Understanding the EV haters

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tell folks that i would be glad to pay for the power, and that chargers can be set up to charge for power or be free, just as stores can charge you for parking and cities can choose to have meters on streets. it is a municipal and retailer/employer decision.

BTW, I should say that I am a single car household. I love my LEAF; I just passed the 10.3K mile mark! It's the perfect car for my lifestyle.

tps said:
BTW, I should say that I am a single car household. I love my LEAF; I just passed the 10.3K mile mark! It's the perfect car for my lifestyle.

If you are thriving as a single car household, that is exceptional and congratulations for being bold enough to make that commitment. I'm a two car household, there are a few trips/destinations I've had to make that would have stretched my LEAF probably further than it's convenient to use for, but those trips are few and far between :)

thankyouOB said:
i tell folks that i would be glad to pay for the power, and that chargers can be set up to charge for power or be free, just as stores can charge you for parking and cities can choose to have meters on streets. it is a municipal and retailer/employer decision.

I think cities should take on installing charging stations and billing for the time parked just like any other parking space. Around here the only place where free parking is not plentiful is in the downtown area. What we have is two different entities trying to get money for one space. not going to work. Blink (or whoever) will have a station that is hardly ever used.

now if the city owned the station; they could combine the charging and parking into one. probably have a lot more stations available, the ability to create a monthly account option like Evgo (but with REASONABLE pricing) etc.

I think that is where many localities will end up when EVs are commonplace.

I am a conservative Leaf owner (lease). I must admit I am a little bothered by the fact the car is being subsidized by taxpayers. It makes me feel somewhat hypocritical. I try to rationalize it by telling myself that I've paid taxes since I was 15 and the fact that I'm helping to develop a technology that could eventually save taxpayers a lot more money in the long run. If I may advise those who are trying to convince people of the benefit of the EV. Don't tell them that it will save billions of dollars and lives by preventing wars for oil (by the way, have you seen the bumper sticker "No Oil for Pacifists"?). That would be like someone trying to convince you not to buy the car because Obama is a Muslim who wasn't born in the USA. Hyperbole is not a great way to convince someone that you know what your talking about. I got excited the other day when I saw a Leaf at the car pool parking area. It had a bumper sticker that was taped to the back window saying "NOBAMA". I'm not alone! A few years ago I was driving on the freeway when I spotted a Prius that had an American flag on their bumper sticker. I thought "about time!". Unfortunately as I came up close enough to see the print it said "These colors don't rule the world". Anyway, I really hope Nissan is successful. I think the Leaf is a great car. I look forward to seeing the technology grow. I would like to have better air quality and I am very sensitive to noise. Here in the Sacramento area we also get the pollutants blowing in from the Bay Area. I really like those rare clear air days when I can see the snow capped Sierras.

If only Romney had won, the Republicans would have put all their efforts into developing alternative energy and helping more electric cars get on the road. The conservatives have been so good on air pollution, too, I'm sure eight years of Romney and the skies over Sacramento would be crystal clear so you could enjoy that view of the Sierras every day.
The only thing worse than a stupid person is a smart person who deliberately ignores facts.
willk55 said:
I got excited the other day when I saw a Leaf at the car pool parking area. It had a bumper sticker that was taped to the back window saying "NOBAMA". I'm not alone.

barsad22 said:
If only Romney had won, the Republicans would have put all their efforts into developing alternative energy and helping more electric cars get on the road. The conservatives have been so good on air pollution, too, I'm sure eight years of Romney and the skies over Sacramento would be crystal clear so you could enjoy that view of the Sierras every day.
The only thing worse than a stupid person is a smart person who deliberately ignores facts.
willk55 said:
I got excited the other day when I saw a Leaf at the car pool parking area. It had a bumper sticker that was taped to the back window saying "NOBAMA". I'm not alone.
wow, a whole lot of foolishness in one post, exactly what has the charlatan done other than pour billions of dollars down black holes? what did the democrat controlled congress do when the had the power to enact anything they wanted to when they had complete control of both houses of congress.
people like you are sheople because you think politicians of any stripe are actually looking out for your needs and well being sheople like you who believe government is the key to solving ANY problem.
here's a hint, GOVERNMENT and POLITICIANS are the problem

willk55 said:
I am a conservative Leaf owner (lease). I must admit I am a little bothered by the fact the car is being subsidized by taxpayers. It makes me feel somewhat hypocritical.
There were 53,000 electric vehicles sold in 2012.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ales-triple-in-2013-as-buyers-models-increase
Assuming that there were an equal number of $7,500 tax credits, the total federal electric vehicle tax credit was $400 million.

