The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
takoyaki said:
I have a 2011 SL and recently got Leaf Spy Pro to get the AHr.
It's at 9bars 44.75ahr now and I'm at 53.5k miles and till July.
We're in the SF bay area.

What are my chances of getting down to 4BL before my time's up?
If so, any suggestions to secure my chances?

Thanks!

I was in the same situation last year and was very sure I would lose the 4th bar before reaching 60,000, so continued to use the car. Of course, the 4th bar dropped at 60,500 miles and Nissan won't replace the battery for me, even though the AHr did not change appreciably at 59,000 miles to 60,500 miles. I think there are many factors that affect the 4th bar loss and one of them is time - i.e. the bar won't drop for a certain number of days even though the capacity has already been reduced. So I'd park the car and put as few miles on it as possible. Have it towed to the central valley and park it in the sun all summer long.

I was in the same situation last year and was very sure I would lose the 4th bar before reaching 60,000, so continued to use the car. Of course, the 4th bar dropped at 60,500 miles and Nissan won't replace the battery for me, even though the AHr did not change appreciably at 59,000 miles to 60,500 miles. I think there are many factors that affect the 4th bar loss and one of them is time - i.e. the bar won't drop for a certain number of days even though the capacity has already been reduced. So I'd park the car and put as few miles on it as possible. Have it towed to the central valley and park it in the sun all summer long.

Thanks for the insight, and sorry to hear that. Can you share what your progressions of AHr/miles so I can keep a tab? I may start using QC regularly depending on the progressions we see.

Took my 2011 LEAF in this morning for the battery certification. Lost my 9th bar a couple of months ago.

Service manager ordered the replacement battery. Delivery time six to eight weeks.

LEAFStat data:

177 GIDs
13.72 kWh
95.20 SOC
62.37 SOH
41.67 Hx
41.32 Ahr
57.7 Temp

Mileage - 29,987

I'll post before and after stats after new battery is installed.

Update from November 2015. Around Thanksgiving I was given a time frame of 4 to 6 weeks for the battery to arrive. Got a call on Friday 1/8/2016 that it is in. Dropped off the car on Monday 1/11. I was told it will be one day operation. This time they gave me a loaner car for free. Called at the end of the day for status. Was told they were almost done but will need another day. So called Tuesday 1/12. Not done. They need a part because 2015 battery and 2011 car don't match. They will need a couple of days for the part to arrive. Interesting they needed 3 days to figure that out when I read about that here already. Anyway, called on Thursday 1/14. Was told that it was almost done, battery was on the pellet (??), should be done that day but to be safe wanted another day. They called back Friday 1/14, said car was ready, picked it up, showed 111 miles. Minor peeves - messed up the clock in the dash (it is 7 hrs ahead), and one touch up is gone from driver side window. But the way we are looking at it, it is almost a brand new car. Hopefully I will be able to drive it for a long time.

Once again, thanks to the posters with input when I had questions.

The auto close on the window is easy. Just roll the window down, then roll it up, keeping the switch pulled for several seconds after the window is up. That re-calibrates and gets the system to re-enable the feature. Yes, the dealer should have known to do that for you.

My battery was ordered on December 1st and I just got a call from the dealer this morning that they are ready and it's in hand. Time to schedule an appointment for replacement. So that makes it about 6 and a half weeks since ordered. I got the car back from the dealer today 1/20/16. Woohoo! Brand new traction battery! I now have 2 lizard cars with 12 bars. One has a year on it already and will probably lose 2 bars this summer.

Evoforce said:
It is nice to be back to full capacity. (8 bar car) is now Leaf 1. I will be posting stats in the appropriate thread. Now it will be lizard to lizard comparisons.

Will be looking for those...especially since you're in AZ.

Stanton said:
Evoforce said:
It is nice to be back to full capacity. (8 bar car) is now Leaf 1. I will be posting stats in the appropriate thread. Now it will be lizard to lizard comparisons.

Thanks! I'm hoping the new lizard (leaf 2) does much better. I can dream can't I?

Evoforce said:
Stanton said:
Evoforce said:

Thanks! I'm hoping the new lizard (leaf 2) does much better. I can dream can't I?
I take it leaf 1 actually had the battery replaced 1/20/2016, not 2015? Check your signature. ;)

Firetruck41 said:
Evoforce said:
Stanton said:

I take it leaf 1 actually had the battery replaced 1/20/2016, not 2015? Check your signature. ;)

Oops! Thanks for the keen eye! My brain hasn't caught up to the new year yet obviously.

My 2012 LEAF lost the second bar not long ago and I'm still hoping to lose the next two before November (whatever it takes...) My SOH actually went up from 78% to 79% but my energy capacity decreased from 17 kWh to 15.8 kWh (73%) in the last couple of weeks.

