Upcoming car show, questions & concerns.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Every year on Father's Day weekend, my church has a car show in the parking lot. They usually have around 30 interesting vehicles, most are muscle cars and antiques. However, last year I brought my Leaf. Here's a photo of it:
6283793655_3808a56701.jpg

Well, I've already spoken to the planners and I will be bringing my Leaf again this year as well as my wife's Volt. We usually have a few thousand people show up to these events. Last year there was quite a crowd around the Leaf asking questions. Unlike some of the cars on display, I let people get inside and sit down too. I also printed out a sheet of paper and taped it to the back glass showing some basic statistics on the car since I predicted I wouldn't be able to answer everyone's questions and I was right.

Okay, well, that was a year ago and much has changed in the political climate surrounding these cars, especially the Volt. While last year I did not encounter any negativity from anyone looking at my Leaf, I am sort of afraid I might encounter some this year, especially having the Volt there. Keep in mind most of the people in my area (Ft.Worth,TX) are pretty conservative and since this is at a church there will be even higher concentration of conservatives. On the other hand, it is good because I'm fairly conservative myself and I think it is good to show these people that conservatives also like cars like this.

The other thing I was thinking about.. Give me your input here. I'd like to leave the car on so people can see the instrumentation. I always leave the 120V EVSE plugged in so people will notice it is an electric car. However, the EVSE is not actually connected to the wall. I'm pretty sure this will still disable the car from actually going anywhere if somebody were to put it into drive. What do you think?

So I've updated my FAQ papers and created a separate one for the Volt. I wanted to post the content of them here and see what feedback you guys might give me. Keep in mind that I'm already pretty much at the limit on space. Each car is going to have 2 pieces of paper taped to the back glass. (actually, the Volt I might have to put them somewhere else) I don't want to make the font any smaller or people won't be able to read it easily. So any drastic additions of information would probably require removing some other information. I've tried to make everything as simple and easy to understand as possible. Rather than attaching a MS-Word document, I'm just going to cut and paste the content here. (normally this is centered on the page, but the forum doesn't seem to have an option for center justify)

Here's the main FAQ sheet for the Leaf:

How far can it go?

The EPA says about 73 miles, however many drivers have been able to get in excess of 120 miles when driven gently.

How long does it take to charge? It depends on the type of charger.

On a 120V Wall Outlet – Up 20 hours
On a 240V charger – Up to 8 hours
On a 480V charger – Up to 25 minutes

Keep in mind that these numbers represent charging the battery from a completely depleted state to completely full. This rarely happens. In most cases the battery will not be fully drained. My daily recharge time is about 30 minutes.

How fast does it go?

Top speed is 95 miles per hour
0-60 times is about 9 seconds
From a dead stop it will outrun most gasoline cars.

How much does it cost to charge?

It depends on your electric rate. TXU is now offering a plan with free nights. In which case you can charge your car for free. Even on regular rates, it is not much. I spend about $10 a month on electricity for my Leaf. If I were driving a regular gasoline car at 25 mpg, I would spend about $100 instead.

How much does one of these cars cost?

Not as much as you might think. The retail cost is about $35,000. However, with current tax incentives and lease deals it is possible to lease one of these cars for $329 per month. Then when considering the amount of money you will also save on gasoline, oil-changes, inspections, and other maintenance, it works out to be a very inexpensive vehicle to drive.

It is actually environmentally friendly when charged with coal power?

Yes. Keep in mind that enormous amounts of electricity is used to refine oil into gasoline. The amount of electricity used to produce one gallon of gasoline could drive this car 20 miles. By driving on electricity you bypass the entire production processes of gasoline. Coal is also an abundant resource and we produce all of our coal right here in the good ole' USA. Here in Texas 36% of our power comes from coal. The rest is nuclear, natural gas, and wind power.

OKay, here is the FAQ for the Volt:

How far can it go?

On Electric - The EPA says about 35 miles. Once the battery runs out, you can drive on gasoline as far as you want to go just like any other car. Many drivers report getting between 40 and 50 miles on electric.

How long does it take to charge? It depends on the type of charger used.

