Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Drees,
I don't know why the Supercharger sites don't have to comply with ADA parking and striping requirements, but if they added L2 I'd have to think that it would trigger those types of questions in many jurisdictions....It can be difficult to achieve compliance (and expensive)...The parking places have to be within a 2% slope, there are "path of travel" requirements, etc.

In my experience, the ADA stuff if probably the second biggest impediment to the installation of charging stations. The biggest item is the view by property owners that they are losing parking places in their lots with dedicated EV charging spaces.

I believe that Tesla gets around that concern by leasing spaces from the property owners when necessary.
Is it because the parking is not parking for a business, but strictly for the supercharger itself? You're not REALLY parking, but fueling the car. There's no issue of being close to an entrance, or having a wheel chair friendly path to it. So long as there's easy access to go around the car, and the cable is accessible, I'm not sure what a dedicated space would be good for.

And another 8 charging spots...

http://insideevs.com/tesla-adds-8-unit-supercharger-station-along-i-5-in-burlington-washington-to-enable-free-travel-between-portland-seattle-and-vancouver/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This one, located along I-5 in Burlington, Washington, enables Model S owners to “now travel for free between Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver,” says Tesla.
i5-supercharger-550x303.jpg

I just finished listening to this video. Long but very good.

Streaming Video From TESLIVE – Tesla Motor’s Club First Ever Annual Conference
http://insideevs.com/streaming-video-from-teslive-tesla-motors-club-first-ever-annual-conference/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the end they mentioned this supercharging station going from 4 to [12] chargings stations! The are monitoring usage and adjusting as needed.
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/gilroy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the site above: "Summer 2013 - 8 additional charging stalls"

scottf200 said:
At the end they mentioned this supercharging station going from 4 to [12] chargings stations! The are monitoring usage and adjusting as needed.
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/gilroy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From the site above: "Summer 2013 - 8 additional charging stalls"
Gilroy is very busy as it's the gateway to southern California while still being close enough to the Bay Area and located in a big shopping mall that many people like to visit.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't end up having to expand it again.

It seems that they are aiming for 8 plugs as a "standard" install. It seems they only install fewer when space prevents it, and then they end up with two separate locations close together (see a couple installs in the north east).

Any way, it's a killer strategy. It's tough enough to get a single CHAdeMO installed and I'm not aware of any location with more than one independent CHAdeMO in a single location (Blinks don't count since each plug can't charge at the same time - speaking of Blink - does it bother anyone else that even Tesla's Superchargers are far less gaudy than Blink's? I bet that Tesla could build a killer CHAdeMO charger array for a fraction of the cost of what anyone else builds)

GRA said:
From insideevs.com:

"Tech Crunch: What It Takes To Be A Tesla Supercharger Partner"

http://insideevs.com/tech-crunch-what-it-takes-to-be-a-tesla-supercharger-partner/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

according to documents posted at Seattle FB group, the land in Centrailia was bought by Tesla

drees said:
.....and I'm not aware of any location with more than one independent CHAdeMO in a single location ...
FYI, apparently all it takes is private ownership. Here are four CHAdeMO DCQCs on Maui:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14207-Tesla-CHAdeMo-Update/page2?p=318390&viewfull=1#post318390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nissan of the Eastside in Bellevue WA
Reddy said:
drees said:
.....and I'm not aware of any location with more than one independent CHAdeMO in a single location ...
FYI, apparently all it takes is private ownership. Here are four CHAdeMO DCQCs on Maui:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/14207-Tesla-CHAdeMo-Update/page2?p=318390&viewfull=1#post318390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nissan of the Eastside in Bellevue WA
Reddy said:
drees said:

They have one Blink CHAdeMO charger with two nozzles (as they all are).

Tesla just opened their first Texas Supercharger station in San Marcos, with five stalls:

http://insideevs.com/tesla-opens-first-supercharger-station-in-texas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also recently put a four stall Supercharger in at the factory in Fremont, although I can't see any great need for one there barring testing on their track:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_23879834/tesla-adds-east-bays-only-supercharger-station-at" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gilroy is more than close enough to Vacaville and Santa Rosa, where they've talked about installing SCs. Maybe it was a case of 'we own the land, we've got the juice, we might as well'. I would rather they put one in on I-80 east of Sacramento first, or else on I-5 North. But as long as they're on pace to finish their initial 27 on time (plus Fremont), good for them. They've got a month to go for the remaining ten.