My latest AHr is 51.86 which would put me at around 78% SOH. Why the discrepancy and is AHr really the only reliable measure to look at the state of the battery?

cracovian said:
My 2012 LEAF lost the second bar not long ago and I'm still hoping to lose the next two before November (whatever it takes...) My SOH actually went up from 78% to 79% but my energy capacity decreased from 17 kWh to 15.8 kWh (73%) in the last couple of weeks.

My latest AHr is 51.86 which would put me at around 78% SOH. Why the discrepancy and is AHr really the only reliable measure to look at the state of the battery?

Not to "rain on your parade", but I don't think there is any way you're going to drop ~10 Ahr of capacity in the next 10 months. You could probably leave it parked in an oven and still not make it. Nobody knows the exact trigger, but there appears to be some "soak time" involved once you get past 43 AHr or so (and you're still a long way from that).

Stanton said:
cracovian said:

Not to "rain on your parade", but I don't think there is any way you're going to drop ~10 Ahr of capacity in the next 10 months. You could probably leave it parked in an oven and still not make it. Nobody knows the exact trigger, but there appears to be some "soak time" involved once you get past 43 AHr or so (and you're still a long way from that).

+1

Even in the Arizona climate, we are losing around 1% SOH per month and it would take 12-15ish months to be close to 8 bars in AZ.

Have not visited this great forum for awhile, so I may be not well informed of recent Nissan updates and announcements, so I would appreciate if you bring me more up to date. I am sure i am not the only one in the same shoes.

Basically I have 59,850 miles and 4 weeks till 60 months since I purchased 2011 Leaf. Lost 3rd bar last summer. The car performs great, 0 issues, besides the driving distance loss. At around 4.0 miles/kWh, and 100% charge, I am now getting the "very low" warning after less than 60 miles of driving :(

What are my options? Like...

-Is the 100$ per month extra warranty program still in place? At what point do I have to sign up to it?
-Hypothetically speaking if I loose a 4th bar before my 60 months/60k miles, is Nissan going to install a brand new battery for free? Or are they going to install just marginally better used battery?
-Is there official new pack purchase option. What is a price with labor included?
-Are there any after-market proven replacement options?
-Is there an option to buy the newer 30kwh pack?

jason98 said:
Have not visited this great forum for awhile, so I may be not well informed of recent Nissan updates and announcements, so I would appreciate if you bring me more up to date. I am sure i am not the only one in the same shoes.

Basically I have 59,850 miles and 4 weeks till 60 months since I purchased 2011 Leaf. Lost 3rd bar last summer. The car performs great, 0 issues, besides the driving distance loss. At around 4.0 miles/kWh, and 100% charge, I am now getting the "very low" warning after less than 60 miles of driving :(

What are my options? Like...

-Is the 100$ per month extra warranty program still in place? At what point do I have to sign up to it?
-Hypothetically speaking if I loose a 4th bar before my 60 months/60k miles, is Nissan going to install a brand new battery for free? Or are they going to install just marginally better used battery?
-Is there official new pack purchase option. What is a price with labor included?

No one can answer your question about if you will lose the 4th bar in 4 weeks or 150 miles because you have not provided any Leafspy numbers or what climate you reside in. On the surface it would seem that you are not going to qualify for a free replacement battery. A 24kWh battery costs around $6,100 including labor with exchange of your old battery. They are not offering the 30kWh battery as a replacement at this time. The new lizard (24kWh) batteries are not more durable in hotter climates. It is my opinion that you can expect the same performance from the new as the old one over time.

jason98 said:

The $100 per month never was, it was just an idea being floated.
I believe the new settlement says the battery must be replaced with new, not used.
While there is a posted new battery price, when Steve (highest millage US LEAF) talked
to dealers in the area they all offered a lower price, I vaguely remember that one
was $4700. There is no after market battery, and with cost of factory(at least 1 billion), may not be fora very long time.
I looked at pictures of connectors on the different batteries.
2011-2012 single connector
2013-2015 2 connectors different size
2016 2 connectors same size
An adapter kit exists for 2011-2012 to 2013-2015, but no kit to a 2016.

Evoforce said:
No one can answer your question about if you will lose the 4th bar in 4 weeks or 150 miles because you have not provided any Leafspy numbers or what climate you reside in. On the surface it would seem that you are not going to qualify for a free replacement battery.
Agreed on all of the above.
jason98 said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13331 appears dead, after the very negative feedback.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.
jason98 said:
For you, they'll be installing a new one, if you meet the capacity warranty requirements.
jason98 said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168
jason98 said:
Not that I know of.
jason98 said:
No.

Evoforce said:
No one can answer your question about if you will lose the 4th bar in 4 weeks or 150 miles because you have not provided any Leafspy numbers or what climate you reside in.

I am in Bay Area. So it looks like my first action item should be... stop driving and get Leafspy asap.
I will post once I have an update.

Back