On a 120V Wall Outlet – Up 10 hours
On a 240V charger – Up to 4 hours

Keep in mind that these numbers represent charging the battery from a completely depleted state to completely full. This rarely happens. In most cases the battery will not be fully drained. My daily recharge time is about 30 minutes.

How fast does it go?

Top speed is 100 miles per hour
0-60 times is about 8 seconds

How much does it cost to charge?

It depends on your electric rate. TXU is now offering a plan with free nights. In which case you can charge your car for free. Even on regular rates, it is not much. I spend about $10 a month on electricity for my Leaf. If I were driving a regular gasoline car at 25 mpg, I would spend about $100 instead.

How much does one of these cars cost?

Not as much as you might think. The retail cost is about $40,000. However, with current tax incentives and lease deals it is possible to lease one of these cars for $359 per month. Then when considering the amount of money you will also save on gasoline, it works out to be a very inexpensive vehicle to drive.

It is actually environmentally friendly when charged with coal power?

Yes. Keep in mind that an enormous amount of electricity is used to refine oil into gasoline. The amount of electricity used to produce one gallon of gasoline could drive this car 20 miles. By driving on electricity you bypass the entire production processes of gasoline. Coal is also an abundant resource and we produce all of our coal right here in the good ole' USA. Here in Texas only 36% of our power comes from coal. The rest is nuclear, natural gas, and wind power.

Do these cars catch on fire?

The media blew this out of proportion. A Volt caught fire in a parking lot several days after it was crash tested by the government. It turns out that they drained the gas tank (as is standard on all test cars) but did not drain the battery and failed to follow many other procedures for crash testing electric cars. Later on they released a statement saying the Volt was no more likely to catch fire than any other vehicle.

Okay.. And last, this is a sheet that will be attached to both cars and it is about charging. Half the page is a large map of charging stations in the Dallas/Ft.Worth metroplex. The other half has this information:

New paradigm in thinking about fueling up.

One of the reasons people are so concerned with charging times is because they are used to the idea of pulling into a gas station and waiting while their vehicle is refueled. With an electric car most of your charging will be taking place at night while you are asleep. However there are a growing number of public fast-charging stations popping up all over DF/W. Most of these are located at restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, and other places where you'll be spending an hour or two anyway.

What if I live in an apartment or condo?

This is a legitimate concern as you will need access to some place to charge. However, some people have had a positive experience in dealing with their landlords in accommodating the installation of public chargers in the parking lots. Other people have had no luck at all.

What if I drive a bazillion miles per day?

According to the US department of transportation, over 80% of drivers commute 29 miles per day. You must be one of the 20% that drives further than that. I guess an electric car is just not suited for you right now. Check back in a few years when battery technology will be more advanced.

Overestimation of miles

Most people assume they drive further than the really do. Did you know it is only 7 miles from Pantego Bible Church to downtown Ft.Worth? If you asked most people they would guess betwwn 15 and 20 miles. With a Nissan Leaf you could drive from here to downtown and back 7 times before recharging.

Well written FAQ. Some suggested edits/additions:

"How far can you go?" - I'd keep the LEAF top end at 100mi and then say if you hypermile on side roads you can get 120.

"How much does It cost?" - I would point out the features that the car comes with, maybe say "Look inside: the (LEAF/Volt) has many luxury features (GPS, Bluetooth, etc) which you expect for $nnn per month, but the cost to drive and maintenance (just brakes and tires) is much lower"

I think this should go before the environmental item:
"Why is it good for the USA?" - Unlike gasoline, all electricity in the US comes from the US, so by driving with electricity you are supporting American jobs not foreign ones. When the US imports less oil, more money stays in the the good ole US, less goes to corrupt interests that we don't agree with (Nigeria, Venezuela, Mexico, etc), and hopefully less American dollars (and lives) are spent protecting that foreign oil.

About refining gasoline, I might change the wording to say an enormous amount of energy is used, since much of it is natural gas rather than electricity.

Great summary. I need to copy this and post it on mine. I would make a small change in wording:

"...over 80% of drivers commute less than 29 miles per day."

"Is it actually environmentally friendly when charged with coal power?"

Reddy

Nice job!

Please note you mention driving the LEAF in your sheet about the Volt. You also have the same charging time for both. Is the time right for the LEAF?

