Tire Wear on Edges. Anybody else seeing this?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aqn said:
The sidewall says:
"MAX LOAD 580 kg ( 1279 lbs)
AT 300 kPa (44 psi) MAX PRESS
"
It doesn't say "exceed 44 psi and you will die". The 44 psi figure pertains to the maximum weight to be placed on the wheel/tire.
TomT said:
Actually, that is not what it means
It'd be useful if you point to some references as to what it does mean.

TomT said:
- check the tire industry documentation for specifics on this - and as it has been discussed in great detail in other threads here before, I'll not delve in to it again...
With all due respect to all engaged in such discussions, "discussed in great details" is neither a necessary nor a sufficient condition for something to be "correct".

Here is what I found, "North American Load and Pressure Markings":
"A [tire has] its maximum load and maximum tire inflation pressure typically presented on the sidewall as follows:

NORTH AMERICAN CODES ONLY

MAX. LOAD 630 kg (1389 lbs)
MAX. PRESSURE 300 kPa (44 psi)

This branding identifies that tires [...] must be capable of, and be rated to carry 630 kg (1,389 pounds). Additionally it identifies that the maximum tire inflation pressure for this tire is 300 kPa (44 psi).

It is important to note that the maximum load is rated at an industry specified tire inflation pressure that is often lower then the tire's absolute maximum tire pressure. The tire pressures used to determine the maximum load the tire is rated to carry is based on the sizing system industry standards applied to the tire.
"

and also "Tire Tech Information/General Tire Information":
"A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different that the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load." For example, while a [...] tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many [...] performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard in the vehicle's owner's manual."

TomT said:
Suffice it to say that I would never feel comfortable running a road tire almost 20 percent above the maximum recommended inflation pressure for an extended period... YMMV, of course.
There are two key points in this statement: "almost 20 percent above the maximum recommended inflation pressure" and "extended period". I mentioned the former as being a routine practice at autocrosses. I did not advocate both together. ("Autocross" and "extended period" are very mutually exclusive terms!)

Of course, at the end of the day, one should not do what makes one feel uncomfortable, especially not on the say-so of know-it-all's in public forums.

Back