still confused about installing a 2nd meter for SDGE EV Proj

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SDG&E pays for an Electrician to install conduit, meter panel, etc.?
I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

I thought SDG&E supplies the meter, and mounts it ("installs" it) on the meter ring that you (or EVProject) pay to have installed and wired to existing suitable service.

Also, IF the addition requires a service upgrade (here that requires trenching to the street to put in new service-supply wiring), the cost is "expensive" and EVProject would only pay part of that cost.

Here, on my 150-amp service was downgraded to a 110-amp main breaker when they added a 40-amp PV Breaker (about 30-amp max current). I have a central A/C, and an overly-conjested main panel, I am very close to needing at least a sub-panel. Also, I do not know of any way to get "back up" to (near) my original 150-amp main breaker, although I an allowed a 140-amp main breaker (150 * 120% = 180 - 40 = 140) after the PV de-rating of the 150-amp service panel. But, apparently 140A (or 130A, or 120A) breakers are difficult to find.

But, a new sub-panel would at least provide room for additional breakers, if it can be configured properly.

garygid said:

I thought SDG&E supplies the meter, and mounts it ("installs" it) on the meter ring that you (or EVProject) pay to have installed and wired to existing suitable service.

I believe you are correct, Gary. Either way, because I'm in the EVP, my second meter was free regardless of who paid for it. ;)

Jimmydreams said:
This way, the value on the EV meter gets billed at the TOU rates and the main meter will get net metered for the proper amount.
Thanks. It more or less has to be set up this way if the EV TOU is to mean anything. I guess the setup is SDGE-->Main Meter-->EV Meter-->Inverter and the EV Meter usage is billed separately. That's disadvantageous if you're charging during the day but overall generating more than you're using. You'd be paying $.38/kWh for the charger but actually sending power to the grid.

Overall though the program is a no-brainer. It's impossible to beat the super off-peak rates which you should be able to use 90%+ of the time. If you needed to charge during the day, the situation above, there isn't anything preventing you from using a 120V wall plug in the garage which is on the house meter.

garygid said:
Here, on my 150-amp service was downgraded to a 110-amp main breaker when they added a 40-amp PV Breaker (about 30-amp max current). I have a central A/C, and an overly-conjested main panel, I am very close to needing at least a sub-panel. Also, I do not know of any way to get "back up" to (near) my original 150-amp main breaker, although I an allowed a 140-amp main breaker (150 * 120% = 180 - 40 = 140) after the PV de-rating of the 150-amp service panel. But, apparently 140A (or 130A, or 120A) breakers are difficult to find.
The issue you're outlining relates to the installation of the EVSE equipment not the meter. The problem is that you don't have enough breakers for the EVSE. But once the EVSE wall unit is installed, using half breakers or a subpanel or upgrading the main panel or whatever, having SDG&E add the second meter is trivial. IOW I understand the problem but I don't think it has anything to do with the second meter from SDG&E.

Or am I missing something?

Jimmydreams said:
garygid said:

I believe you are correct, Gary. Either way, because I'm in the EVP, my second meter was free regardless of who paid for it. ;)

I believe you are both wrong, because that's what I learned by calling SDG&E and asking their EVProject experts. :)

For EVProject participants, SDG&E (not EVP) pays for the second meter, the installation of the second meter (via contractor) the surface-mount socket for the second meter, and the breaker to the second meter.

garygid said:
Sub panels are straight forward and an easy way to get additional panel space if you have the room for the sub-panel. Very common to do.

125A breakers should also be readily available. Home Depot has 2 different ones. Your local electrical supply house should have even more. A load calculation (as discussed in the other thread) will tell you what the minimum main breaker size you need is with the EVSE.

GroundLoop said:
Jimmydreams said:
garygid said:

I believe you are both wrong, because that's what I learned by calling SDG&E and asking their EVProject experts. :)

For EVProject participants, SDG&E (not EVP) pays for the second meter, the installation of the second meter (via contractor) the surface-mount socket for the second meter, and the breaker to the second meter.

Just a point of information, Because it seemed from reading posts here that some were gettting the second meter installed for free, I did ask the EV project if they would install a second TOU meter for the EVSE at their expense and the answer was no. LADWP is my PU and they are not providing the second meter for free. It would have been quite expensive to install so we are opting for whole house TOU.

Kataphn said:
Just a point of information, Because it seemed from reading posts here that some were gettting the second meter installed for free, I did ask the EV project if they would install a second TOU meter for the EVSE at their expense and the answer was no. LADWP is my PU and they are not providing the second meter for free. It would have been quite expensive to install so we are opting for whole house TOU.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. I was unaware who exactly was paying for the meter. It sounds like SDG&E paid for it as part of their experimental rates that I agreed to. All I know is that I wasn't billed for the work.....sorry to hear that it wasn't EVP that paid for it. :cry:

Back