So what are your concerns about the Volt? Questions regarding the fire? It seems many have gotten beyond that given their recent sales numbers.

Personally, I would be inclined to mention drawbacks as well as benefits. I find that people are more receptive if the discussion is not all one-sided. For instance, you could mention that battery life in the Texas heat likely will be shorter than in cooler areas of the country and that some people choose to lease until these EVs have been around long enough to get hard data.

RegGuheert said:
Please note you mention driving the LEAF in your sheet about the Volt. You also have the same charging time for both. Is the time right for the LEAF?
We've only had the Volt for a week. So some of the statistics I just don't have answers to yet, such as how much electricity it uses. Also my Wife drives 39 miles per day and the Volt comes home drained every day. So I wanted to keep an example that I thought would make more sense when talking about recharge times.
So what are your concerns about the Volt? Questions regarding the fire? It seems many have gotten beyond that given their recent sales numbers.
I'm concerned of people arguing with me over things like the Volt costing the taxpayers $250,000 a piece and nonsense like is seen all over the internet.
Personally, I would be inclined to mention drawbacks as well as benefits. I find that people are more receptive if the discussion is not all one-sided. For instance, you could mention that battery life in the Texas heat likely will be shorter than in cooler areas of the country and that some people choose to lease until these EVs have been around long enough to get hard data.
Well, I think most people are aware of the drawbacks, such as range and recharge time. As for your statement about the battery life, there really isn't enough information available for me to feel comfortable saying something like that. Just from personal experience, my Leaf is over a year old and still has 98% capacity left. All that, despite our record-breaking heat-wave that lasted like 4 months last Summer.

Oops I forgot another good snippet of info:

Do these cars catch on fire? - You could add: "Recently in upstate NY a Camry (driving at a very high speed) rear ended a parked Volt. Both cars were completely totaled. The Camry burst into flames and the driver barely got out alive, despite the gas tank being in the rear the Volt did not catch fire."

For more info: http://gm-volt.com/2012/06/01/volt-smashed-by-camry-doesnt-ignite-but-camry-does/

adric22 said:
I'm concerned of people arguing with me over things like the Volt costing the taxpayers $250,000 a piece and nonsense like is seen all over the internet.
Maybe someone would like to check my math on this but I recall calculating that the entire cost of the DOE program to incent alternative fuel vehicles being brought to market will ultimately cost each taxpayer about $4. So you can ask the naysayer it's worth $4 to them to someday have an option in the market to high gas prices or if they'd prefer to be OPEC's bee-atch forever. But try to be sensitive with them... it's not easy letting go of your first love.

If you lived in an apartment in the DFW area you could use the eVgo quick chargers to charge your car. Thirty nine dollars a month plus nineteen dollar sign up fee for a one year contract for unlimited use. So for a years driving five hundred dollars for as much as you can drive. You just have to arrange thirty minutes time to charge when you get low on charge. Not a optimal solution but it would work for an apartment dweller with a LEAF with QC port. Six stations now with many more on the way.

Not sure about the Leaf, but the battery in the Volt is designed to last the economic life of the car (10 years, 150k miles), and even then it wont be completely dead but just degraded by 30%.. in the case of the Volt it just means the engine will have to start sooner and run longer... eventually it will run almost continuously.

I would not count battery replacement against these cars, conventional cars will need timing belt replacements, water pumps, several brake rebuilds and perhaps a new transmission at the same time... and it could be much worse if you get a VW.

The Volt battery fire, if I recall, was THREE WEEKS after the crash.
2011 Nissan LEAF

