Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
I'd appreciate it if you didn't mis-classify my raising possible issues as belly-aching. These strike me as potential issues, that's all - I wasn't putting any value on them either way; just curious if they will be pass the cost-benefit analysis. It's exactly the kind of thing I (and any competent designer) wonder about when _any_ working system adds components that aren't strictly necessary - is this a net gain or loss?
Sorry, but it is belly-aching. You're clearly hear to berate BEVs at any possible opportunity. Tesla makes a nice product improvement to their supercharger design and you raise concerns about reliability and siting(??). Yet, you have never made a peep about any reliability concerns you may have regarding the HIGH-POWER, MISSION-CRITICAL, REFRIGERATION SYSTEM required to compress H2 into FCEVs without the tank melting. Sorry, but this kind of posting is more than a bit disingenuous.
Sorry you see it that way, but you are quite wrong. I have done plenty of research on the failure modes and problems of H2, and have discussed them in that thread and elsewhere at length. But I know that H2 lags the development cycle of BEVs by about five years, so consider most comments about the shortcomings premature and/or irrelevant to what the fully-developed system will be (must be, if it is to succeed). Besides, I regard the whole business model of H2 fueling as having far more kinship to gas stations than to quick charging stations, so the potential failure areas are very different. Once H2 reaches the same stage of development and infrastructure as BEVs (and their infrastructure) are now, I'll be a lot more critical of operational failures and shortcomings. Now, it's just a waste of time; I acknowledge the problems, state what I think needs to be done to fix them and monitor as many sources as I can to see if they are being fixed (to take an example, way back I mentioned accurate metering of H2 as dispensed as one such issue, which has now been provided).

As to being here to _berate_ BEVs at every opportunity, oh, come on! What, are you going to be the latest to call me an anti-EV troll? On average someone does so about once a year, so I guess I'm due. As I've said on numerous occasions, I'm technology neutral; I have less concern about _how_ we electrify transportation and get off fossil fuels than that we do so, and will happily use whichever method suits my needs best. For reasons I've given in the H2 thread, at the moment H2 comes closest to doing so, and that's the extent of my 'bias' towards it. If BEVs can do what I need them to do at the same or lower cost as FCVs when the time comes for me to replace my current car (assuming I don't need to get a PHEV in the interim), I'll happily choose the more energy efficient option.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
As to H2 fueling stations, we have no disagreement that they (and H2) aren't affordable now, in fact I've said repeatedly in that thread and elsewhere that unless the prices can be got down to equal or less than gas, H2 won't be a viable fuel. Why do you think I post all those links in the H2 topic to R&D aimed at doing just that? Where you get the idea that I believe that the cost isn't currently excessive, I have no idea.
The point is that when improvements are made to BEV technology, you disparage it.
No. To take this particular case as an example, I asked whether the improved cord handling (and hopefully lower cost) will prove to be an improvement overall on cost and reliability grounds, and mentioned a few points that occur to me. That's not disparagement. If it proves out, great, if not they know they've got something that works without it. I save my disparagement for decisions like the Falcon Wing doors, the initial transcontinental SC route, Nissan's doing without a TMS and their handling of the degradation issue, the i3's crippled REx, etc.

RegGuheert said:
When improvements are made to H2 technology, you praise it.
If by 'praise' you mean I mention and discuss it, and comment on whether I think it is or will be be an improvement or not, well, I guess by that definition I do praise it. But how do you reconcile that with my frequent reiteration of the point that H2 isn't commercially viable now, and won't be for some years without major improvement in costs? If I were an H2 fan boy I'd be saying all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds, it's ready for prime time and ICEs and BEVs are doomed, today. Have I ever made any such ridiculous claims (unlike many BEV fanboys in this and other BEV forums, who make such claims for BEVs on a regular basis, although the frequency has dropped off some over the past few years as greater experience has been acquired and reality has intruded)?

