k range new or used.

Was 40-ish (F) this morning. Not too cold. Didn't preheat, but the car was in the garage which was 50ish (F).
Took it from a mostly full charge (SOC - 94.2%) 56 miles (without the heater) and didn't get the LBW (that I noticed).
GOM said I had 11 miles I could go (SOC - 28.2%).
So the 56 miles took 66%.

Only had my Leaf a few weeks...

desiv

drees said:
Had my worst range ever yesterday, 40.2 miles from 213 GIDs to 51 GIDs at 3.5 mi/kWh...

You are lucky to still see 213 GIDs, I'm at 38,200 miles at 208 GIDs tops but my range is further. Eco mode only 40 mile round trip commute to work & back and I'm still at around 68 to 90 GIDs left when I return, so maybe 55 miles total. When I leave work I'm at 128 - 138 GIDs and I keep it at 70 MPH at the 20 mile stretch, only obsticle is a long steep hill on the I-15 south from the I-8 and I'm pushing all power circles at that time at 80 MPH.

I just checked 210 GIDs
38,495 miles
S 95.37
C 49.23
H 54.90

Fred

I dropped someone off at Logan Airport yesterday, 59 mile ride from home, 55 of that on the MA Pike doing 65-70, clear weather, about 30 degrees outside, total elevation drop about 800 feet, and from 100%, ended up with this at the nearby QC:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 36
2014 S with the heater running @ 74° and outside temps in the lower 40's, longest range without recharging was 65 miles at mixed 45-65mph with GOM remaining capacity displaying 9 miles. For comparison, 2011 Leaf struggling to go 50 miles.

Delivery date: 2.1.2014 Current Miles: 19535 / 177 L3 QCs, 322 L2s
AHr 62.20 / SOH 95% / Hx 95.78% / SOC 97.2% / Temp 55 degrees

Well well. I finally found an OBDII device that works. I now have some information from my Leaf.

36,375 miles

87.5% SOC
199 GID's (70.8%)
15.4kWh
43.93Ah
51.0 F
3.8 miles per kWh
54.3 Miles to reserve

Driving at 55 mph at 51F nets me about 48 true miles.

The above information is after a full charge on a level 2 charge station at home.

Whats my Leaf Health? No friggin clue but with the information above maybe someone can tell me.

Pete :)

electricvw said:
Well well. I finally found an OBDII device that works. I now have some information from my Leaf.

[edited]

Whats my Leaf Health? No friggin clue but with the information above maybe someone can tell me.

Leaf's "Health" = SOH % (State of Health %)

I did not see an SOH reading anywhere. Only SOC. A friend said Im down 24%. I need to be at 33% to be in the running for an new pack. Time to drive the **** out of the car. He said I should be down two bars and by 27% should loose another. We shall see. Im going to take the Beast to work tomorrow and see how well I do then do a check with the Leaf Spy with a low pack. Then we will go from there. I still like my Leaf. No doubt about that but because Im still paying on the car I did and do expect better. The damn things too damn expensive to be of no use to me. Going to try to get the wife to use it more.

Going to do some on the road logging. I hate to drive in hyper mile mode. I just want to drive like I always drive and thats not too aggressive.

199 Gids at 100% charge suggests that you may have actually lost 3 bars. You don't need anyone else to tell you how many bars you have lost, just look at the small bars on the dash and count them. Or post a picture of your dash here.

I live in Cleveland Ohio and I leased a 2015 S in November of 2014. Have had mostly cold to really cold weather ever since. Driving between 60 - 65 mph on 45 mile roundtrip commute I typically use 80-85% of the battery with temperatures around 10 - 25 degrees. I use the heat very sparingly on the outbound trip, and indulge a little more on the return trip if enough charge is left. The irony being that the colder it is outside, the less I get to use the heater.

I usually drive 20-35 miles a day with a mix of city and highway, but Mondays and Fridays I have to drive to the office, all highway 22.5 miles one way. The weather has been consistently colder on those days, so I drive bundled up and thankful for seat and steering wheel heaters!

Summary: Typical experience has been 45 miles with about 18% battery remaining in cold weather with very sparing use of heater. So if 45 miles consumes 82% of the battery, that translates to about 55 miles max highway range in single digits temps with no heater for a 2015. Warm weather? I'll get back to you after things thaw out here......

12 Leaf SL, 21k miles, new 9/29/2012, car is garage kept in the Pittsburgh PA area, with an 18-mile round trip commute daily.

My car still shows 12 bars if filled 100%, 10 bars if filled 80%.