• Not a hybrid; powered 100% by electricity that is mostly made in USA, not in the Middle East. Almost no electricity is produced from oil in the USA, and no electricity comes from outside North America. No soldier ever died defending electricity.
• There is no gasoline motor; no smog checks, no oil changes, no camshaft belts, no tune-ups, no air and oil filters, no oil drips on the driveway/garage. The Chevrolet Volt has and uses a gasoline motor in addition to the electric motor, as does a Toyota Prius.
• Zero tailpipe emissions, and zero emissions from electricity produced by geothermal, solar, wind, and hydro (dam) power, and even nuclear.
• 70 to 80 mile range, up to 100 miles with careful driving
• Lithium Manganese battery has a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty
o No acid in battery
o Power does not taper off as battery gets lower in energy
• Charging is normally done overnight, just like plugging in your cell phone. It can be charged in 30 minutes, and less than 5 minutes has been demonstrated in Japan.
• Highest rated 5 star crash test by US government
• The car’s charger draws about 3.8 kW; a little less than an electric clothes dryer at 4.4 kW.
• The car is equipped with a noise maker so that pedestrians can hear it coming. Yes, it’s that quiet.
• COSTS:
o Purchase is $35,000 to $40,000, a lease is about $450 per month
o $2 to $4 to "fill up" the battery with electricity overnight at your house
o 3 cents per mile energy cost (4 miles per kWh @ $0.12 each)
• It costs 20 cents per mile for 20mpg gas car at $4 gallon for gas
• Toyota Prius hybrid car costs 8 cents per mile (about 250% more)
• Made in Japan by Nissan
o To be built in Smyrna, Tennessee, USA in 2013, in America's largest car plant. Capacity of the plant, 550,000 units per year.
o The batteries will be made in a separate factory in Tennessee
• Eligible for California HOV (Car Pool Lane) until January 2015

Fun Gasoline Facts:

• To extract and refine one gallon of gasoline takes about 6 kWh of energy. That can power the Nissan LEAF about 24 miles.
• In 2010, the U.S. imported oil from Mexico (11%) and from Canada (21%), however, 42% comes from OPEC.
• Only about 25% of the energy of gasoline is used to propel a car. The other 75% of the energy is wasted as heat.

Popular Misconceptions:

1. Electricity is produced from coal: Yes, it is in much of the USA; about 45%, but not in San Diego. Presently SDG&E has only one contract for energy that comes from coal, and it accounts for just 3% overall energy. The contract will sunset in 2013, at which time SDG&E will have no direct coal-sourced supplies. SDG&E is building a 500kV line called the Sunrise Powerlink, a 120-mile line intended to carry renewable energy (solar, wind, etc) from the Imperial Valley to San Diego. The line is expected to be in service by 2012. About significant percentage of San Diego LEAF owners have solar panels.
(I do, too; 8kW of power, powering over 100% of my electric needs).

2) Electric car batteries will fill up landfills with toxic waste: 94% of lead-acid batteries that EVERY gas car has are recycled and there is no reason that Li-ion batteries cannot be recycled as well. Unlike lead-acid batteries, in addition to recycling, a secondary market will be created for used electric vehicle batteries to provide residential and commercial electricity during peak demand periods.

3) Batteries cost too much: Yes, they are very expensive. But, like any emerging technology, the cost comes down quickly with widespread adoption, like televisions, computers, cell phones, etc. The Nissan LEAF battery has an 8 year /100,000 mile warranty, where you will spend nothing.

4) Hydrogen is today’s answer: Perhaps, in 20 years. Unlike electricity, which is everywhere, there is no efficient way to generate hydrogen, there is no pipeline infrastructure to transport it and there are no refueling stations.

5) Nobody would buy a LEAF without big government handouts: Currently, there is a $7500 tax credit from the US government and a $2500 rebate from the state of California. Both of these will expire eventually, and then we’ll know if this is right or wrong!! Nissan is selling every single one they produce.

adric22 said:
I'd like to leave the car on so people can see the instrumentation. I always leave the 120V EVSE plugged in so people will notice it is an electric car. However, the EVSE is not actually connected to the wall. I'm pretty sure this will still disable the car from actually going anywhere if somebody were to put it into drive. What do you think?
The Leaf will not go into "Ready" mode with the J1772 connector still plugged in, regardless of whether the EVSE is powered. However, the car will shift into neutral if any attempt to put the car in gear is made. This will enable the car to roll if not chocked.

Also, and the biggest problem, leaving the Leaf powered up in this mode, but not Ready, will cause the 12 battery to rapidly deplete until it's dead and you will not be able to turn it back on, so you'll need to get a jump. Unless the Leaf is in Ready, it will not be able to use the main pack's energy to power the 12v systems.

