Super excited!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too just purchased my Leaf Preowned. 2011 silver SL, Just under 5,800 miles. I love it. I financed it as a new car through my credit union (lower interest rate), because of the low miles on it. Their criteria per the credit union was 2011 or newer, less than 7,500 miles.

I don't have an EVSE at home, use one at the garage that I park for work (Downtown LA). The charge is free, on the Chargepoint network. I like the plugshare.com, but would also suggest joining Chargepoint, since they still have quite a few charging stations that will let you juice up for free, just have to pay for parking where applicable. they also have charge stations that charge to fuel up, but generally it's a dollar or 2 an hour. Blink charges to use their chargers, but again, kinda reasonable, as low as $2/hr. I was even able to grab some juice at South Coast Plaza on a chargepoint station, again, fueling up for free. It sure beats paying $150/mth on gas.

And I am stoked at the maint schedule, something at about every 7,500 miles, but from what I have read, the dealer charge is minimal, less than $50. guess that has to do with the fact that there isn't much to do, with so much less moving parts and all.

Having fun in my Leaf

Congrats to the new owners! Just for fun, try driving some mountain roads when you get a chance. There's nothing like climbing a mountain without the constant sound of a gas engine. :)

abasile said:
Congrats to the new owners! Just for fun, try driving some mountain roads when you get a chance. There's nothing like climbing a mountain without the constant sound of a gas engine. :)
Or coming back down and gaining a bar of energy without ever touching the brake pedal!

shellabee said:
LEAFer said:
Speaking of maintenance on a used LEAF ... it would be wise for all used-LEAF buyers to ensure the annual battery check has been done (to keep the battery warranty (as little as it may mean) in force ). Naturally, you should try to get the service paperwork from the seller and/or find out where the car had its service done.

Unfortunately, the dealership I bought it from didn't have any of that info, but I should be able to schedule this battery check myself at my local dealership, right? What about oil changes and stuff? Can I go anywhere or is Nissan the best option? How often do you get maintenance?
Had to laugh at this one.

This vehicle is nothing like any you have ever owned, so erase a lot of what you think you know about caring for and driving a car and restart your education.

This one is a whole lot easier to learn though.

No smog checks, no belts, no timing chains, no pistons, no problems as long as you understand the vehicle, which through the above post I read that you don't really know what you have yet. That is great in some ways, so no worries.

Let me help you learn a little. There is no fuel filter and in some ways, there is no fuel. There is power stored in the 24KWH battery, and about 20KWH is usable. Popular belief is that if you keep the battery between 20% and 80% charged, it will last more than ten years. With none that old we just don't know yet, but it is a mistake to top it off as often as you can - especially if it is not discharged below the 80% level. High heat should be avoided, which is why quick charging might not be good for the batteries. Some degradation of the battery will happen - how fast is not known yet, all we can do is guess at this point. I hope to have at least 50% of my battery still usable in ten years time, but so far I haven't had any real loss. Some people have seen a rapid degradation, and high heat is the suspect. I have to wonder if the insulation on those battery packs has a defect, but so far we just don't know yet.

Turn on the power use screen after you start the car. It is found by touching the blue button on the lower right of the display, and then hit the power option. This will show three pie graphics that display how you are currently using that 20KWH. If you just have the car on it pulls very little power, the climate control can pull more power, and the big circle is what you are using or gaining when you are driving. From there it is pretty easy to figure out how much power you will use to get where you are going. If you are using all 80kw the drive motor can put out, you will run out of power from a full charge in just 15 minutes. You really can't do that since they have limited the top speed at 94 or so, but if you have four flat tires or are driving through cement you could in theory do it. Most of the time you will use less than 20KW, and that means one hour of driving. This is another way of figuring out how far you can go, without trusting the number the car is telling you - which is not to be trusted. If you ever see a low battery warning, figure you have less than 20% of the usable batttery left, or about 4kwhs. If you are on flat ground and go slow, you could go for another hour if you only use 3-4kw for total power.

While that sounds hard, with a little effort it can be done, and your speed will not be 5mph either. The optimum speed stated by Nissan is 37MPH.

When driving keep in mind the best thing to do is use no energy, nor gain any energy. I utilize N to do this, which can be engaged by holding the shifter to the left for a few seconds and then letting it go. You then use kinetic energy to get the maximum distance. If you are coasting downhill you may need to slow the car - don't use the brakes, shift it back into D and feel the regen slow you. Need to slow down faster? Shift to ECO.

If that sounds too hard and you don't want to be troubled with the shifter, you can in effect do the same simply by using your foot on the pedals. A light foot on the brake engages more regen but if you hit the brakes hard, you go straight to the brakes and you get no regeneration at all. Glance at the energy use screen to get the dial as close to zero as you can.

