The official "I got my Leaf off a lot" (no waiting) thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danal

With the greatest respect and apologies to those who waited for months before getting a car...

With even greater apology to anyone who is still waiting...

I was able to buy a 2011 Leaf directly "off the lot" today, Saturday October 30 2011. I walked up to a dealership and drove away in the car as quickly as we could do the paperwork. This was at Bankston Nissan of Lewisville TX. I am seeing Leafs turn up on cars.com at dealers all over the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, Houston, Austin, and more.

Not only that, I bought a demo at a below sticker price. In my telephone calling the day or two before I bought the car, I discovered that some dealers are not aware that the allocation days are ending, and they are still attempting to mark up in various ways. Everything from just flat over-sticker to the oldest games in the book, such as "paint and fabric protectorant" and similar scams.

Anyway, it is now becoming possible to buy a Leaf from an "in stock" situation, and negotiate a deal.

Who else has managed to buy "off the lot", no waiting?

Danal said:
In my telephone calling the day or two before I bought the car, I discovered that some dealers are not aware that the allocation days are ending, and they are still attempting to mark up in various ways.
Are you saying that dealers no longer are limited with smaller allocation and can get as many as they can sell now? That's the first I've heard of such thing. I know earlier in the year, that's the case, but I thought around summer time when Tier2 is opened up, dealers began to be bound by limited allocation. That's why it became harder to get below MSRP discount anymore.

Bought my mine similar to you. dealer had a demo but couldnt sell it was his only Leaf. then Got an orphan, and then he could sell off is lot. So i got it 1000.00 off sticker. walked in , drove out. very nice indeed.

Volusiano said:
Danal said:
In my telephone calling the day or two before I bought the car, I discovered that some dealers are not aware that the allocation days are ending, and they are still attempting to mark up in various ways.
Are you saying that dealers no longer are limited with smaller allocation and can get as many as they can sell now? That's the first I've heard of such thing. I know earlier in the year, that's the case, but I thought around summer time when Tier2 is opened up, dealers began to be bound by limited allocation. That's why it became harder to get below MSRP discount anymore.

Not quite that open. Bad phrasing on my part to use the word 'allocation', I have no knowledge about that, either way.

I'm just saying that there are cars beginning to be immediately available. Lewisville has a White 2011 SL that somebody ordered and backed out, available right now. No high speed charge port on that one, though. There are a several more White or Blue spread around DFW, available now. Maybe as many a six, as of Friday, all SLs with HS charge. Search on cars.com and then call.

I found two red (with high speed) in Austin and one in Houston, OK for purchase, via calling last Friday. And even just a few "available now" in a given geography should put pressure on the over sticker deals.

Yes, Houston or Austin is out of range for LEAF drive to DFW. But a uHaul flatbed is only $120 or so, one way, if you have something to pull it ( a Titan, in my case ). Plus the cost of that antiquated "Gasoline" stuff, of course.

There is already a thread on this topic and many more.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EVDRIVER said:
There is already a thread on this topic and many more.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. I searched, but did not find.

Also, that thread seems a little different. It seems to discuss theory about orphaned cars. This thread is focused on those who've actually purchased off a lot. In less than 48 hours, we've had two.

Who else bought off the lot?

Our 2011 SL was purchased "Off The Lot" from a dealer near Kansas City...

We found the car on eBay and ultimately dealt with the dealer directly... It was a new car that had been used to demonstrate EV to local power utility folks. It had a few hundred miles on it, but was still "new"...

The dealer we got it from didn't even have a L2 charger on site...

We found and purchased the vehicle in about 36hrs... Drove down and trailered the vehicle back to Des Moines, IA.

It is a FANTASTIC car!!!!!!!

Our second one is on order [wait, wait, wait]

Adopted my Leaf today in Knoxville, TN. Brought it to it's new home in Charleston, SC. Put 65 miles on it when I got back, had a great time! Look forward to many more!

RandyDMFD said:
We found and purchased the vehicle in about 36hrs... Drove down and trailered the vehicle back to Des Moines, IA.
Must be the first person to own a Leaf in IA !

charlestonleafer said:
Adopted my Leaf today in Knoxville, TN. Brought it to it's new home in Charleston, SC. Put 65 miles on it when I got back, had a great time! Look forward to many more!
Congratulations!! Glad to hear the wait is over for you!

Just saw this thread. I adopted my orphan in May 2011 (actually received it June 2). For about 5 months, it was the only Leaf registered in Maryland. It is probably still the only 2011 as the Leafs just being delivered now are 2012 models. I bought it from Campbell Nelson Nissan in Edmund, WA and shipped it. Everything was done by email and fedex. I never went to WA. I paid over MSRP, but it worked out to about the same as the MSRP for the 2012, so I'm happy. Have just over 6300 miles on it with no problems.

Back