SoCal Branch LEAF-Gathering Year 2 - #24c: 25 Aug 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SolPower said:
The EVAOSC (EV Association of So Calif) meets at 10 AM on the 3rd Sat of the month (Feb 18) at the South Coast AQMD 21865 E. Copley Dr. Diamond Bar, CA 91765. The web site is http://www.evaosc.org/index.html

I look forward to being at the Feb 25 gathering.
With all the PV solar they show off ... with their HUGE building ... and with all the charging infrastructure they have there (legacy chargers as well as L2) ... it's a continuing mystery as to why those folks do not yet have Q.C. charging available there. That'd make going to events WAY easy ... might I even say, way too easy!

SolPower said:
The EVAOSC (EV Association of So Calif) meets at 10 AM on the 3rd Sat of the month (Feb 18) at the South Coast AQMD 21865 E. Copley Dr. Diamond Bar, CA 91765. The web site is http://www.evaosc.org/index.html
Brief report on this EVAOSC Meeting:

The club voted to make a donation in memory of long-time EV advocate Doug Korthof. The money will go to the Adopt-A-Charger organization which is in negotiations to install L2 chargers at LB State and Bolsa Chica Wetlands. The latter site is dear to me personally.

The first speaker was Dr. Loyd Tran of Nasa Ames Research in Mountain View, CA. His program is training classes of EV technicians to do full EV conversions. All expenses for the training program are covered so the student pays nothing.

A new lawrence berkeley lab report says that the CA mandate to reduce the state's CO2 emissions by 80% relative to 1990 by 2050 can only be met if 75% of the personal vehicle fleet in CA is all-electric.

The core Panasonic Li-ion patent expired in 2011.

Dr Tran's research is on the Li-Air battery. He has a patent pending that will be owned by NASA, but they are not willing to fund full development. IBM is also working on the Li-Air battery, but they don't see commercialization for at least 10 years. Dr.Tran's patent involves nano technology, and he believes commercialization is possible in 3 years.

The Li-Air battery is not a new idea. It is working in the lab. The air must have absolutely no moisture which would react with the Lithium.

Li-Air batteries yield 5-7 times the energy density of Li-ion. A 400-mile range battery pack would weigh 150 lbs, and it could be constructed as 6 separate 25 lb removable modules. If you were in a hurry, you could swap out discharged modules for freshly charged modules.

The second speaker, Mr. Les Hamasaki, is an advocate for subsidies for EV conversions.

I will be going to HTB in Santa Ana this coming Saturday (25 Feb)
rather than "jumping ship" and going to the San Diego meeting.

I will rely upon the Kindness of Others to get and post
good pictures and info on:

1. Tony's ...
New Charging Adapter,
the Charge Hatch "mouthpiece" from Japan,
his custom Spare Tire Lift,
his new T-Shirts,
and ... some 2" receiver thingy.

2. The QCs (if any, especially if working).

3. all the other good stuff.

Thanks!

I'll be joining you at the Saturday Santa Ana HTB meeting. And surprise! :eek: I met two more Leafers at the Mitsubishi ChaDemo this past week. One was in a hurry so I didn't get to talk with him much, but the other gentleman and I had a nice chat about our respective Leaf experiences and there's a good chance that he (and perhaps an add'l friend) will be joining us as well. All good!

For folks coming down to San Diego from the OC on Saturday, we should have a 60kW generator running on site. That means we can charge numerous cars at once with the following plugs. In addition, I intend to have this charger powering the EV Oasis DC Quick Charger(s) on Saturday evening.

CAT Spec Sheet

Two single phase—California style twistlocks, (CS-6365... I have one adapter to L6-20 for EVSEupgrade)
*50 Amps @ 208 Volt phase to phase
*120 Volt phase to neutral (adjustable to 240/139) or
*240/120 single phase when operating in single phase voltage position.
Two single phase — GFCI Duplex receptacles, 20 Amps @ 120 Volts.*** (household 120v plug-in)
Two—3-phase NEMA locking receptacles,20Amps at 208/120V (should be L6-20 used on EVSEupgrade)
One —30A,125V single phase NEMA locking inlet receptacle

*** Receptacles not for use with unit operating at 480/277V or 240/139V 3 phase.

Gathering this Saturday (25 Feb) at the HTB on 17th in Santa Ana.
(just two blocks East of I-5 on 17th)

Looks like we will be missing a few "regulars",
but have a few new-comers.

I plan to be there shortly after 8 AM.
Cheers, Gary

Man, you guys are up to 36 pages in your 2nd thread already? I haven't been keeping up--too much going on lately but hopefully it'll change in a month or so.

We had 9 show up, with 6 LEAFs, I believe.

With 4 LEAF-buds, one-Spring LEAFer, and 4 Autumn-LEAFers,
we had a great mix of questions and attempted answers.

DCQC issues and CAN Logs, braking peculiarities,
firmware updates, range estimation, ... etc.

Acceleration peculiarities ... we missed.

Kat, we hope you are out of pain, and getting better. :D

Tom, we hope all WENT well! :roll:

Next meeting on March 10th in Cerritos, I expect.
Then, Santa Ana again on the 24th of March.

Comments or suggestions?

Get your taxes done!!!

Back