Solar Panels

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 strings of 8 with 24 panels total 5.16kw.

How do I set up kiosk mode on a Sunpower monitored system?

Who is your installer Silverleaf?

Gonewild said:
I have 3 strings of 8 with 24 panels total 5.16kw.

Who is your installer Silverleaf?

I chose Sun Valley Solar Solutions. They are the company that so successfully installed a system for LEAFfan. He can't say enough about their quality of service.

Gonewild said:

The SunPower iPhone app will email a kiosk link to your friends, but that link only lasts for 7 days. To get the URL for a permanent kiosk link you can email SunPower customer support - they will send it to you.

I tried getting quotes from 3 of the major solar panel leasing companies, but no luck. One said they'd get back to me and the other 2 said I was out of their service area.
So it's time to consider buying solar panels. Does anyone on this board have any recommendations for purchasing and installing solar panels in Orange County, CA? I'm in Anaheim Hills.

Adrian, we're in Irvine.

We used Sunwize. We interviewed a few others and Sunwize was the best price for our installation. We have 24 Sunpower panels with a Sunpower 5200 inverter. Let them know I recommended them. I'll send you a private message with my name and address.

http://sunwize.com/systems/local-offices.php

I suggest you contact

http://www.getsolar.com/

They are a national company out of San Francisco, CA.

They provided me with 3 reputable local companies (in Arizona).

All good companies, All worthy of considering, All well rated with BBB.

They are just a referral company. Good Luck with your search.

I would check with 1bog.org - they organize group buys of systems with reputable companies. They can get you a great price if they are running a program in your area - they also highly recommend that you get a couple competitive quotes as well.

When I was researching my system HelioPower was the selected contractor for my area - while I didn't go with them as I ended up installing my system myself to save even more money, they would have been at the top of my list otherwise.

Adrian said:
I tried getting quotes from 3 of the major solar panel leasing companies, but no luck. One said they'd get back to me and the other 2 said I was out of their service area.
So it's time to consider buying solar panels. Does anyone on this board have any recommendations for purchasing and installing solar panels in Orange County, CA? I'm in Anaheim Hills.

Hello Adrian,
I'm in Arizona and just guessing that there are a few thousand solar vendors in Southern California. I have no Idea why they wouldn't offer you quotes.

I went with SunRun Solar when they did a 1bog campaign in Arizona with there no money down lease and a 1.9% annual adjustment and an option to buy after the sixth year.
They have been in since March 2010 and I just can't wait to plug my LEAF into solar energy.

http://www.sunrunhome.com/ca/california-solar-tax-credit/csi-cities

Good Luck
Carlos

I got mine from groSolar through 1bog. The price through 1bog was significantly better than the other quotes.

The crew from groSolar did an excellent job with the installation.

Thank you to everyone that responded. Time to get busy getting proposals. Is there an acceptable $ figure per kwh (is that the right unit?) of an installation using a traditional single inverter? How about a $/kwh for an installation using individual micro-inverters?

greenleaf said:
I got mine from groSolar through 1bog. The price through 1bog was significantly better than the other quotes.

The crew from groSolar did an excellent job with the installation.

I checked with 1bog over a year ago, and they said they weren't in the Phoenix area at that time so I checked again before choosing a company (used the AZ Solar Commission to give me three pre-checked companies) and they still didn't have enough people for the Phoenix area. So I'm sure it works great IF they have enough people wanting solar in your area.

Reporting January production:

Total: 901 kWh

Average per day: 29 kWh

Our feelings:

Very pleased!!! Thank you, Tucson sun!!!

Is there an Arizona Solar Blog available? My system will be installed in March, and I'd like to participate in a blog about production results, installers, equipment, etc. Possibly even a separate thread on this board (with separate threads for location).

Azrich said:

(5.8KW DC system -> ~5KW AC)

Wow!! Almost 6 full "solar hours" per day relative to your AC rating - in winter...outstanding. You must have a really good panel orientation to go along with the lack of clouds. We had just under 4 solar hours per day avg. in January and even if it had been clear every day the most we could have hoped for would have been about 4.6 x rating.

In CA, it'll be a miracle (presuming you're panels are any where near 16%) due to installer's rates, if you're price breakdown works out to the VERY high $4.90's per kWh.

wsbca said:
Azrich said:

(5.8KW DC system -> ~5KW AC)

Wow!! Almost 6 full "solar hours" per day relative to your AC rating - in winter...outstanding. You must have a really good panel orientation to go along with the lack of clouds. We had just under 4 solar hours per day avg. in January and even if it had been clear every day the most we could have hoped for would have been about 4.6 x rating.

Because of facing West, we only had about 3 hours of solar radiation according to PV Watts. And it will be only around 4 for Feb. It goes to around 8 in May-July.

LEAFfan said:
Because of facing West, we only had about 3 hours of solar radiation according to PV Watts. And it will be only around 4 for Feb. It goes to around 8 in May-July.
Don't feel bad, LEAFfan, there's a guy maybe 10 miles away from us right on Newport Bay. He put in a 36.3 kWh (AC) system last year.

http://solarhbj.com/news/newport-beach-homeowner-sees-solar-as-savvy-investment-0903

He likely only averages 3 hours per day due to the constant fog and low clouds that the area has ... all four seasons. What a drag, to install so many panels, for what's likely a marginal yield.

hill said:
LEAFfan said:
Don't feel bad, LEAFfan, there's a guy maybe 10 miles away from us right on Newport Bay. He put in a 36.3 kWh (AC) system last year.

http://solarhbj.com/news/newport-beach-homeowner-sees-solar-as-savvy-investment-0903

He likely only averages 3 hours per day due to the constant fog and low clouds that the area has ... all four seasons. What a drag, to install so many panels, for what's likely a marginal yield.

You might be surprised. A lot depends on the panels he put in. I am exactly 1 mile to the coast and my panels are SunPower units....i generate a few kWh/day even when it's raining. The thickness of the clouds determines a lot, but so does panel efficiency.

I'd love to see an on-line display of his generation! ;)

Back