Trading in 2012 SL for 2013 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafLeafLeaf

I currently lease 2012 SL for $289 / month, got it couple months ago.

Would dealers accept lease trade-in / early returns? I figured 2013 SV would be around $22K.

the main reason is -- I need the new 6.6kw charger... found out the current 3kw charger is way too slow..

And, pretty much, the answer is the same...

About the only way to do this is to buy out your lease from NMAC, then attempt to trade your car in as a used car to the dealer. Unfortunately, being so early in your current lease will mean your buy-out cost will be considerably higher than the car's trade-in value (by many thousands of dollars). With the price drop in the new 2013s, the trade-in values for the 2012s are going to become very poor very fast (as a percentage of their original cost). Could be a very expensive trade just to get the faster charger.

This is where it would be nice to find out what it would cost for Nissan to change the charger over to a 6.6kw charger, or an aftermarket option.
Maybe it would be cheaper to upgrade the car to the 2013... Maybe not... It's too expensive to upgrade the charger. It's too expensive to upgrade to
the newer car model. But that's only relative to a persons situation, it may be reasonable for one and completely absurd for another.

jcan said:
This is where it would be nice to find out what it would cost for Nissan to change the charger over to a 6.6kw charger, or an aftermarket option.
If I'm not mistaken the 6.6 charger is a totally different system from what is in the 2011's and 2012's. It appears to be integrated with the inverter/controller thingy, perhaps those more knowledgeable in such things could correct me. I'm guessing the only thing more costly than taking the whack trading in an almost brand new car would be attempting such a conversion.

jcan said:
Nissan to change the charger on a '11-'12? Yeah, right. It's in the back under the hump on the '11-'12 and moved to the front in the '13 and in integrated w/the inverter. Take a look at the slides at http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Back