Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luft said:
For people who can afford to purchase a Tesla Model S will be able to use Tesla's DC Supercharger stations for free!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/...-quick-charge-network-for-model-s-owners.html

Is it practical to build a CHAdeMO adapter to access these solar powered charging stations?

That's only for the 85kWh battery size Model S. The Tesla DC charger does not work at all on a Roadster, or Model S with 40kWh battery. On the 60kWh size, you have to pay an additional $2000, plus a per use charging fee (I think).

No, it's not "practical" to make a Chademo adapter, although the Model S does come with J1772-2009 adapter.

But Model S comes with a J1772 adapter, so be prepared to see them in spots you might otherwise use with your LEAF.

I wonder if they will do a CHAdeMO adatper so Model S can use those?

No offense to us LEAF drivers, but I don't think Tesla ever planned on putting in those super charging stations for the masses to use. I believe they are meant as an exclusive tool for Model S owners to use when taking long trips, and will be used as a sales tool to differentiate themselves from the competition. Plus, the solar arrays were sized and designed to provide positive net flow back to the grid with a modest amount of charging from Model S owners...

The last thing a Model S owner (or Tesla) wants is to pull up to a supercharger site and see 5 LEAFs jockeying for a charging position...

DaveinOlyWA said:
Luft said:
For people who can afford to purchase a Tesla Model S will be able to use Tesla's DC Supercharger stations for free!

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/...-quick-charge-network-for-model-s-owners.html

Is it practical to build a CHAdeMO adapter to access these solar powered charging stations?

read another story that Tesla is strongly recommending a maintenance plan costing $600 a year. great way to pay for those charging stations!

I read the story about their pre-paid maintenance pricing...It's higher than many want to see, but Tesla is not a Nissan, they don't have an established dealer network to take care of customers. So Tesla has to set up service outlets in a few strategically placed cities, and it won't be cheap to run them. The rangers will be servicing many out of the way vehicles as well. So I completely understand why they priced it the way they did...And I would guess they're still going to lose money on the service until they sell a lot more cars...

Charging is free for both 85kWh and 60kWh models, except in the the 60kWh model it costs $2k more to have the super charger enabled. That model comes with the supercharger hardware by default but costs $2k of the buyer wants to use the service which is unlimited and free.

TonyWilliams said:
That's only for the 85kWh battery size Model S. The Tesla DC charger does not work at all on a Roadster, or Model S with 40kWh battery. On the 60kWh size, you have to pay an additional $2000, plus a per use charging fee (I think).
Yep on all of the above, although I'm unclear about the per use fee on the 60 kwh models. But yeah, they did change the Supercharging hardware on the 60 kwh model at http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from included to a $2000 option a few days after the press conference/announcement.

Since someone brought up the $600 annual maintenance, more info at http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/transforming-automotive-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

mkjayakumar said:
Charging is free for both 85kWh and 60kWh models, except in the the 60kWh model it costs $2k more to have the super charger enabled. That model comes with the supercharger hardware by default but costs $2k of the buyer wants to use the service which is unlimited and free.

i read an article somewhere written by a 60 Kwh reservation holder who stated that Tesla due to some sort of misleading communication, was waiving the fees.

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

i read an article somewhere written by a 60 Kwh reservation holder who stated that Tesla due to some sort of misleading communication, was waiving the fees.

For current deposit holders. If I slapped down a $5000 deposit for a 60kWh today, it would cost $2000 for "free" power.

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

There was some discussion of this already at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=232500#p232500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I think this thread should be merged with that or http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

mwalsh said:
Tesla is going to tell any non-Telsa owner to piss-off, in no uncertain terms. The only way we'd be able to get access, even with an adapter, is to storm the site and liberate the charger.

CHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!! (Ed runs into the Tesla plant to take control of the charger)

Hey....wait a minute.

Where is everyone else????? ( Ed should have planned this better)

Ed runs away......... :lol:

cwerdna said:
I think this thread should be merged with that or http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
MOD NOTE: Redundant Tesla Supercharger threads merged.

etracing said:
CHAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!! (Ed runs into the Tesla plant to take control of the charger)
Hey....wait a minute.
Where is everyone else????? ( Ed should have planned this better)
Ed runs away.........

Yes, LOL !!!
Reminded me of this old commercial:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKW4M3DFwDI[/youtube]

Well, I already made the case as to why Tesla's PR stunt with locking Superchargers out of common public use is one huge, gaping, massive, and jaw-dropping "F**k-you" to other EV owners, putting a huge wedge between Tesla and non-Tesla EV owners in the slow-and-frustrating deployment of necessary fast-chargers...

There's never any technological reason a charger capable of charging one lithium battery couldn't have an emulated-interface adapter installed to make the Supercharger "think" it's talking to a Model S, but actually pumping power into a LEAF's CHAdeMO port.

That just requires two things:
1) knowledge of the CHAdeMO protocol
2) knowledge of the Tesla protocol

Just like what's been done with the Open-EVSE project.

Then, build a mechanism that presents a Tesla on one side (that plugs into the cable), passes the raw DC contacts through to the LEAF, and emulates a CHAdeMO unit to the LEAF's interface. The emulator-adapter would basically just be a cable/unit with a QC plug on one end and a Tesla socket on the other, with a box in the middle handling the interface.

So, the question is, are those protocols known yet?

I would be totally OK with that. The network is the best one out there, planned as unique targeted stations instead of installed by existing property owners as it becomes convenient for them (not necessarily EV drivers). I would gladly pay a few hundred bucks for that adapter, passed along as a licensing fee to Tesla, or a cheap adapter with a subscription to maintain for that privilege. I don't expect - I've NEVER expected - free energy for my car. Everything comes at a price, and Tesla's price is the infrastructure cost put into supporting THEIR cars. I'd gladly give them a little kick-back to help it support other EV drivers!

Or, hell, Tesla could just install a high-priced ChargePoint DC fast-charger at each one as well as the Tesla stations. Seriously. Tesla just needs to give other EVers some love. I'd gladly pay for the privilege.

Back