Tony Williams' CARB-ZEV Compliance Rating Scale

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bicster said:
I know this doesn't answer your question, but isn't MY14 in production now? The MY13 is constrained everywhere. The '14 is supposed to arrive in October.

There was a Nissan press release indicating an October release, but it was quickly edited to state December. This information is two months old, though.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/...p-charting-the-changes?page=3&query=2014+leaf

MY13 may be in short supply in the USA, but there are 1800 vehicles in dealer stock according to cars.com. The difference between US and Canadian availability is stark.

SV's are sold out in Vancouver, but you can drive an hour to the border and find dozens on Washington dealers' lots.

Berlino said:
Slightly off topic, but how much more is a sale in various CARB-ZEV states worth to a manufacturer than the same sale elsewhere?

There is a "traveling" clause, and typically the credit is worth 1/2 what it is worth in California from another CARB state. This expires Jan 1, 2018, when the auto manufacturer will have to actually sell the car in the actual CARB states, not just all in California and get credit for the other states.

I doubt any province is CARB compliant (and there's no reason why it couldn't be), so if your theory holds water (and I do believe it does), then Nissan would want to sell as much as they can in California and other CARB states.

Nissan recently announced that they would be selling CARB credits.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-29/nissan-joins-tesla-selling-california-green-car-credits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Alan Ohnsman - Aug 29, 2013 3:00 PM PT

Nissan Motor Co. (7201), the most prolific electric-car maker, has begun selling green-car credits under California’s clean-air rules. The only automaker that had previously disclosed doing so is Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA)

California requires large automakers to sell electric or other zero-emission vehicles in proportion to their share of the largest U.S. state market for cars and trucks. Nissan has delivered enough of its all-electric Leaf hatchbacks that it has started selling excess credits, Executive Vice President Andy Palmer told reporters in Irvine, California, this week.

We’ve got carbon credits to sell, and we’re selling them -- California ZEV credits,” Palmer said.

Back