If you want to keep it lit up, I recommend you make the Leaf Ready as normal before driving, but then in the interior fuse holder, you pull out the second fuse down from the top that's in the middle row (10A/Red) and the top fuse in the right-most row (15A/Blue). This will disable the park actuator, while leaving the car in Ready mode. You will keep your 12v battery from going dead (by using main pack energy), and the car absolutely will not come out of park no matter what, and the traction motor will not run.

Unfortunately you will not be able to connect the EVSE connector, otherwise it will instantly pull the Leaf out of Ready mode and stop charging the 12v system. (You could unplug the connector behind the inlet, then it would ignore the EVSE.)

Be sure and replace those fuses before you try to leave. Additionally, you will need to disconnect the 12v battery for about 60 seconds (with Leaf off) to clear the codes that will be set by this trick, but that could also be done later, after you arrive home. The Leaf will still run fine if those codes set, the only indication will be the little red/yellow triangles on the dash. It may also self-clear after a few drive cycles as well.

FYI: This is what Nissan does at car shows to prevent attendees from driving off in the cars on the floor.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
FYI: This is what Nissan does at car shows to prevent attendees from driving off in the cars on the floor.

-Phil

Excellent tip for my upcoming ventures. So, if we can't pull a fuse to spoof the car to get charged and be in READY mode, there must be a pin on the EVSE that can be interrupted to allow having the EVSE plugged in, and not letting the car sense it.

Then, put a 12v charger on the lead acid.

Train said:

:shock: It will? :cool:

It's a loaded statement, 0-60 time doesn't tell the whole story. "Most" gasoline cars implies a lot of run-of-the-mill cars that wouldn't beat the Leaf off the line. Electric cars have quietly jumped out in front by the time most gas cars realize more gas is being squirted into their cylinders. Higher performance cars will certainly overtake it further into an acceleration run, but out-accelerating a Leaf is a pretty violent event in a gas car though so there's a qualitative element involved. A more accurate statement would be the Leaf has "better" acceleration... unless you like a bunch of revving noise, jerky shifting... which some people do.

Train said:
:shock: It will? :cool:
It will certainly outrun any of the gas cars I've owned before. Keep it in perspective. Sure, there are plenty of gas cars that will outrun the Leaf. But think how many mini-vans and econo-cars that are on the roads. Even some of those big SUVs and pickup trucks are pretty slow.

Granted, most of the new cars are a lot faster, but if you look at 0-60 times for most of the cars made in the 1990's (of which plenty are still on the roads) most of them are slower than the Leaf.

Also, and the biggest problem, leaving the Leaf powered up in this mode, but not Ready, will cause the 12 battery to rapidly deplete until it's dead and you will not be able to turn it back on, so you'll need to get a jump. Unless the Leaf is in Ready, it will not be able to use the main pack's energy to power the 12v systems.

How long do you think the 12V battery would last in this situation? The car show should only last for about 4 hours.

TonyWilliams said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Excellent tip for my upcoming ventures. So, if we can't pull a fuse to spoof the car to get charged and be in READY mode, there must be a pin on the EVSE that can be interrupted to allow having the EVSE plugged in, and not letting the car sense it.
You can't be in Ready while charging, period However, keep in mind anytime the car is charging, the DC-DC is closed and the 12v is also being charged. So if you have AC power, plug the charger in, and then power on the car. It won't be driveable, and it'll keep the 12v charged and have everything else including CC operable. Just be sure to have enough load (or by enabling preconditioning in CW) to keep the charging going. (>1.2kW while on 120v)

Adric mentioned he doesn't have power going in, just that the EVSE handle is connected, so that's the difference. He'll definitely need the power from the main pack if he wants to keep his Leaf lit up for more than a few minutes. There simply is no way to have an EVSE fully connected and keep the 12v system going unless it's got AC power. Pulling the connector on the back of the inlet would remove proximity detection, which would allow the car to remain ready. (No possible way to charge like this though)

FYI, you can also keep the car on while QC'ing. (though, not for long!)

-Phil

I've also come up with a relatively simple way to keep the Leaf ready and disable the drive system/shifter, though it does require wiring.

For instance you could add a hidden "kill" switch that puts the car in this mode.

-Phil

Back