Twin plugs on OEM 110v trickle charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcxplant

A friend told me this can be done: add a second 110 plug to the OEM trickle charger to get 220 charging. I've searched the forum and I cannot find info.

Will this give 220 charging?

Is there anyone who has done this?

Is there a company that can do this?

Thanks all!

mwalsh said:
Don't look for "Quick 220" without first looking for "EVSE Upgrade"! :shock:
Or Open EVSE. Although, given the origins of EVSE Upgrade, I'm surprised they haven't hired you as their spokesperson :D
Well done BTW! That project would not have gotten off the ground as quickly when it did without your willingness to help.

I saw the Quick 220 website, but that looks like a "female" box.

What I am interested in is putting two 110v "male" plugs on my OEM trickle charger cable.

dcxplant said:
What I am interested in is putting two 110v "male" plugs on my OEM trickle charger cable.
As a permanent fixture? Why? As mwalsh noted above, putting 240V into the trickle charger without the EVSE Upgrade mod will fry it. You might want it look up this thread for DIY instructions: Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources. Just don't use it with an unmodified trickle cord, as it's expensive to replace.

dcxplant said:
I saw the Quick 220 website, but that looks like a "female" box.

Use what works. If you want to add the clumbsy J-box hard wired to the evse you will lose the ability to charge at 120 volts.

What makes the quick 220 work is increasing the voltage to a modified EVSE. LEAF will not charge faster on 120v than 12 amps, an extra plug is no benefit.

If you decide to upgrade your EVSE and either purchase or DIY a quick 240 volt device, make sure you have access to two 120 volt circuits, each on a separate leg of the 240/120 volt household service.

If the above is not clear, then perhaps you ought to talk in person to an electrician or someone familiar with home wiring. No flame intended, but I don't think the friend who advised a second plug on the EVSE is the person to consult.

surfingslovak said:
Well done BTW! That project would not have gotten off the ground as quickly when it did without your willingness to help.

Glad to help. I had a feeling someone like Phil could figure it out pretty easily, once there was one available to tear into. I was actually more worried about UPS losing it than I was about Phil's exploratory tinkering. :D

Okay, I've got it now, this is a two-step process.

1) Upgrade EVSE for 220 capability

2) Get Quick 220.

dcxplant said:

2) Get Quick 220.

Yup. You could in theory "hardwire" the quick220 to your evse, but that would be kinda silly. I always drive around with my quick220 (actually I have the DIY version "easy240" - see the thread that surfingslovak linked to) and upgraded EVSE in the trunk. You need to realize that this approach only works if you can find 2 circuits on different legs, and it also won't work with GFCI protected circuits.

One more thing you need to consider if you plan to use this approach frequently is whether to get the rev 1 (12 amp) or rev 2 (16 amp) EVSE upgrade. I opted for the rev2, because I like being able to make use of the full potential of the Leaf's charger, but sometimes I wish I had a rev1, because I've tripped a few breakers at friends' houses when using my easy240 to charge. Note that most standard 120v circuits are rated at 15 amps, so charging with the rev2 is pushing it unless you can find 20 amp circuits, and even then you should make sure there aren't any other loads on the circuits while charging.

The ideal solution is to get an EVSE that allows you to select the maximum current draw, and the only way I know of to do that is by building an open-EVSE or getting an SPX PowerExpress.

What is your goal for this? Do you just want to be able to charge more quickly on the go at friends' houses, etc., or are you looking for a more permanent setup at home or work?

fooljoe,

Very informative, thanks!

I wanted to decrease charging time with trickle charger because I do not have 220v outlets available.

I lease the house we are in, and will go into an apartment complex in Jan.

Both have 110v outlets, but I know the current garage has one circuit, and I suspect only one circuit at the apartment complex garage as well.

Clear as mud, and I sure am glad you brought up the one circuit issue before I ordered all the equipment!

fooljoe said:
Yup. You could in theory "hardwire" the quick220 to your evse, but that would be kinda silly. I always drive around with my quick220 (actually I have the DIY version "easy240" - see the thread that surfingslovak linked to) and upgraded EVSE in the trunk. You need to realize that this approach only works if you can find 2 circuits on different legs, and it also won't work with GFCI protected circuits. ............ snip
UNLESS ;)
Not wanting to ever be undone by pesky gfi's - I carry a 42lb 20amp 1 to 1 isolation transformer in the back of the Leaf. On those trips that may require an emergency charge, the transformer effectively sends the requisite power back to the gfi, so that it doesn't think there's an imbalance. I never bothered to measure ... but there's likely a 6% or 7% loss using the transformer. Still, that's way better than waiting around on a slow poke 120v charge. Most outdoor recepticles around here now have gfi's. With this spoof, I can still use the quick220.

dcxplant said:
Both have 110v outlets, but I know the current garage has one circuit, and I suspect only one circuit at the apartment complex garage as well
Yeah, sounds like a no go. You'll just have to test things out when you get to the apartment complex. Maybe if the owner is EV-friendly he can get a 240v circuit installed for you. For home charging I think a more permanent setup is better anyway - the easy240/quick220 thing is really meant for on the go / emergency charging.

hill said:
I carry a 42lb 20amp 1 to 1 isolation transformer
Nice! But don't you need 2 in case both circuits are GFCI'd? I actually put some serious thought into doing this myself, as there are a bunch of outdoor GFCI outlets at work, but it looked like the cost/weight issues make this approach untenable. Where did you get the transformer?

dcxplant said:
Both have 110v outlets, but I know the current garage has one circuit, and I suspect only one circuit at the apartment complex garage as well.

Clear as mud, and I sure am glad you brought up the one circuit issue before I ordered all the equipment!
If you are able to find 2 separate 120V outlets and upgrade your EVSE, I would recommend not getting the Rev2/16A upgrade unless you are certain that you have 20A 120V outlets available when using the Easy240 or equivalent.

fooljoe said:
hill said:
I carry a 42lb 20amp 1 to 1 isolation transformer
Nice! But don't you need 2 in case both circuits are GFCI'd? I actually put some serious thought into doing this myself, as there are a bunch of outdoor GFCI outlets at work, but it looked like the cost/weight issues make this approach untenable. Where did you get the transformer?
Got it off ebay - on the cheep! Yes, I thought I'd need 2 of 'em as well ... until some of the friendly folks in the know, right here on mnl said you could wire one to do the job. My electronics engineering father in law said it's not possible . . . but the electronics engineering uncle of my wife agreed with Mnl folks who said it is possible to spoof 2 gfi's w/ one transformer. He helped me through the wiring so... now I'm good to go ... 1/2 the cost and 1/2 the weight !! :)

dcxplant said:

2) Get Quick 220.

3) Make adapter that will go from the Quick 220 box output NEMA 6-15 receptacle to the Twistlock connector on the modified EVSE.

Randy said:
dcxplant said:

2) Get Quick 220.

3) Make adapter that will go from the Quick 220 box output NEMA 6-15 receptacle to the Twistlock connector on the modified EVSE.
Quick220 model A220-20L already has the L6-20 output receptacle built-in. No need for an adaptor to the modified EVSE L6-20 plug.

Back