RegGuheert said:
As has been pointed out many times your praise for H2 is misguided since there CAN NEVER BE A CROSSOVER POINT IN TERMS OF EFFICIENCY. I know you believe that convenience trumps efficiency, but that's only true when there is plenty of cheap energy sloshing around in the system. But we will not be there with renewable sources for many decades to come, if ever. In this case, efficiency (combined energy and resource efficiency) trumps everything.
Reg, if efficiency trumped everything, you and the majority of Americans wouldn't be living in detached single family homes and driving cars to work with only yourself in them. The U.S. isn't the rest of the world, but I fully agree that H2 has a tougher row to hoe financially in this country than in others.

RegGuheert said:
Tesla just made a very nice product improvement to their supercharger network which will likely reduce overall costs and resource consumption while simultaneously providing the customer with a better experience and likely improving reliability and lowering servicing costs. You can try to drum up imagined downsides if you like, but don't expect your lopsided attacks on BEVs to go unchallenged in this BEV-focused forum.
Tesla has made a product improved in one area (handling), and potentially in another (increased power handling capability). We don't yet have any data about the effect on overall costs or reliability; that is certainly Tesla's hope, and I wish them well. The potential downsides are real; the fact that I muse about them doesn't indicate any bias against them on my part, just a reasonable concern as to whether the added complexity will pan out. While my basic attitude is to leave out anything that isn't essential, if that additional piece provides improved capability the addition may well be worth it, as in the case of TMS/no-TMS, where I (currently) come down firmly on the side of additional complexity/cooling.

mbender said:
RegGuheert said:
Sorry, but it is belly-aching. You're clearly here to berate BEVs at any possible opportunity.
[...]
I know you believe that convenience trumps efficiency,
And actually, what could be more inconvenient than having to drive X miles just to get a fill-up? (Also to mention immediately losing X miles right off the top coming back from the station.)

Plus, arguably, having to wait 5-10 minutes at the pump might also be considered an inconvenience, even if the million-dollar station happens to be on one's way. With the superchargers, one can plug in and walk away... most likely for a nice meal, a little bit of exercise and rest for 3 hours of driving.

I just continue to fail to see the attraction or benefit of H2 for passenger vehicles, and I have tried.

On the flip side, I love seeing the growth of (and improvements to) Tesla's supercharger network. I just hope that one of these {time periods}, we'll see Nissan and/or other manufacturers join in and multiply its value many times over. But I'm not holding my breath. :-|
I lost a longer version, so this will have to do. Most of the world doesn't live like the majority of the U.S. does, in detached single family homes with a garage; the majority live in multi-unit housing and park on the street. Even in the U.S., only about 56% of households can charge at home, so any convenience of home charging doesn't apply for the remaining 44%. Tesla isn't building SCs in dense urban areas in Europe and Asia because they want to (indeed, doing so calls the SC financial model into question), but because the cars are unusable if they don't, until such time as numerous parking spaces can be provided with L2 charging. Given that it took around 50 years from the time Edison turned on the Pearl Street station in 1882 to when 90% of U.S. urban households had electricity (rural America didn't reach that level for another couple of decades, largely thanks to the REA), it's clear that home charging isn't likely to be an option for most of the world's urban population for decades, if ever.

I believe that companies like Toyota recognize this, and also realize that the car market in the developed world is fully mature and has largely reached saturation level, i.e. sales are at replacement-level only. Sales growth can only come from the developing countries like China and the other BRICS. Central, rapid-fueling pay-at-the-pump stations take up less expensive real estate, can be used by anyone (universal connectors) and owing to high turnover can ad additional capacity far more quickly than wiring/re-wiring multiple parking spaces. This is the case with gas stations, and (assuming the economic issues can be fixed) will also be the case with H2.

I expect we'll see H2 succeed earlier in Europe and other areas with high gas taxes and lots of people living in multi-unit housing, simply because the economic break-even will occur earlier (if at all) there, and because central refueling fits the housing situation better. In the U.S., with our low gas prices and low density housing, I expect it to take longer. Anyway, since H2 has been discussed to death in that thread there's no reason to repeat all that here.