Charging the car on its own power is the greenest way to charge the car. I drive mountain roads, and I still have 95% or more of my brake pads. I pretty much only engage the brakes to come to a full stop.

Don't worry too much about maintenance. Rotating the tires is all I have done to mine, and I have 20,000 miles on it. I am overdue for my third rotation, they should be done every 6000 miles or so. I suppose I could get a filter for it too at this point.

Caracalover said:
shellabee said:
LEAFer said:
Speaking of maintenance on a used LEAF ... it would be wise for all used-LEAF buyers to ensure the annual battery check has been done (to keep the battery warranty (as little as it may mean) in force ). Naturally, you should try to get the service paperwork from the seller and/or find out where the car had its service done.

Unfortunately, the dealership I bought it from didn't have any of that info, but I should be able to schedule this battery check myself at my local dealership, right? What about oil changes and stuff? Can I go anywhere or is Nissan the best option? How often do you get maintenance?
Had to laugh at this one.

This vehicle is nothing like any you have ever owned, so erase a lot of what you think you know about caring for and driving a car and restart your education.

This one is a whole lot easier to learn though.

No smog checks, no belts, no timing chains, no pistons, no problems as long as you understand the vehicle, which through the above post I read that you don't really know what you have yet. That is great in some ways, so no worries.

Let me help you learn a little. There is no fuel filter and in some ways, there is no fuel. There is power stored in the 24KWH battery, and about 20KWH is usable. Popular belief is that if you keep the battery between 20% and 80% charged, it will last more than ten years. With none that old we just don't know yet, but it is a mistake to top it off as often as you can - especially if it is not discharged below the 80% level. High heat should be avoided, which is why quick charging might not be good for the batteries. Some degradation of the battery will happen - how fast is not known yet, all we can do is guess at this point. I hope to have at least 50% of my battery still usable in ten years time, but so far I haven't had any real loss. Some people have seen a rapid degradation, and high heat is the suspect. I have to wonder if the insulation on those battery packs has a defect, but so far we just don't know yet.

Turn on the power use screen after you start the car. It is found by touching the blue button on the lower right of the display, and then hit the power option. This will show three pie graphics that display how you are currently using that 20KWH. If you just have the car on it pulls very little power, the climate control can pull more power, and the big circle is what you are using or gaining when you are driving. From there it is pretty easy to figure out how much power you will use to get where you are going. If you are using all 80kw the drive motor can put out, you will run out of power from a full charge in just 15 minutes. You really can't do that since they have limited the top speed at 94 or so, but if you have four flat tires or are driving through cement you could in theory do it. Most of the time you will use less than 20KW, and that means one hour of driving. This is another way of figuring out how far you can go, without trusting the number the car is telling you - which is not to be trusted. If you ever see a low battery warning, figure you have less than 20% of the usable batttery left, or about 4kwhs. If you are on flat ground and go slow, you could go for another hour if you only use 3-4kw for total power.

While that sounds hard, with a little effort it can be done, and your speed will not be 5mph either. The optimum speed stated by Nissan is 37MPH.

When driving keep in mind the best thing to do is use no energy, nor gain any energy. I utilize N to do this, which can be engaged by holding the shifter to the left for a few seconds and then letting it go. You then use kinetic energy to get the maximum distance. If you are coasting downhill you may need to slow the car - don't use the brakes, shift it back into D and feel the regen slow you. Need to slow down faster? Shift to ECO.

If that sounds too hard and you don't want to be troubled with the shifter, you can in effect do the same simply by using your foot on the pedals. A light foot on the brake engages more regen but if you hit the brakes hard, you go straight to the brakes and you get no regeneration at all. Glance at the energy use screen to get the dial as close to zero as you can.

Charging the car on its own power is the greenest way to charge the car. I drive mountain roads, and I still have 95% or more of my brake pads. I pretty much only engage the brakes to come to a full stop.

Don't worry too much about maintenance. Rotating the tires is all I have done to mine, and I have 20,000 miles on it. I am overdue for my third rotation, they should be done every 6000 miles or so. I suppose I could get a filter for it too at this point.

Thanks for all the info! I did a lot of research before purchasing, but there is some stuff that I will just have to learn with time, or may NEVER truly understand, maybe because it is just too technical. I am interested in the "coasting in neutral" thing. Any more info anyone could provide on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

shellabee said:
Thanks for all the info! I did a lot of research before purchasing, but there is some stuff that I will just have to learn with time, or may NEVER truly understand, maybe because it is just too technical. I am interested in the "coasting in neutral" thing. Any more info anyone could provide on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
There is not really a neutral like you typically think of neutral with this car. I like to think of the N selection as a No power gained or lost mode. With no gears you are never truly disenged from the motor, you are just not powering it in either direction when N is selected.

