The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reddy, thanks for the links - That account of your trip out of the Tri-Cities was an account of bravery that I don't think I would attempt! I am going to try to go skiing at Stevens Pass, particularly now that they have Level 2 stations at the pass:
http://www.stevenspass.com/Stevens/SiteAssets/files/the-mountain/Electric%20Vehicle%20Chargers_InfoSheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Picked up our blue SL today in Concord CA. Ecstasy! Had to throw ourselves straight into the free charging fire - a 2 hour drive back to Salinas with no charge cards - a muse... Why is there a need for a card in the day of qr codes, pins, Passport, Google wallet, oh yeah... And credit cards - ok, more of a mini rant.

Anyway, stopped in S San Jose at the Santa Clara Water District chargers, practiced good charging etiquette, walked to Whole Foods, shopped, ate lunch, got my frozen yogurt in a waffle cone. Lot's to learn, but we are excited by our new adventure. Now to get from LA to Phoenix.

Zony

I picked up my Leaf on Nov 10, 2012. I was looking for an everyday car to replace my Nissan 370Z. I test drove several cars for my wife: Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid. She opted to keep our little Mazda so I test drive the Subaru WRX and finally the Nissan Leaf. I liked it a lot and ended up getting it.

I will tint the windows and I'm having the paint protection placed on the vehicle.

Range anxiety: It's for real. It's almost like driving on desert highway with a 1/4 tank of gas and no gas station in sight. You feather it. lol! First excursion out I had a hard time finding a recharge station. I finally settled on a level one charge at a free Chargepoint since I didn't have an account. It did leave me guessing on if I made the right decision. I downloaded the Plugshare app on my iPhone and it's a world of help.

The range o meter shows an approximate distance. You'll have to take the good circle and halve that for your return trip without recharge.

The Leaf will be my transporter to and from work. One way distance 33.8 miles. It will be nice to save on gas, maintenance. Plus the quiet ride is nice.

Guess I'll put this in the correct thread...

2012 Black SL, 12 miles on it when I picked her up.

Drove home 80 miles at 30 degrees, QC to 78% about half way, GOM showing 12 miles when I got off the interstate (2 bars) & my house is 12 miles from the interstate. Probably could have made it, but I went ahead & QC'd for 5 minutes just in case. Now, when are those Leafscan's going to be ready again?

Philip

I just leased my first Leaf (silver 2012 SL) yesterday. :D I live in Nashville and bought from Downtown Nashville Nissan. The lease deals was just too good to pass up. I'll sign up for the EVProject shortly to get my free Blink charger installed at my house.

I generally use it to drive around Nashville (I live in Midtown) and to work which is 9-10 miles each way. My wife has a car we can use for longer trips when needed.

The thing I was surprised by that really helped make my decision was all the "extras" it had like standard heated front and back seats, back up camera, NAV, XM, BlueTooth, etc. Even on luxury cars those are all typically additional options that cost a lot of money. I love the fact that I will never have to use gas for my trips, and when taking less gas costs into consideration my overall monthly cost will approach $100.

Congrats on your new LEAF. I bought an SL from downtown Nashville Nissan last week & love it!
They are a great dealership & can actually explain the LEAF to you.

Philip

The day before I went to Action Nissan on Thompson Ln, and my experience was horrendous. Granted, I didn't get to talk to the "LEAF Guy" but you would think all of their sale personnel would know the basics of the LEAF. Well, they didn't. I literally knew more than the salesman I talked to. And the LEAF expert couldn't seem to find the time to talk to me, so I left and then went to Downtown. It was night and day. It was the most efficient purchase I could have every imagined. I guess they're the largest LEAF dealer in TN, and one of the top in the country, for a reason.

I drove an ICE today for the first time in 16 months. Holy cow! I was rocking and reeling, the accelerator and brake feels are so different. (I am always in Eco, and use coasting with regen for most of my braking.) It was an auto, but the shifting of gears still almost made me feel seasick. Not too mention the noise. Happy to get back in my Leaf.

Yesterday, after spending an eternity talking with dealers who didn't seem all that interested in selling a car!

Pearl White SL. 9 miles when I got in. Up to 80 this afternoon. Learning the quirks, but when I jumped back into my Frontier earlier, was downright strange!

Next step: learning to deal with "range anxiety."

Then: Jonesin' for those LED-lit "Nissan" hood logos and LED fog light rims they have in Japan.....

Congrats!

Don't worry, you'll start to get a feel for how far apart the places you drive actually are apart & then you'll know you're ok or that you need a charge or that you need to take the old gas car...

Philip

I probably spent the summer mulling over the idea of leasing either a Volt or a Leaf or buying a used Prius. I kept shopping E-bay for used Priuses, and I was shocked that an 8 year old Prius with 170,000 miles would go for $8,000.

I read a few stories about folks picking up Volts on lease for two years for less than $200 a month. Research showed that these folks had HUGE down payments from their GM MasterCards, and I was never able to find a truly "good" deal. Plus, I have an aversion to GM because of the bailouts.

Then I read about the state of Georgia's $5,000 Leaf tax credit. You get it whether you buy or lease as long as the capitalized cost (for a lease) is at least $25,000 (otherwise, it's 20% of the cap cost). So I started shopping. Wanted a deal as close to $5,000 for a two year lease as I could get.

I ended up going with Regal Nissan in Roswell, GA (north of Atlanta). There are 19 Nissan dealers in the Metro Atlanta area, and I think I talked with folks at 12 of them. I was simply amazed at the number of Internet sales folks who would NOT deal through e-mail or phone. So many of them wouldn't even give me a price unless I came in to talk to them.

