Star Trek Into Darkness (May 17th, 2013) (NO SPOILERS please

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
...the movies that came out in the 80's were totally awesome. I saw the first one probably 5 times
I thought that first Star Trek movie (1979) was slow and boring, basically a TOS episode expanded to movie length with pretty special effects. I really wanted to like it so I hoped that when it came out on DVD the Director's Cut would be an improvement, but it wasn't so I sold it. Some of the later movies were fun though.

DaveinOlyWA said:
what did you think of the remake that came out a few years back? I enjoyed it well enough but not enough to see it more than once. the movies that came out in the 80's were totally awesome. I saw the first one probably 5 times
You're talking about the JJ-verse reboot in the first case, right? I enjoyed it and have seen it multiple times. Then again, I'm a pretty big Star Trek fan.
dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...the movies that came out in the 80's were totally awesome. I saw the first one probably 5 times
I thought that first Star Trek movie (1979) was slow and boring, basically a TOS episode expanded to movie length with pretty special effects. I really wanted to like it so I hoped that when it came out on DVD the Director's Cut would be an improvement, but it wasn't so I sold it. Some of the later movies were fun though.
Yeah... I didn't like The Motion Picture. It was boring and by far the weakest of the Trek movies so far, IMHO. However, many of the ones that followed were pretty decent or great, IMHO. I liked II (but it feels dated now), III, IV (very funny), VI, Generations (yeah yeah... it's an odd number), and First Contact. V isn't as terrible as everyone says, IMHO, it was better than TMP. Nemesis was so-so.
dgpcolorado said:
What gets me is that nearly all the tech on Star Trek is hokum (Heisenberg Compensators? Inertial Dampeners?), never mind the whole idea of time warp factor FTL travel and artificial gravity. Yet some people are Oh So Serious about it all! I like to read science fiction, but the operative word is "fiction"...

Liked the first movie, hope the second is as good. (Even a friend of mine who dislikes sci-fi liked the first movie, to my great surprise.)
Yep. Fiction is the key word. Yeah, I enjoyed the JJ-verse reboot movie and yeah, I'm sure that they attempted to make it more accessible/likable for people who don't even know Trek at all.

well, I liked the first one. ok, i admit it was a bit drawn out. the directors cut was a good 10 minutes in a super slow scan of the new Enterprise but what do you expect? after 25 years of nothing but old TV reruns, there were millions who wanted that detail. to look back at it now, its "whats the point?" but back then, it was completely different.

watching it now is a lot different than back then. the newest one i think was a bit hard to digest because it was different people playing characters you knew so well. it had much better bling due to it simply having an additional 30 years of cinema tech behind it and it was a back story so stuff that was very much new to us.

the later movies were also very good. "Wrath of Khan" and so on.

cwerdna said:
...Yep. Fiction is the key word. Yeah, I enjoyed the JJ-verse reboot movie and yeah, I'm sure that they attempted to make it more accessible/likable for people who don't even know Trek at all.
What stood out about the reboot was that it was character driven: Kirk and Spock being polar opposites and hating each other but eventually coming to respect one another to the point of friendship. But the other characters were also excellent, especially Karl Urban (a New Zealander!) as McCoy—he was a hoot!

DaveinOlyWA said:
well, I liked the first one. ok, i admit it was a bit drawn out. the directors cut was a good 10 minutes in a super slow scan of the new Enterprise but what do you expect? after 25 years of nothing but old TV reruns, there were millions who wanted that detail. to look back at it now, its "whats the point?" but back then, it was completely different.

watching it now is a lot different than back then. the newest one i think was a bit hard to digest because it was different people playing characters you knew so well. it had much better bling due to it simply having an additional 30 years of cinema tech behind it and it was a back story so stuff that was very much new to us.
I'm an old guy who watched TOS during the original broadcast. So, yes, I was very excited about the movie in 1979 and waited in line to see it opening night. And was underwhelmed. By then Star Wars had set the bar pretty high for fun story-telling. But the movies got better after the first one, as cwerdna said.

another thing about the new one was the departure from the TV series. Spock and Kirk did not go thru the academy together. In the show "The Menagerie" Capt Pike is who Spock started under and this happens years before Kirk becomes a star ship captain. it is also (along with "the cage") my favorite TV episode.

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I'm an old guy who watched TOS during the original broadcast. So, yes, I was very excited about the movie in 1979 and waited in line to see it opening night. And was underwhelmed. By then Star Wars had set the bar pretty high for fun story-telling. But the movies got better after the first one, as cwerdna said.

i agree and the "whale" movie (journey home?) was by far the best imho and rates as one of my favorite movies of all time of any kind...

