Upcoming car show, questions & concerns.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Along these same lines I noticed a quirk at a car show where I had the included L1 EVSE plugged into the car for show but the EVSE not plugged into anything (in a parking lot). I turned the car on (but not ready) to show someone the instrument panel, but I could not turn it off no matter what I did, even holding the 0-1 button in didn't turn it off. I was starting to freak, then remembered the EVSE plugged in, disconnected it, and was able to turn the car off as expected. Never got around to reproducing the behavior, as it was a bit distressing I haven't been that anxious to try :)

LTLFTcomposite said:
Along these same lines I noticed a quirk at a car show where I had the included L1 EVSE plugged into the car for show but the EVSE not plugged into anything (in a parking lot). I turned the car on (but not ready) to show someone the instrument panel, but I could not turn it off no matter what I did, even holding the 0-1 button in didn't turn it off. I was starting to freak, then remembered the EVSE plugged in, disconnected it, and was able to turn the car off as expected. Never got around to reproducing the behavior, as it was a bit distressing I haven't been that anxious to try :)
Simple: You had your foot on the brake. The car thinks you are trying to go Ready which is blocked, so it reverts back to "IG-ON", which is where you started from. To turn the Leaf off at this point, simply take your foot off the brake and hit the power button. I assure you, it will go off instantly.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Simple: You had your foot on the brake. The car thinks you are trying to go Ready which is blocked, so it reverts back to "IG-ON", which is where you started from. To turn the Leaf off at this point, simply take your foot off the brake and hit the power button. I assure you, it will go off instantly.

-Phil

Right you are. I just tested it and of course that is exactly the case. At this show there were people standing in front of the car while I was showing this other guy the dash and no doubt kept my foot firmly on the brake out of habit in such a situation. Thanks for solving the mystery!

Just a follow up. The car show was a success. Lots of people came by and looked at the Leaf and the Volt, asked lots of questions too. One of the judges came by and said that it looked like the Volt might win the trophy for "best new car." However some other car ended up winning it.

599648_10151051700910962_1537734458_n.jpg

adric22 said:
The car show was a success. Lots of people came by and looked at the Leaf and the Volt, asked lots of questions too.
Great! Thanks for the update!

Can you give us a feel for the responses you got from people once their questions were answered? Did you hear anyone say they would be interested to purchase a Volt or a LEAF? How many said "Not for me!" Other common responses?

RegGuheert said:
Can you give us a feel for the responses you got from people once their questions were answered? Did you hear anyone say they would be interested to purchase a Volt or a LEAF? How many said "Not for me!" Other common responses?
Nobody said they were going to buy one. But there was often a crowd around the vehicle talking amongst themselves and reading my signs. I couldn't hear what they were saying, only the people who came to talk to me. I wasn't even there with the cars the whole time either.

One interesting thing is that of those people who were interested and came to talk to me seemed highly polarized between one car or the other. Some really liked the Volt and didn't care for the Leaf at all, while other people were the exact opposite.

One person did ask about the Volt catching on fire. I explained the situation and he seemed really relieved and wondered why the media never followed up on that.

Many folks walked right on by the cars without being even the least bit interested. Others even shook their heads as they walked by indicating they thought the cars were stupid. However, I'd say at least 80% stopped and took a quick look around the car, which is more than I can say for either of the cars on either side of us.

adric22 said:
Nobody said they were going to buy one.
I get the same impression talking to people. Of course on any given Sunday 99.9% of folks simply aren't in the market for a car.
You do what you can to share the news with folks and from there nature takes its course. IMO it does get people thinking, but few are going to stick their necks out until they see everyone else doing it.

Just a follow up to this. I got a call from the church today asking when I was going to come pickup the Trophy for the Chevy Volt. It won "Best new Car."

So I guess it won after all. For some reason the people on the PA just never called it out.

adric22 said:
Just a follow up to this. I got a call from the church today asking when I was going to come pickup the Trophy for the Chevy Volt. It won "Best new Car."

So I guess it won after all. For some reason the people on the PA just never called it out.
Congratulations!

Back