I had two dealers who were both good to work with (Capitol City Nissan was the other). In the end Regal beat Capitol City by over $600. Capitol City had said it'd beat any deal, and I really liked the sales guy, but when I said I had a deal that was better than his (at the time, it was only $400 better), he wanted me to bring in a signed sales order. I wasn't going through that trouble.

Headed to Regal on Friday afternoon with my older son in tow. The place was hopping and two Leafs were delivered while I waited. They had 12 Leaves on the lot. I think 6 were blue, and I decided I just didn't like that color. There was one Brilliant Silver, one white, and one black, and the rest were red. I liked the white, but it showed a lot of dirt, and the silver seemed to the best at hiding the dirt.

Sales guy was delivering a Murano, so he let my son and me take the Leaf for a spin (30 minutes) by ourselves. It was fun to play with everything WITHOUT the sales guy in the back seat saying "turn right."

I got to talk to the Sales Manager, who is a Leaf owner and shared his very good experience with the EV Project. In the end, I was out the door in a 2012 SL with floor mats and wheel locks (not that I wanted the wheel locks, but they tossed them in) for cap cost of $27,311. With my 24 month lease, I am out of pocket $6600, not including insurance and whatever my electricity costs increase. There was a "bonus" as the numbers I had been quoted didn't initially include the first month lease payment in my down payment, but then they had included it in the paperwork. So that was a surprise, and the deal, in effect, was $260 better than I had planned.

Delivery was very efficient, and the car was charged to 80%. 26 miles on the odometer at delivery...66 miles after coming back from church this morning. We could have waited for a full charge, but I didn't want to hang out there for another hour or so. Sales guy took care of linking my phone to the car and showing me how to download my phone book. I've never had Bluetooth, so that was a treat.

I installed a new outlet in my garage right next to it for charging. I tried using the outlet in the ceiling that the garage door opener is plugged into, but the weight of the brick pulled the plug out (caught it before it hit anything). Charged it to full yesterday (took 8 hours). Can't wait to get the Blink charger, but I have a full electrical panel with one sub panel already in the attic. I am hoping they can make it work.

I had tried to trade my 1989 Toyota pickup, but they only offered me $500 for it. As as an aside, I just sold the truck this morning for $1100 cash! And that was with front end damage, no working AC, no working radio, an oil leak, and 190,000 miles!

Anyway, sorry for the long post :roll: . We're happy with the car so far, and the heated seats and steering wheel have been a hit. Both of our other cars have heated seats, but neither has a heated steering wheel.

I was planning to try to take the Leaf to visit my aunt in Fayetteville tomorrow, but it's 44 miles away, and I am afraid I don't quite have the driving skills to get 88 miles on a full battery charge just yet. Also - there are NO quick charge stations in GA, and there are no level 2 chargers by my aunt's house, so I think I'll take my 04 Expedition just to be safe.

bronsonb said:
We're happy with the car so far, and the heated seats and steering wheel have been a hit. Both of our other cars have heated seats, but neither has a heated steering wheel.
Welcome, sounds like you did really well. Please be sure to check out the Wiki and Tony's range chart.

You'll love your LEAF! I'll have 1000 miles on mine by the time I get home tomorrow, which will be 2 weeks of ownership.

I suggest you charge to full then get on the interstate @ 75mph for 15 miles both ways and watch the range melt away. Take a deep breath, it is a good car. Charge up and drive the same route on the side road with the cruise control at 45mpg & see that you can get 80+ miles like that even in the Georgia hills.

I just went with the kids to Cumberland caverns, very hilly, 45 & 50 mph for 95% of drive. Averaged 4.8 m/kw. 75 miles round trip, got home with about 20 miles on the gom. They let me trickle charge for about 2 hours, so maybe 6 miles from that. You'll get the hang of it. I made a shorter trip last weekend and I stopped at the DCQC 20 miles from home to be sure. I would been fine. Avoid the interstates unless it's a short run.

Cumberland caverns has monthly bluegrass concerts. Nissan is a sponsor & supplies 3 LEAFs to run artists and crew into the cave as ice vehicles would full the cave with exhaust (bad idea). They told me Nissan has promised them A DCQC. They do have 3 phase power, so they might be right. Pretty cool.

Here's link to video about using LEAFs in the cave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5s_shLkJGI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Philip

We have had our 2012 Cayenne Red Leaf for three weeks now and we love it. We are leasing it but still plan to treat the battery as if we own the Leaf. Charging our Leaf around SLO, CA has been very easy so far since there are many charging stations around. We charged it up to 100% the first time we charged it, but have kept it at 80% since. We leased it at Coast Nissan in SLO and had a great experience. Kari Wastun knows a lot about the Leaf and was great. This car is so fun to drive! :lol:

@bronsonb - Congrats on the new car! I love my LEAF. Just rolled over 4200 miles this morning in 2.5months of ownership. The first few weeks can be stressful figuring out how to drive it conservatively and make all your destinations work. If your heading to a relatives house 44miles away, youll be fine, as long as you can plug in for 3-4hours...it will give you just enough juice to get home. (on L1 supplied EVSE) I drove mine over the holidays on a 75mile trip from my house to a relatives, stayed overnight charging on L1 and drove home...no issues (didnt use heat though lol) Its fun driving electric knowing a long trip cost less than $3 in energy.

Let us know how the trip goes today...if you decide to do it. I think youll be fine.

Add me to the list of Leaf drivers in SoCal :D

Ocean Blue. Leased from Carson Nissan on Sunday. Got a fantastic deal and had great service from the dealership. I worked with the Irvin in Internet Sales.

Yay me!

mazdaboi said:
Let us know how the trip goes today...if you decide to do it. I think youll be fine.

Ended up being a shortened trip. My aunt and cousin called from Fayetteville and said they wanted to meet up by Marietta, so I only had a 20 minute drive. No range anxiety at all :lol:

Now, of course, I want to test the limits :).

Back