Tesla Model S sold out for 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, now how about building and delivering just one to a single paying customer, then I will be impressed.

P.S. I sold out of all of my magic fairy dust too :)

Elon is getting a lot more publicity these days, with his appearance in "Revenge of the Electric Car", this PR statement is timed to take advantage of that, and boost the stock price of course, which has been, frankly pretty depressed. I hope they can make these, I am just a little sick of all of these announcements, its time to put up or shut up. How about announcing the REAL price of the Model S, delivered, with the the options that will really be required, such as leather seats.. no one is buying an $80-90K car without leather seats. There is no real set list price yet, and the options prices are still up in the air, frankly Mr Musk, we could use more "action" and less "talk"

P.S. $5K deposits are not enough to get a "Signature" edition Model S, if you go to their website, you will see to get one of the first 1,000 Signature edition Model S's with the 300 mile pack, you need to put down $40K. $5K deposit holders will likely be waiting until nearly 2013 for their cars.

evnow said:
mitch672 said:
.. no one is buying an $80-90K car without leather seats.
Hmmm ... I know people who won't touch leather (a very un-green product, afterall).

The Model S is no econobox, its directly competing with high end Audi's and BMW's, (and NOT the Leaf or the Ford Hocus Pocus Focus EV) these are not your "green" "save the planet" buyers in most cases, this is a luxury EV, a whole different animal. You probably won't be able to find one Model S without leather seats.

mitch672 said:
The Model S is no econobox, its directly competing with high end Audi's and BMW's, (and NOT the Leaf or the Ford Hocus Pocus Focus EV) these are not your "green" "save the planet" buyers in most cases, this is a luxury EV, a whole different animal. You probably won't be able to find one Model S without leather seats.
You are so out of loop with the west coast ethos. I'm talking about people who already own over $100k cars and multi-million $ homes.

Let's have a bet, if Tesla releases statistics (which they may or may not). I'm betting most of these are delivered with every option availble, that includes leather seating. Even the $95-109K Fisker Karma will for the most part be fully optioned out. If your buying luxury, you get it fully loaded.

mitch672 said:
evnow said:
mitch672 said:
.. no one is buying an $80-90K car without leather seats.
Hmmm ... I know people who won't touch leather (a very un-green product, afterall).

I might buy a Model S but I centainly do not want any leather on the seats. It has nothing to do with being "green", just that I find leather uncomfortable to sit on. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter and much more slippery. Some sort of microfiber cloth (alcantara?) would be my to choice.

Vinyl or synthetic leather would be even worse than leather.

None of our home furniture has any leather either.

jkirkebo said:
I might buy a Model S but I centainly do not want any leather on the seats. It has nothing to do with being "green", just that I find leather uncomfortable to sit on. It's hot in the summer, cold in the winter and much more slippery. Some sort of microfiber cloth (alcantara?) would be my to choice.

Vinyl or synthetic leather would be even worse than leather.

None of our home furniture has any leather either.

I have leather seats in my Prius Model V, I actually like that they are slippery, helps me get in and out easier :) I doubt they will be cloth seats, most likely some type of synthetic material on the low end, and either leather or a leather like substitute (which is what Toyota is now doing) on the fully decked out model.

mitch672 said:
Let's have a bet, if Tesla releases statistics (which they may or may not). I'm betting most of these are delivered with every option availble, that includes leather seating. Even the $95-109K Fisker Karma will for the most part be fully optioned out. If your buying luxury, you get it fully loaded.
Most <> All. We just need one example to prove you wrong.

You probably won't be able to find one Model S without leather seats.
no one is buying an $80-90K car without leather seats.

ps : A poll in the Tesla forum should be interesting. If I run one, I'll post it here.

evnow said:
mitch672 said:
Most <> All. We just need one example to prove you wrong.

You probably won't be able to find one Model S without leather seats.
no one is buying an $80-90K car without leather seats.

ps : A poll in the Tesla forum should be interesting. If I run one, I'll post it here.

Its also how the mfr equips the vehicles, if they make %98 of them fully optioned/loaded, then getting one of those %2 not fully optioned/loaded is difficult. They have a duty to their shareholders to make the most profit they can, which often means making compromises on the assembly line, thats what I am refering to.

mitch672 said:
The seats may well not be leather. I don't think BMW uses leather. I think they use some synthetic they call "leatherette". No doubt everyone refers to it as leather. So you might want to reword the bet to include substitute leather products (but I agree with you that the vast majority of Model S's will come with "upgraded seats").

No doubt you'd be able to get cloth seats. My prediction is that the base Model S, the one for $57K, probably won't come with lots of options you'd expect on a $57K car and that even the base Model S with a few basic options will end up costing $67K

SanDust said:
mitch672 said:
The seats may well not be leather. I don't think BMW uses leather. I think they use some synthetic they call "leatherette". No doubt everyone refers to it as leather. So you might want to reword the bet to include substitute leather products (but I agree with you that the vast majority of Model S's will come with "upgraded seats").

No doubt you'd be able to get cloth seats. My prediction is that the base Model S, the one for $57K, probably won't come with lots of options you'd expect on a $57K car and that even the base Model S with a few basic options will end up costing $67K

Leather or a leather substitute is the same thing, Toyota is using a substitute now in the Prius PHEV Advanced, as I expect most mfrs to use a substitute these days, to at least "appear" to be green / earth friendly and keep PETA from picketing them :)

My main point was, for buyers of high end cars, they don't hem and haw about the options, most just say "load it up", and go with the car fully loaded, most are not pinching pennies at this level of vehicle, that was the original point. The Tesla Model S is a nice car, if I could actually buy one, I would get it over the Leaf, but I think by the time I could actually get one on the east coast, my 3 year Lease will be up on the Leaf anyway :)

Lots of the 6,500 people paid a lot more then $5,000 to reserve a Tesla Model S. The first Models S cars will be fully decked out all the options ($10,000) with the 300 mile range battery pack (an additional $20,000) option. The First Model S of the line will be for the Tesla Signature buyers. Signature buyers are required to pay $50,000 down payment, to get in line.

I bet you will not see the $57,500 (aka $50,000 that is less fed tax credit) Model S until 2013 or more likely 2014. That is why I bought the Leaf now. After all the hype dies down, 3 of 4 years, we will look at a Tesla. By then Tesla should have their SUV and compact models out.

I don't know why the company's stock should go up, even with 6500 units presold there is no way they break even or make any profit on that low volume. Their viability and profitability is way off, they have to pay for R&D on several more models and start producing in significant volume. And by the time they achieve this many other brands of EVs will be on the market, including other premium brands like the BMW i8.

SteveInSeattle said:
I don't know why the company's stock should go up, even with 6500 units presold there is no way they break even or make any profit on that low volume.
Hmmmm ... profit ? Surely you don't look at that when investing ...

Tesla is providing powertrains for the next gen RAV4 EV going on sale next year... that's how they got the NUMMI factory and why they are optimistic about profitability.

Back