Trying to figure out Power Curve

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Crunching for practice, for a time when real LEAF numbers can be obtained.

Exercise:
Given a LEAF to "measure", what "street" tests would you run to get the data you need, but with a near-minimum of testing?

What's the point, entertainment. Until you get a Leaf and drive it you won't know your efficiency since there are so many variables and since the Leaf is sated to be quite heavy these numbers will vary quite a bit under various road conditions. It's a first-run EV, if everyone excepts a broad range then they should be somewhat pleased. I also hear a lot of talk about the AC but the Leaf has quite a bit of air volume so I would expect a heater that will output about 5kw on high based on their stated heater design. The forum has the potential to start sounding like an engineering nerd fair where lots of speculative calculations are made with no real-world testing. Well, Nissan did their calculations and they have the most accurate variables and design specs, no one else does. So,

What is my range with the front tires at 34 PSI rear at 42, two 5 mile 2% grades, 63 degree ambient temp, heater on low for 15 minutes, one 130 lb passenger and 60lbs of cargo, two 70 mph passes per 6 miles with one on the grade, a average speed of 64 mph, a very cold gearbox to start, the back window cracked 2", a 20min side wind of 18 mph and three incidences of hard stops to 40 mph and then back to the average speed? All with a full charge to make it easy and put in a slight drizzle of rain for 20 minutes for good measure. That should be a level two practice question- and begin......

EVDRIVER said:
What's the point, entertainment. Until you get a Leaf and drive it you won't know your efficiency since there are so many variables and since the Leaf is sated to be quite heavy these numbers will vary quite a bit under various road conditions.

Think of it as trying to predict the weather ... :)

Good, well-detailed range question.

That is typical of what the "heavy-use" (long range users) will be asking. Of course, the light-use (quite limited range) users will not really be concerned, since their "tank" will be much larger than their usual trips will require (like ICE gas tank capacities).

Oh, and (in CA), headlights are required to be ON, even in daylight, whenever the wipers are ON (during your rain shower). :)

Back