When the car is 100% charged, you have no regeneration, so the car acts like it is in N when you take your foot off the accelerator.

There are two ways to go into N. Hold the shifter to the left until N is selected, or shift into the wrong direction at a high enough speed. I don't use the second option anymore, but some people do since it is faster. The car will beep but nothing else will happen. You need to be going over 20 MPH (Some say 8MPH) but if you go directly into R from D at 5MPH once, you will know it is not something the car "likes". That is how I decided not to use that method because habits are hard to break, and that had become my habit. I can now time my shift into N by holding the selector to the side, and I time it for when I crest hills, reach the speed I want, or whenever else I need to.

My average speed on the dash is over 30MPH, and my M/Kw are over 4, usually over 5. I live on the side of a mountain, so I make the drive interesting through the use of these tricks.

surfingslovak said:
shellabee said:
Well, that's awesome! So, how do I go about switching out the cabin filter? Where is it located and where can I purchase it? I should probabky just check it now, since the previous owner had it less than a year, it probably has not had it's annual maintenance.
Gary wrote up a nice DIY guide on the SF BayLEAFs website: LEAF Cabin Air Filter Replacement

NlmxP2

Ox0ZSf

I am ready to replace my cabin filter and I came across this new thread so I want to be as prepared as possible b4 I start. I have one question about the tutorial here if anyone would be so kind to help clarify: Instructions say, "Pay attention to the proper orientation of the filter, there will be an arrow pointing forward, make sure to install the filter pointing that way." Does "forward" mean forward in the direction the air blows or forward as in the direction of the front of the car?

I will probably see it on the existing filter but just want to double check.

Thanks

LEAFer said:

Is there any reason why battery checks shouldn't be available from Nissan corporate? I mean that data has to be stored somewhere other than locally right?

Caracalover said:
shellabee said:

Thanks again!
There is not really a neutral like you typically think of neutral with this car. I like to think of the N selection as a No power gained or lost mode. With no gears you are never truly disenged from the motor, you are just not powering it in either direction when N is selected.

When the car is 100% charged, you have no regeneration, so the car acts like it is in N when you take your foot off the accelerator.

There are two ways to go into N. Hold the shifter to the left until N is selected, or shift into the wrong direction at a high enough speed. I don't use the second option anymore, but some people do since it is faster. The car will beep but nothing else will happen. You need to be going over 20 MPH (Some say 8MPH) but if you go directly into R from D at 5MPH once, you will know it is not something the car "likes". That is how I decided not to use that method because habits are hard to break, and that had become my habit. I can now time my shift into N by holding the selector to the side, and I time it for when I crest hills, reach the speed I want, or whenever else I need to.

My average speed on the dash is over 30MPH, and my M/Kw are over 4, usually over 5. I live on the side of a mountain, so I make the drive interesting through the use of these tricks.
Shellabee, one disadvantage of using neutral for coasting that you should be aware of is that braking regen is off. If one becomes used to using regen to slow before stopping and forgets about being in neutral, the lack of braking can be a surprise. So, just be aware that you need to shift back to D or Eco before slowing or stopping, in order to use regen braking instead of the friction brakes.

I have found that, with practice, I can hold a "neutral" setting in Eco using the pie graph on the energy display on the console—like many people here I drive with the energy screen up most of the time. Eco is preferred for this because holding the "A pedal" at the same spot will keep the power/neutral/regen exactly the same despite changing terrain; this is very hard to do in D.

If I am only going to be coasting for a short time or just want to fine tune my speed a bit, I find that feathering the "A pedal" in Eco is more convenient than shifting to neutral. For coasting a long way shifting to neutral is easier. Just remember to shift back to D or Eco before braking or accelerating!

Welcome.

I just got my Leaf last week as well :) I love this forum for the people and all the tips and tricks I am learning.

So far my car is behaving just as expected and everyone who finds out I have one seems very excited about them. I too had done quite a bit of research and have used this forum and others to make sure I can figure out how to get the best range. It doesn't hurt to have a father that was an engineer in the battery arena for cars as well. I also found out a lot of helpful information from my dealership as well. I didn't realize that the battery cells were in modules so if you found something wrong with them or seeing degradation then you can replace the cell module giving the problem and not the whole battery pack. That was one of the reasons we decided to buy instead of lease. The other is the dealership was not offering us a good option to lease. A 4 year lease to me made no sense at all.

Oh well.

Again enjoy and stay excited because I am :mrgreen:

Back