However, the gas gauge is never right, and at this point I'm able to simply divide the displayed range by TWO to properly figure my actual range. So, if filled to 80%, it says 60 miles range, it will only go 30. With the car now in its 3rd winter, I can barely make it to work in the next community, plus a side errand, without getting low battery warning lights. So this winter I am getting about 3.0 miles/bar, but last winter I was getting about 3.8 miles/bar. This seems like a huge drop.

It's very annoying to read the usual "84 miles range" for a Nissan Leaf in write-ups about the newer Leafs, and wonder if anyone else is seeing an actual 30-36 miles range instead.

As a design engineer, part of my job includes design and testing of lithium ion batteries for our products that are used in cold temperatures. The degradation of my Leaf's battery seems extreme, but I'm not sure if it's common or not. My understanding is that Teslas do not suffer as much degradation, but maybe someone here can confirm that.

I have an appointment tomorrow with Nissan to have it checked out. The battery has passed two annual checkups in supposedly good condition, but I don't know if this means anything.

I have given up on driving in Eco mode, since that soaks the fun out of driving the car, and I've decided I'm tired of freezing in the winter just to stretch the battery.

If Nissan tells me this is acceptable battery behavior, my next car after this lease is up in September will not be a Leaf.

Update 28 Jan 2015: The dealer said the battery is in excellent condition. With the climate control OFF in 15 degree weather, they drove it 9 miles round trip and saw 9 miles come off the range meter. They can't explain my real-world claims. So... 8 months to go, and this car is history. Roadside assistance is always available, so maybe I'll start to make use of it on a regular basis.

I have 11 small bars when fully charged. Photo is too large to post at this time. Ive been one bar down for some time now. Almost 1 year.

Yes, I think the range issue is going to be a killer for the Leaf if they don't address it and fix it. My first dive into electric cars was many years ago when I converted a 64 VW Ghia to all electric. I had read up on hundreds of other builds and read that you could go 60 miles or more per charge. This was of course the days of lead acid. I said holy sh.t, I can do that and have an electric car I can drive to work. My very first lesson in believing what others have written on this subject were soon dashed as the absolute very best I could get on a full charge was like 25 miles driving at 55 mph. So I finally figured out that those 60 mile ranges were guys going golf cart speeds with no stops. That was how you attained those miles. I did not buy a car to drive like a golf cart. I did not buy a car to be driven in eco mode nor do I drive like a nanny or hyper mile.

It has been said that lithium batteries have made electric cars viable but if the pack is not large enough its still not practical. It is not practical to only get 3 to 4 years out of a vehicle before you can't go the distances you expected to go. First off the Nissan is NOT a 100 mile range car. NOT at all. No way in hell can you claim that unless you might be going 25 mph in a 30 zone with no stops and in eco mode. Actually Eco mode is totally worthless on the Highway.

A car needs to be planned on the absolute worst case. In the winter with the heater on and driving USA style at 65 mph minimum. If you can get a full 150 miles in that case and have that battery pack last at minimum 10 years with only a loss of 30% then you have a decent case for a decent vehicle.

We don't drive like you are in Japan. We drive like we are in America. The Leaf is a great car but that capacity life of the cells just plain sucks. Not a whole lot better than a good set of quality of lead acid for battery life. Lithium modules are far better, yes but if the life is in the realm of lead acid then they are not ready for prime time.

Rant Rant Rant but I must speak out.

My CALB LiFePO4 cells are good. Better life capacity than the Leaf Modules.

ClevelandDiver said:
I live in Cleveland Ohio and I leased a 2015 S in November of 2014. Have had mostly cold to really cold weather ever since. Driving between 60 - 65 mph on 45 mile roundtrip commute I typically use 80-85% of the battery with temperatures around 10 - 25 degrees. I use the heat very sparingly on the outbound trip, and indulge a little more on the return trip if enough charge is left. The irony being that the colder it is outside, the less I get to use the heater.

I usually drive 20-35 miles a day with a mix of city and highway, but Mondays and Fridays I have to drive to the office, all highway 22.5 miles one way. The weather has been consistently colder on those days, so I drive bundled up and thankful for seat and steering wheel heaters!

Summary: Typical experience has been 45 miles with about 18% battery remaining in cold weather with very sparing use of heater. So if 45 miles consumes 82% of the battery, that translates to about 55 miles max highway range in single digits temps with no heater for a 2015. Warm weather? I'll get back to you after things thaw out here......

Sounds normal. 55 highway miles in this weather is pretty good with the S heater, used sparingly. I assume you're not driving more than 60-65? Have you found places to charge on http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Back