GRA said:
Assuming they use a circulating pump, I'd be interested to know if they use the same or a separate pump to circulate the cable-cooling liquid as the SC electronics (BTW, do you know if it's just water, or is there some anti-freeze component also), and did they need to add any fans?

If I were designing it, I would absolutley use a single loop of coolant, pressurized, and with an appropriate antifreeze / anti-boil / corrosion resistant fluid like G48 or Dextron... the same stuff used in Tesla cars. Nobody uses just water for this type of application.

The idea that poorly designed, air cooled Nissan / Sumitomo chargers that overheat having any bearing whatsoever on expertly designed and built Tesla Sulerchargers with liquid cooling is just nutty talk. There's no association.

If a Harley leaks oil and is loud, do all motorcycles have this affliction?

The radiator on the Supercharger already has a big fan. They won't add another. The only modification that I could envision is a slightly larger radiator to handle the additional heat energy.

TonyWilliams said:
The only modification that I could envision is a slightly larger radiator to handle the additional heat energy.
I'm not convinced there is any additional heat energy. I suspect (without any evidence) that this improvement is part of an overall redesign of the stations that also includes efficiency enhancements to the power stage of the charger to improve reliability and efficiency. If I am correct, it is likely that the overall heat load (at a given level of power delivered to the vehicle) may have gone down rather than up.

RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
The only modification that I could envision is a slightly larger radiator to handle the additional heat energy.
I'm not convinced there is any additional heat energy. I suspect (without any evidence) that this improvement is part of an overall redesign of the stations that also includes efficiency enhancements to the power stage of the charger to improve reliability and efficiency. If I am correct, it is likely that the overall heat load (at a given level of power delivered to the vehicle) may have gone down rather than up.

Certainly an entirely rational thought, but remember that it's the same 10kW charger modules used in the cars. So, any improvement will likely be a positive for the cars, too.

TonyWilliams said:
Certainly an entirely rational thought, but remember that it's the same 10kW charger modules used in the cars. So, any improvement will likely be a positive for the cars, too.
I didn't know that. I would have expected the superchargers to use 480VAC 3-phase chargers wherever that is available. Running from 208/240VAC single-phase would have to result in a lower-efficiency solution.

But I can certainly understand them wanting to take advantage of the benefits of volume afforded by using the car chargers.

RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:
I didn't know that. I would have expected the superchargers to use 480VAC 3-phase chargers wherever that is available. Running from 208/240VAC single-phase would have to result in a lower-efficiency solution.

But I can certainly understand them wanting to take advantage of the benefits of volume afforded by using the car chargers.

They use the same charger in sets of three (one on each phase). The original superchargers had three sets of three for 90kw. Newer sites have 4 or 5 sets of three for 120kw and 150kw capability.

palmermd said:
They use the same charger in sets of three (one on each phase). The original superchargers had three sets of three for 90kw. Newer sites have 4 or 5 sets of three for 120kw and 150kw capability.
Thanks! Still, each unit is run from 208VAC single-phase. The result is lower efficiency compared with 480VAC 3-phase. The difference may not be insignificant, either. At 480VAC 3-phase, power-stage electrical efficiencies (not including pumps, etc.) up to ~98% are achievable with today's technology. At 208VAC one-phase, you might be able to get to ~96%. Both are very good efficiencies, but at very high power levels, doubling the loss can make a big difference.

Certainly improving the efficiency and reliability of these units has to be an ongoing project for Tesla.

The SJC installation here in San Diego is fed with a 480/277 3-phase service, and there are no other transformers being used...

All the superchargers in USA and Europe are on 380/400/480 volts three phase, with 230/240/277 volts per phase to neutral / ground.

Yes, the charger in my 4 Tesla powered cars can use 277 volts.

