Totally Impressed With Clipper Creek CS 90's in Canada!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaslessInSeattle

this past weekend I drove our Tesla Model S up Vancouver Island to Quadra Island, using one of Canada's Sun Country Highway's clipper Creek CS 90's. this is a J1772, 90A nominal, 72 A continuous charging station and I have to say I think it is the best approach I've seen out there for medium-high speed charging and it works for the Leaf and all other J1772 adaptable EV's! I had a chance to chat on the phone with Kent Rathwell, the guy behind the Sun Country Highway and he explained the reasoning for the choice of Clipper Creek and went into the business model behind Canada's network of charging stations. I am so inspired by what this guy had to say that I am thinking of having a Clipper Creek CS 90 or the new CS 100 (coming out in a few weeks) added at my house, accessible at the street and putting it on plugshare! For around $2K you get a very powerful and very reliable and well built unit. they are free throughout Canada. Being both a Leaf and Tesla S owner, I think this approach could help cut through the future compatibility issue of CHAdeMO vs Frankenplug vs Tesla Supercharger to a large extent. these are much cheaper to install than fast chargers and could augment QC's and super chargers. if the model that Canada is going with could be replicated here, they would be free to use and lack the touch screens and all that is needed for billing, giving them near bullet proof simplicity/reliability... you plug in and they just start charging, it's as easy as that! One of the best things about them is their high amperage, which makes them somewhat future proof as cars like the Leaf and others get upgraded over time for faster and faster charging. this company is thinking ahead!

Back