TonyWilliams said:
Reddy said:
drees said:

They have one Blink CHAdeMO charger with two nozzles (as they all are).

The Blink is the "public" charger and located outside the security fence. the other charger is "business use only" and inside the security fence.

GRA said:
I would rather they put one in on I-80 east of Sacramento first, or else on I-5 North.
I've heard, from unsubstantiated but trusted sources, that they may well do just that. Like, maybe at a large shopping mall just east of Sacramento off I-80. Ahem. No word on when though.

Randy said:
Drees,
I don't know why the Supercharger sites don't have to comply with ADA parking and striping requirements,

They don't here in California because cars with placards or plates can ignore restrictive parking rules. That is, any EV-charging-only space is effectively also a handicapped parking space, whether they're charging or not.

The current official advice (and I do remember reading this on the web somewhere, I just don't remember where) to property owners is that they need not designate parking that is both handicapped AND EV only.

GeekEV said:
GRA said:
I would rather they put one in on I-80 east of Sacramento first, or else on I-5 North.
I've heard, from unsubstantiated but trusted sources, that they may well do just that. Like, maybe at a large shopping mall just east of Sacramento off I-80. Ahem. No word on when though.

possibly at the new service center?

nsayer said:
Randy said:
Drees,
I don't know why the Supercharger sites don't have to comply with ADA parking and striping requirements,

They don't here in California because cars with placards or plates can ignore restrictive parking rules. That is, any EV-charging-only space is effectively also a handicapped parking space, whether they're charging or not.

The current official advice (and I do remember reading this on the web somewhere, I just don't remember where) to property owners is that they need not designate parking that is both handicapped AND EV only.

This is how they roll in San Diego.....

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/pdf/industry/tpolicy11b1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nsayer said:
Randy said:
Drees,
Interesting. I didn't know that!
palmermd said:
GeekEV said:
GRA said:
possibly at the new service center?
I think it would make sense for the service centers to also have one, but the site where (I've heard) that will be going doesn't have a lot else to do around there. The mall proper would be a much nicer location.

Randy said:
nsayer said:
Randy said:

This is how they roll in San Diego.....

http://www.sandiego.gov/development-services/pdf/industry/tpolicy11b1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting - I haven't seen any sites with the "This space designed for disabled access; use last" sign as noted there. All spots I've seen have simply installed a station in an existing accessible parking space.

Also, down on page 6, it clearly states that charging stations must have a minimum ratio of 1 / 25 accessible vs non-accessible spots - this requirement is state wide, not specific to San Diego.

So I still don't see how Tesla skirts this law.

La Mesa Springs is the only local site I can think of to implement a sign like this in one of their spots...

Attachments

• La_Mesa_Springs.jpg
    La_Mesa_Springs.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 60
drees said:
Also, down on page 6, it clearly states that charging stations must have a minimum ratio of 1 / 25 accessible vs non-accessible spots - this requirement is state wide, not specific to San Diego.

What is the purpose of handicapped spots?
I would suggest it is to give handicapped people easy access to a business.

If you consider the 'place of business' to be the mall, restaurant, etc located nearby, none of the quick chargers are located nearby, so one is as easy as another.
If you consider the supercharger itself to be a place of business, any of the supercharger spots are as close to a 'plug' as any of the others.

Zythryn said:
drees said:

What is the purpose of handicapped spots?
I would suggest it is to give handicapped people easy access to a business.

If you consider the 'place of business' to be the mall, restaurant, etc located nearby, none of the quick chargers are located nearby, so one is as easy as another.
If you consider the supercharger itself to be a place of business, any of the supercharger spots are as close to a 'plug' as any of the others.
All good points, but I haven't seen any Tesla Supercharger spots that are handicap accessible meaning the spot has a 36" path from the car to the supercharger. They are all normal spots that I've seen, except for some that just happen to be more accessible - it doesn't seem to be designed in.

drees said:
All good points, but I haven't seen any Tesla Supercharger spots that are handicap accessible meaning the spot has a 36" path from the car to the supercharger. They are all normal spots that I've seen, except for some that just happen to be more accessible - it doesn't seem to be designed in.
I guess it depends on how close you park. There's certainly plenty of room to exit the car and approach the charger:
tesla-to-create-100-strong-supercharger-fast-charging-network-in-us_1.jpg

Back