This car is electric only message....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ialonso

I've been looking for ways to indicate that the car is ALL-ELECTRIC, no gas used... not a hybrid, etc...

I put this sticker on it, which I thought was funny and somewhat to the point...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290679400420?item=290679400420&viewitem=&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do think not everyone that reads it will get the point entirely...

I was thinking of something like this...
EV_Fill_2.png

Even adding "Do Not Attempt to Refuel with Unleaded" as another line crossed my mind....

I'm sure this has been thought off before but I did not have much luck with a search...

Any thoughts?

Before I bought the LEAF, there was a group of people here that did EV conversions. One of the builders had a local sign shop make up some labels for the cars. I put one on my EV, the wording was simple and to the point.

"100% Electric - No Gasoline Required".

My mood varies in what or how much I want to say about the car. So I go with bumper stickers. You can make them up any way you want at Vistaprint.com

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 307
KJD said:
Before I bought the LEAF, there was a group of people here that did EV conversions. One of the builders had a local sign shop make up some labels for the cars. I put one on my EV, the wording was simple and to the point.

"100% Electric - No Gasoline Required".

Great idea. working in software I'd say it'snot required, but it could still be optional... i'm looking for can't put gas in this car!!! but stated in a cooler way...lol

MrIanB said:
How about, I spend $0.00 on gas, how about you?

Ian B

How about - I just get in my car and drive it.

It there some contest out there where one group of consumers needs to demonstrate their superiority to the rest of the consumers? Honestly - you spent a lot of money and got a new car and you drive it. Why does the rest of the world need additional information?

Are we trying to make all of those who can't afford a buy any newer car at all feel guilty about having to use an ICE vehicle?

Your a very blessed minority of people who can afford to not only buy a new car, but also one that fits an extremely limited set of usage parameters. Why not just leave it at that instead of bragging the rest of the world how special you are?

LakeLeaf said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B

It there some contest out there where one group of consumers needs to demonstrate their superiority to the rest of the consumers? Honestly - you spent a lot of money and got a new car and you drive it. Why does the rest of the world need additional information?

Are we trying to make all of those who can't afford a buy any newer car at all feel guilty about having to use an ICE vehicle?

Your a very blessed minority of people who can afford to not only buy a new car, but also one that fits an extremely limited set of usage parameters. Why not just leave it at that instead of bragging the rest of the world how special you are?

Well, that's a statement!

LakeLeaf said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B

I think the OP's intent is to create increased awareness of BEVs and maybe even get people to ask him questions about the Leaf and BEVs in general.

There's some lack of consumer awareness of BEVs and a lot of misinformation about them.

not sure where I went wrong... the idea is to bring awareness to the propulsion type. people get "diesel" pretty easy... but electric they still have a hard time fully grasping.

my thought was to create something that looked informational, same as "unleaded fuel only" our diesel only.

I have seen the new diesel labels... only type 2 diesel ,no unleaded.

the sticker is supposed to be informational, even if too institutional...

powered solely by electricity. electric charge only.. Do not attempt to refuel with liquid fuels, not equipped with a liquid fuel tank.

something of the sort....

Thanks for all ideas so far.

When I purchased my first Prius in 2002 I put a sticker on the window that said, "I get 50mpg, do you."
While I did get a lot of questions about the car because of it, I look back and think it was quite a stupid/elitist thing to write. If you want to make a sticker, just have it way "electric car". No need to be obnoxious with a clever catch phrase.

There seems to be a disconnect between what I want to accomplish and what many replies read into it.

I have stated so far to very smart people who ask that the car is electric...but that does not get us to the same page.

Most common follow up questions...

It's a hybrid?

Does it use gas?

I'd like someone that sees the car "in the wild" without asking me about it, as they are curious about the car and examine it, to come away knowing that:

The car is electric, and does not use gas at all.

There is nothing desired about a catchy phrase or elitism that goes into that desire. If anything I want to share the information that I found out on my own to those that may be curious enough to examine the car up close.