Senate Republicans blocked a bill that would have ended $24 billion in subsidies due to be paid to the largest oil companies in the next 10 years.
http://www.rttnews.com/1850888/senate-republicans-block-repeal-of-oil-subsidies.aspx

That works out to $2.4 billion per year or six times the federal EV tax credit.

I wonder if the big oil companies "feel somewhat hypocritical"?

I also wonder what the cost of gasoline would be if our tax dollars did not support the big oil companies? How much more attractive would electric vehicles be if the price of gasoline was higher.

Finally, if there were more electric vehicles on the road in the US there would be less demand for gasoline, and since the price of gasoline is determined by supply and demand, electric vehicles will help keep down the price of gasoline.

I guess they were not committed enough to actually put the sticker on permanently... :lol:

willk55 said:

apvbguy said:
what did the democrat controlled congress do when the had the power to enact anything they wanted to when they had complete control of both houses of congress.

Except for, you know, the record number of filibusters by the party of NO.

gigglehertz said:
apvbguy said:
what did the democrat controlled congress do when the had the power to enact anything they wanted to when they had complete control of both houses of congress.

Except for, you know, the record number of filibusters by the party of NO.
I am witnessing the effects of the lack of civics in modern schooling. first off a filibuster can only happen in the senate and in that chamber the democraps (see 2 can use silly/childish terms) had enough votes to halt ANY filibuster. the party of NO is what is separating the morons from any ability to enact anymore idiotic legislation like the obumacare insanity. hey can you and your brothas come up with something better than no justice no peace?

apvbguy said:
I am witnessing the effects of the lack of civics in modern schooling. first off a filibuster can only happen in the senate and in that chamber the democraps (see 2 can use silly/childish terms) had enough votes to halt ANY filibuster. the party of NO is what is separating the morons from any ability to enact anymore idiotic legislation like the obumacare insanity. hey can you and your brothas come up with something better than no justice no peace?

Moderators,
Do we really have to put up with this kind of crap here ?
KJD

KJD said:
Do we really have to put up with this kind of crap here ?
Not anymore, he's been banned. Don't bother replying and please folks, stop feeding the trolls and keep politics out of the main forums.

willk55 said:
I am a conservative Leaf owner (lease). I must admit I am a little bothered by the fact the car is being subsidized by taxpayers. It makes me feel somewhat hypocritical. I try to rationalize it by telling myself that I've paid taxes since I was 15 [...]
You shouldn't feel bothered, conflicted or hypocritical -- you should feel smart and "pat yourself on the back". ie, as I read in another comment section, a conservative observed that [paraphrasing]: Who likes taxes? So I am all for tax rebates, and I jumped at the chance to get some of my tax money back.

A conservative argument for the rebates! So, as you hinted at in your post, you subsidized your own lease.

(just came across this thread because of a recent entry)

Agreed, that was some pretty outrageous stuff from that banned member and I didn't mean to stir any sleeping trolls. However, I don't think we should equate political discussions about electric vehicles in these forums with offensive language, racist stuff, or other things that really do not belong here. The success of electric vehicles in the marketplace is very much wrapped up in politics -- so we should be careful before we say that "politics should be kept out of main forums", because we might be avoiding having really important discussions that affect the future of the Leaf and other EVs in the next few decades. It IS possible to have appropriate civic discussion between Republicans and Democrats about the proper role of government in promoting (or not promoting) EVs. It's just not possible for those who think it's a holy war. For my part, I welcome every single Republican who has bought a Leaf, I think it's time they spoke up and were recognized by their own party.

barsad22 said:
However, I don't think we should equate political discussions about electric vehicles in these forums with offensive language, racist stuff, or other things that really do not belong here.
When people can discuss politics without resorting to offensive language and name-calling, they will be more than welcome to discuss it anywhere they like.

However, as you can see, politics seems to quickly cause people to lose all their restraint.

barsad22 said:
It IS possible to have appropriate civic discussion between Republicans and Democrats about the proper role of government in promoting (or not promoting) EVs.

And it's essential to our country that they find a way to do so -- about this any any number of other issues.

But this banned fellow illustrated the problems we are having generally as a society in that regard.

Back