TSLA stock price discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSLA on the move again ... $104.63 high for today and less than 45 minutes after exchange opened ... any more cashing out or let it ride

LTLFTcomposite said:
I wish for nothing but unending success for this company, but it's hard to see how the situation with the stock doesn't end in tears.
Depends on for whom ... personally I would not buy at this price - but nor am I selling.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I wish for nothing but unending success for this company, but it's hard to see how the situation with the stock doesn't end in tears.
There will be winners and losers, on both the long and short end of the stick. Stock market adage: things are usually not as good or as bad as they appear... Tesla will roll how it rolls. Their next trick is something affordable... We'll see... My friend begged me to buy when it was 35. Shoulda, woulda, gonna; the talke of gamblers...

JimSouCal said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
There will be winners and losers, on both the long and short end of the stick. Stock market adage: things are usually not as good or as bad as they appear... Tesla will roll how it rolls. Their next trick is something affordable... We'll see... My friend begged me to buy when it was 35. Shoulda, woulda, gonna; the talke of gamblers...

Yeah, the nay-sayers have gone from "It'll never work", to "why aren't they making one *I* can afford"!! :lol:

Who cut cheese? Giving back a big chunk of yesterday's gain.

It dawned on me why they'd want to get that loan paid back... freedom of action. They may want to produce the lower cost models outside the U.S., especially if the NADA is successful in their efforts to keep a stranglehold on the market.

So my friend who was urging me to buy this stock in the 30's is now trying to time an entry as a short player. He feels if there is no meaningful backlog of Model S buyers, it will drop back to 50... He made money on the way up, and feels there is money to be made on the way down (at someone's expense always).

I am sitting this one out as I am a buy and hold guy. For that matter, I wish Tesla wild success, but the long tern health of the company and the stock price will diverge from time to time...

Any one have insight to the waiting list?

JimSouCal said:
So my friend who was urging me to buy this stock in the 30's is now trying to time an entry as a short player. He feels if there is no meaningful backlog of Model S buyers, it will drop back to 50... He made money on the way up, and feels there is money to be made on the way down (at someone's expense always).

I am sitting this one out as I am a buy and hold guy. For that matter, I wish Tesla wild success, but the long tern health of the company and the stock price will diverge from time to time...

Any one have insight to the waiting list?
I wouldn't be so certain that the waiting list is what drives the price of TSLA stock. YMMV

JimSouCal said:
So my friend who was urging me to buy this stock in the 30's is now trying to time an entry as a short player. ...

Thank your friend for me. While he wasn't one of those shorting on the way up, lots of shorts who were emotionally shorting based on not liking EVs are the reason Tesla was able to pay off the government and accelerate their supercharger roll out.

In your friend's case, I understand those are not his motivation for shorting the stock. But I still view shorting as a gamble. And Elon Musk is someone I don't want to bet against.

Frankly I would sooner stick my tongue to a live wall outlet than short Tesla.
I do get his reasoning and he could be right. But long term I see a lot more possible upside so I will continue to hold.

Zythryn said:
I do get his reasoning and he could be right. But long term I see a lot more possible upside so I will continue to hold.
If I was a player on this, which I am not, I'd have a stop order in place and would ratchet it up as the stock went up. That said, if it went into free fall, say because the next earnings report can't point to profitability in the near term, then the stock will drop, and if there are enough stop orders in place, drop perhaps even faster than it went up.

That said, my friend is an EV fan and has high hopes for Tesla as an innovating company. He plays with market timing. My original question is really, what is the status of the waiting list?

My personal bet is that at some point, Tesla will merge with a larger entity, and it will be a matter of how many shares you will hold in the new entity. With success, it may be aplenty.

JimSouCal said:
That said, my friend is an EV fan and has high hopes for Tesla as an innovating company. He plays with market timing. My original question is really, what is the status of the waiting list?

My personal bet is that at some point, Tesla will merge with a larger entity, and it will be a matter of how many shares you will hold in the new entity. With success, it may be aplenty.

Best of luck to him, some people have made a ton of money that way, more have lost a bunch that way.
As of a month ago if you order a Model S you would have been given a 1-3 month delivery date. My understanding is that remains true today.

Trading in the $114/share range but went as high at $116.20 today .. let it ride ... one pundit on stock appreciation says to sell half your shares when a company doubles in price; what happens when you're 3X or 4X ? (not me, but it has now more than doubled -- too soon to cash out as it will taxed as 'ordinary' income as held less than a year), of course market is up with the start of a new month but still.

redLEAF said:
Trading in the $114/share range but went as high at $116.20 today .. let it ride ... one pundit on stock appreciation says to sell half your shares when a company doubles in price; what happens when you're 3X or 4X ? (not me, but it has now more than doubled -- too soon to cash out as it will taxed as 'ordinary' income as held less than a year), of course market is up with the start of a new month but still.
you should research stop loss orders and place them in appropriate places to mitigate the losses of a flash crash.
also you could start writing covered calls and take some money out of the position.

apvbguy said:
the moment you believe you understand the markets is the moment of your biggest risk
Ostensibly, the 9% increase was because of an analyst who upgraded the target price from $70 to $130. Obviously this analyst is behind the market, not in front. So, why pay her any attention ?

Anyway, looks like the market is setting itself for a disappointment by expecting better than guidance results.

evnow said:
apvbguy said:
the moment you believe you understand the markets is the moment of your biggest risk
Ostensibly, the 9% increase was because of an analyst who upgraded the target price from $70 to $130. Obviously this analyst is behind the market, not in front. So, why pay her any attention ?

Anyway, looks like the market is setting itself for a disappointment by expecting better than guidance results.
You can only understand markets historically... ;-)

Back