This is NOT:
boho, I'm saving trees and you are killing the planet..
boho, 50% of your fuel bill goes to foreign dictators, I support only ours ;)
boho, I could have paid X less for similar ICE car but I like blowing cash on new tech
boho My car payment is almost free since this thing runs so cheaply off my wall plug, and I got it for a steal
or any other political bs (I mean belief system of course)

It's an attempt to get the point fully across to those that encounter an electric car for the first time in seeing my car, and desire to know more by closely examining it.

It seems I am missing the mark at conveying this desire properly, or maybe I can't do it without seemingly appearing with no desire to to dialogue in the other topics...

Thanks again.

I get you. The general car-buying population is so used to having no choices, other than hybrids (fairly new technology), I think that's the first thing that comes to their minds, so that's what they ask. It's a head-scratcher for them to realize a car that doesn't use gas is really out there. It's the reality in Kansas City. You could come up with lots of non-threatening stickers or labels with a fun slant that don't spew elitism. It just takes a little imagination and humor:

I fill up on electricity - just plug me in! :D
When I need fuel, just plug me in & charge me up! :p
Recharge my battery. That's all I need to go! :)
My "fuel" is electricity. Plug me in, charge me, I'm refueled! :mrgreen:
Find me an outlet and fill me up! :cool:
Charge me up, turn me on, I go! ;)
I sip from an outlet with my plug. :ugeek:

Until EVs are common around us (which will be awhile), responding to the uninitiated is going to challenge our creativity. The intent should be to educate, inform, share the excitement and help create the demand. Good luck!

LakeLeaf said:

What's wrong with advocacy? For early-adopters of BEV, there are various reasons and many of those have to do with making the world a better place. That's hardly selfish. Whether or not you agree with our conclusions, I can't see how you can fault us for wanting to promote what we think is part of the solution. I'm not sure what kind of thinking leads you to take that goodwill and throw it in our faces as a vile accusation.

As for my sticker, I'm wanting to let people know that electric cars are here, and they're kinda' fun. Boogie-woogie-woogie!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyLFzcTiYA[/youtube]

I too wanted to convey that there was no gas tank on my leaf and I thought about this:

Attention Gas Thieves!
This car has no gas tank.

But in the end I decided I wanted to be cute. If the reader gets offended and think I’m being preachy to them, well, the message wasn’t for them anyway. My current plate frame says:

100% Solar Electric
Drivin on Rainbows & Daydreams

FairwoodRed said:
I too wanted to convey that there was no gas tank on my leaf and I thought about this:

Attention Gas Thieves!

But in the end I decided I wanted to be cute. If the reader gets offended and think I’m being preachy to them, well, the message wasn’t for them anyway. My current plate frame says:

100% Solar Electric

Did you mean 'Driving' because otherwise it's 'Driven'.

Here is what I have done to my LEAF. I get comments all the time...Last week, when I came out of the local Lowes, there was a crowd of about 6-8 ppl around my car. I get comments and questions everywhere. Driving to work on the highway, the car gets a lot of stares. On the weekends, I see people point at the car when driving through town.

So, do people notice? The answer is, "yes." And I always do my best to remain patient and polite when answering the same questions over and over. It's actually allowed me to perfect my responses and I guide the conversation in a direction of education and understanding. I try to make something more than a one-sided statement of, "Look at me...you're paying for gas and I'm not."

Perhaps I am learning as much as they are...

Anyway, here is my simple accessorization (i made up that word) that has inspired many long stares, conversations and finger pointing.
plater.jpg

Customized License Plate.
Thanks to http://bestlicenseplateframes.com/

img2061u.jpg

Added letters ELECTRIC to rear hatch.
Purchased letters on Ebay

DesertDenizen said:
My plate frame reads "100% Electric, Driving on Sunshine"

Same here, I bought a custom plate off eBay that says "100% ELECTRIC" on top, and "SOLAR POWERED" on the bottom, just in case anyone is thinking that I "have just shifted my emissions from my tailpipe to a coal-fired smokestack".
I also added the "ELECTRIC" letters to the rear.

LEAFfan said:
FairwoodRed said:

Attention Gas Thieves!

100% Solar Electric

Did you mean 'Driving' because otherwise it's 'Driven'.

I didn't have enough room on the frame for the G or the apostrophe. So, yes, I did mean driving, but had to settle for less. :)

Back