Randy said:
The SJC installation here in San Diego is fed with a 480/277 3-phase service, and there are no other transformers being used...
Thanks, Randy! I wonder if the Tesla chargers can handle voltages all the way up to 277VAC (plus tolerance).

TonyWilliams said:
Yes. It's printed right on it.
Thanks! (I hadn't yet seen your post right before mine when I posted.) Pretty cool.

Depending on the topology, the chargers *may* become more efficient at the higher voltages.

TonyWilliams said:
RegGuheert said:
TonyWilliams said:

The presence of new vents on the pedestals would indicate that they've got to get rid of more rather than less heat. But perhaps that is due to a planned future increase in max. power output, although that would require changes to more than just the pedestals. IIRR, the current gen. SC cabinets are rated at 150kW in/135kW out, so maybe this is the first stage towards a higher-rated SC. It's pretty much all speculation at this point, beyond the obvious improvement in cord handling.

GRA said:
The presence of new vents on the pedestals would indicate that they've got to get rid of more rather than less heat.
Not necessarily. It may mean that they have decided to run the equipment at a lower temperature.

I think the liquid cooled cables and possibly future liquid cooled plugs (like welding equipment) are the prelude to slapping another three charger modules in the Supercharger... 120kW to 150kW, and maybe 165kW.

90kW = 9 of the 10kW chargers, at 277 volts / 36 amps
120kW = 12 of the 10kW chargers, at 277 volts / 36 amps
135kW = 12 of the 10kW chargers, at 277 volts / 40 amps
150kW = 15 of the 10kW chargers, at 277 volts / 36 amps
165kW = 15 of the 10kW chargers, at 277 volts / 40 amps

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:
Assuming they use a circulating pump, I'd be interested to know if they use the same or a separate pump to circulate the cable-cooling liquid as the SC electronics (BTW, do you know if it's just water, or is there some anti-freeze component also), and did they need to add any fans?
If I were designing it, I would absolutley use a single loop of coolant, pressurized, and with an appropriate antifreeze / anti-boil / corrosion resistant fluid like G48 or Dextron... the same stuff used in Tesla cars. Nobody uses just water for this type of application.

The idea that poorly designed, air cooled Nissan / Sumitomo chargers that overheat having any bearing whatsoever on expertly designed and built Tesla Sulerchargers with liquid cooling is just nutty talk. There's no association.

If a Harley leaks oil and is loud, do all motorcycles have this affliction?

The radiator on the Supercharger already has a big fan. They won't add another. The only modification that I could envision is a slightly larger radiator to handle the additional heat energy.
You mean like expertly-designed Tesla door handle actuation, or FTM expertly-designed Tesla powertrains installed in RAV4s? ;) Or how about that expertly-designed SC site in, I think it was Inyokern but it might have been Lone Pine or Mojave? You know, the one that wasn't fully operational for something like a month after completion, because the concrete parking bumpers were too high (hit and damaged air dams, and forced people to park too far away from the pedestals for the cord to reach without stress), and Tesla had to send out crews to grind the bumpers down to provide clearance; in fact, they had to send a crew out a second time to grind it down further. Before the first time, did they not measure the cars loaded to their GVWR with allowances for both production tolerances and wear?

Tesla has good engineers, but that doesn't mean that they foresee all possible failures or never make mistakes. One hopes that the parking bumper height has now been incorporated into the standard SC site design requirements, and that the minimum clearance height has also been included as standard in future car designs, so they don't have to go through it again. That way they get to make brand-new mistakes, instead of repeating old ones.

As of 6/11/15, San Diego, CA (first use 6/8) with 12 stalls is listed and mapped. Total U.S. SCs now 43/191/1,280.

Current list showing all U.S. and Canadian SCs open as of 1/1/15 and subsequent, and full list showing all SCs open from 1/14, can be found here:

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9111&start=810

Site with a map showing all SCs open, under construction or permitted plus lots of other stuff can be found here:

http://supercharge.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back