SoCal Branch LEAF Gathering - Our First Year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPVLeaf said:
tbleakne said:
2. SoCal AQMD office off Grand at I-60/I-57 intersection. They have about a dozen old charging stations, some paddles, some 120V/240V outlets. I used a 240V outlet with the first test of my portable EVSE with Rev2 upgrade and my wired yellow RV-50 adaptor It seemed to work fine. Gary, I promise to re-wire the adaptor per your recommendations before I use it again.

This office is planning some J1772 upgrades, but they have just put their requirements out for bid, so they have no estimate of when this might become real.
Also, on the J1772's, I've heard they will be available anywhere from by end-of-Summer, to by the end of the year. I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it were actually the former, but will expect that it'd be more like the latter.
This is OT to this thread, but just wanted to post an update on the J1772's at the AQMD as they have been discussed here before. I'll post the same in a separate thread.

I'm happy to share that three bollard-type ChargePoint EVSE's were installed in the charging area near the front of the building this afternoon. They were properly christened by one black Leaf owner. :cool: Each bollard has both L1 receptacle and L2 J1772 connector. They are available for public use at no charge, for the forseeable future, and can be activated with a ChargePoint ChargePass card, or RFID-type credit card.

http://tinyurl.com/68llblh

In addition, several changes will be taking place in stages. First, additional EVSE units, including Blink and Clipper Creek units, will be installed near the front charging area over the next 6 months. These will replace all but a few of the 'legacy' chargers currently in place. Second, many/most charging spots under the carport/solar panels, and elsewhere on site, will then be retrofitted with J1772 connectors.

Lastly, medium-term planning will include a much coveted unit ... to be shared later. Lisa M. may cover additional details when she speaks at the EVAoSC meeting Saturday (7/16/11).

JPVLeaf said:
tbleakne said:
I am going to attend the EV group that meets monthly at SoCal AQMD in Diamond Bar, this Sat at 10 AM. I confirmed last month that they have 240V charging receptacles that work with your upgraded EVSE. Anyone else want to join me?

http://evaosc.org/
Thanks for the heads up, Tom. I'm going to try to attend the mtg on Saturday.
I attended a meeting last year, but this will be the first since getting my LEAF.
I'm looking forward to learning from what Lisa M. has to share with the group.

I may join you guys. Interested in finding more about the EV group and learning more about JPV's news about charging at AQMD.

But, I think that I know what it could be ... oh boy, Oh boy, Oh Boy:

A chocolate-chunk all-you-can-est ice-cream vending machine!!! :D

I'm right again, ... right?

Boy, and you thought that I was not keeping touch with "reality"! :lol:

And, I seem to be doing well, with my THANKS to all, and especially Boomer. :) :)

Boomer23 said:
I may join you guys. Interested in finding more about the EV group and learning more about JPV's news about charging at AQMD.
Super. FWIW, my info today did not come directly from Lisa M., and I don't know specifics of what Lisa M. will present tomorrow. However, if she doesn't cover a specific topic, questions can be asked. Inquiring minds .... ;)

Sorry, no beans to spill here. The immediate plans for new and upgraded EVSEs at the AQMD involve L1 and L2s with J1772 connectors. Any previous references to a 'coveted unit' were speculative. And while possible for the future, there are no firm near-term plans. :|

Next Gathering on July 30th at Hometown Buffet on 17th in Santa Ana.

Then, in August, our 12th month of meetings:
How about the 13th of Aug for Cerritos and the 27th for Santa Ana?

Or, anything special you might want for August?

vote soon, vote often! :lol:

garygid said:

How about August 6th ?, I am out of town July 30th and August 13th.

garygid said:

Good for both dates...believe it or not! :D

One for 6 Aug instead of 13 Aug.
One for 13 Aug OK

More preferences?

To me, 6 Aug seemed to be too soon after 30 July.

I have not yet gotten an "available" from Cerritos.

I have about 30 "adapter" cords.

I'm open for all of the dates.

At this point, I'm planning to have the direct antithesis of a LEAF, the GT-R, on the 30th, and will bring it to Santa Ana for show and tell (but NOT for raffle, sorry :lol: ). So sorry that Mitch won't be here, though. :cry: Stay tuned for further updates as I make a final decision on timing.

I was really hoping to check out your ride Phil, but unfortunately I'm taking a quick jaunt to SF next weekend. Any way I can convince you to wait until the next meetup? :D

z0ner said:
I was really hoping to check out your ride Phil, but unfortunately I'm taking a quick jaunt to SF next weekend. Any way I can convince you to wait until the next meetup? :D

I feel, you, z0ner. I'd also like to wait because I have a friend that I'd like to share this experience with, and he's home with his wife while she recovers from surgery. A date a couple weeks in advance would be better for him, too. The problem is that the dealer only has two pre-owned GT-Rs, both of which are in gorgeous shape. If they sell, I'm going to have to wait for quite a while. So the dealer is recommending that I go ahead and pick a date when I'm sure they'll have a car to lend me.

To our Cluster, friends, and others:
(I forgot the name of "our" couple waiting for an August delivery.)

NOTE: A Blue SL+QC orphan $500 under MSRP reported at Temecula Nissan earlier today.

Might just be a come-on, but they called a friend who had been looking for an orphan (but found one for MSRP 2 months ago).

Boomer23 said:
z0ner said:

I feel, you, z0ner. I'd also like to wait because I have a friend that I'd like to share this experience with, and he's home with his wife while she recovers from surgery. A date a couple weeks in advance would be better for him, too. The problem is that the dealer only has two pre-owned GT-Rs, both of which are in gorgeous shape. If they sell, I'm going to have to wait for quite a while. So the dealer is recommending that I go ahead and pick a date when I'm sure they'll have a car to lend me.

You are extremely generous Phil. I imagine you will have the time of your life, you lucky bastige.

Back