DaveinOlyWA said:
...i agree and the "whale" movie (journey home?) was by far the best imho and rates as one of my favorite movies of all time of any kind...
Yes, I liked that one (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, 1986). I think my favorite was First Contact, although the tech detail folks didn't like it because there was no mention of Intertial Dampeners for the first warp drive ship and they thought the whole idea of a Borg "queen" violated very idea of Borg.

Although it wasn't as popular as TNG, my overwhelming favorite of the TV series was Deep Space Nine. It had excellent character development and the years-long story arcs I prefer. But that sort of show doesn't syndicate well, unlike the typical "reset to zero" episodic shows like TOS and TNG. (Other really good long story arc sci-fi shows include Babylon 5, Farscape and, to some degree, the ten season Stargate SG-1.)

As for the Abrams reboot movie being different from the original series, that was the whole point of setting it in a parallel universe: they could play with the plot lines rather than have to stick to Trek canon. I thought it was a clever move and worked well. It helped that they got a superb cast to play the supporting characters. I mentioned Karl Urban as McCoy above but also noteworthy were Zoe Saldana as Uhura and Simon Pegg as Scotty.

TNG I saw a bit of (working thru it SLOWLY on netflix) but deep space nine was completely during my TV blackout period. (i did no TV at all for 14 years and very rarely do it now. other than the Seahawks and an occasional PBS or History Channel show or network News, I decline) so missed it completely. One thing I will never give up is Netflix instant view. I am not really certain of this, but I believe they have just about the entire Star Trek Catalog, both TV and movies. the newest movie might not be on there but pretty sure all the tv shows are there including some i was unaware of.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TNG I saw a bit of (working thru it SLOWLY on netflix) but deep space nine was completely during my TV blackout period. (i did no TV at all for 14 years and very rarely do it now. other than the Seahawks and an occasional PBS or History Channel show or network News, I decline) so missed it completely. One thing I will never give up is Netflix instant view. I am not really certain of this, but I believe they have just about the entire Star Trek Catalog, both TV and movies. the newest movie might not be on there but pretty sure all the tv shows are there including some i was unaware of.
DS9 is on there. ;)

ztanos said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DS9 is on there. ;)
DS9 was a follow-on to TNG, so seeing that series first is very helpful. Worf is a major character in DS9 and the Ferengi, Cardassians, Bajorans, and Trills are introduced in TNG episodes, all crucial to DS9. I have the seven DS9 seasons on DVD. Not every Trek fan likes the series though, since it is so different from the other spaceship based series.

ztanos said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DS9 is on there. ;)

ya, noticed that and plan to get to them one of these days. I only watch netflix on demand for shows i am actively following (i go thru a new season in a week or less usually!) and when I have nothing else to do. which is rare right now as its the busiest time for work till Feb... but its definitely in my queue!

Another new trailer/promo piece below. There are only a couple new scenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Aik_4r2IVho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just came across this today. It's apparently from December 14th.
Star Trek Into Darkness - Benedict Cumberbatch Talks John Harrison:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RrqfnRoe_k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More new trailers released on March 21st...
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-new-international-star-trek-into-darkness-trailers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It's Spock! Do You Care?" with Zachary Quinto (fixed this URL, was wrong before):
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/6ec301e0aa/it-s-spock-do-you-care-with-zachary-quinto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above goes well with http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_hqzKdHolf4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. :D

dgpcolorado said:
ztanos said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DS9 is on there. ;)
DS9 was a follow-on to TNG, so seeing that series first is very helpful. Worf is a major character in DS9 and the Ferengi, Cardassians, Bajorans, and Trills are introduced in TNG episodes, all crucial to DS9. I have the seven DS9 seasons on DVD. Not every Trek fan likes the series though, since it is so different from the other spaceship based series.

It's definitely different. I have a hard time giving my order of favorites, but this is absolutely 1 or 2. Not my favorite characters overall, but my favorite series overall.

Check Out 12 Star Trek Into Darkness Stills – Now In Hi-Res:
http://trekmovie.com/2013/04/06/check-recent-star-trek-into-darkness-stills-now-in-hi-res/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herm said:
Leave Voyager and Cpt Janeway for last if you can.. if you get lucky you may die before you get to it...

I actually liked Voyager. Plus Janeway was a great role model for my teenage daughter.
Enterprise was ok but seemed so negative, especially the captain.

Another trailer came out today at http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrekintodarkness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Looks awesome!

http://www.startrek.com/article/into-darkness-stars-at-mtv-movie-awards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has a brief ad (nothing really new) but about 3/4 of the way down the page is a video of Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto presenting an award.

Another clip at http://www.startrek.com/article/new-spock-clip-revealed-plus-stid-tickets-on-sale-now-for-u-s-showings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Was very different than the recent trailers.

Back