Updated information from ECOtality San Diego 5/26/2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeiJidosha said:
In addition to failing the financial and milestone requirements of the contract, EV Project is contaminating the data.
Can you please point me to the data or reporting that shows that the EV Project is "failing the financial and milestone requirements of the contract?" I have been unable to find this information, despite several web searches.

Thx,
TT

TRONZ said:
Ecotality is bumping into the end of their charge station incentives. They have installed about a dozen stations at one site in SoCal. It would appear that besides some of the retailers mentioned, that will be it. That will be the sum total of Ecotalities public chargers in SoCal. Dec 31 will be here in a flash. On that date all speculation will end and we can do the final count.
It was my understanding that the EV Project does not end until April of 2013. Are you saying that the number of public stations installed by Dec. 31, 2011, will be the total ever deployed by Ecotality? Is there some "drop-dead" date for the funding I am not aware of? Your view is that their stated plans to install up to 5,000 public charging stations, including 300 L3 stations is just a fabrication and a lie? Can you supply any hard evidence of this, or is it simply speculation based on the fact that you don't see enough of it happening yet?

TT

ttweed said:
It was my understanding that the EV Project does not end until April of 2013. Are you saying that the number of public stations installed by Dec. 31, 2011, will be the total ever deployed by Ecotality? Is there some "drop-dead" date for the funding I am not aware of?

Dec 31, 2011, study through April 30, 2013.

Ecotality can sell you an L2 outright past that date, or now, for $3000.

TRONZ said:
TT please review the second post on page 7 of this thread.
OK, I missed the "Dec 31, 2011 sunset clause on free charges and subsidized installs" statement. Is this "sunset" for both public and private installations, L2 and L3, Tony? They have to get them in by Dec. 31 or it's all on their dime or the customer's, w/ no federal reimbursement?

TT

Thanks to everyone for tracking this important issue and for passing along information. I still have a couple of questions though...

Maybe I missed it in my scan of this thread, but has anyone learned why there's such a delay in getting the publicly available commercial EVSEs and/or the public EVSEs actually installed?

Did they just somehow grossly overestimate the #s and timeframe and they still realistically think that hundreds will be put in around San Diego, but it will just take longer or is there some other barrier which <GASP :eek: > is going to prevent them from ever going in?

Why is it all turning on Ecotality anyway? Can't any of the other vendors (Chargepoint, for example) just sell them and work with the businesses to get them installed? I get the alleged financial incentive to work with Ecotality, but it's obviously not working so well to get the EVSEs on the streets. That's why I am wondering whether there is something else going on… is there concern about day-time grid load if all of us (and future) home night-time chargers actually also charged during the day? Is there a hold-up with the City permitting process? I'm just not getting where in the process the jam-up is happening.

(And I am hoping it's not because there is a total lack of demand from organizations and businesses to put them in - see the Costco thread - because if that's the problem, then I would think we could get to work on that… ;) )

JCBNJB said:
has anyone learned why there's such a delay in getting the publicly available commercial EVSEs and/or the public EVSEs actually installed?
From information posted in this thread, particularly Tony William's meeting report, and maybe some speculation, it is looking like the reason Ecotality has failed to install any significant number of charging stations is that their business model has not been attractive to any businesses. See:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=130918#p130918
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=130964#p130964
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=131111#p131111

TonyWilliams said:
I think the business is going to pay to give away free charges. The base rate was $1-$2 per hour for L2, split 50/50.
So if a business wants to give away charges to draw customers they have to pay Ecotality as well as pay for the electricity. I wish that someone would find that under their DOE contract the terms of their agreements are in the public record, and find out for sure what deals they are offering. Or that some business which was offered a deal would speak on the record.

It looks like Ecotality would like to price charging like parking. But at $2/hr and 3.8 kW EVSE input you're paying $0.53/kWh, versus maybe $0.08/kWh at home. That's like buying gasoline at $10/gallon for the many Leaf owners who are used to a Prius. So aside from a few demonstrations of support for the pioneering merchant, most drivers would probably stay away from those charging stations except in emergencies. And outside of a few small areas like downtown, parking is generally provided as a free amenity to attract customers, and even when it's paid it is often free with validated purchase. I believe that "free with purchase" will be a common model for charging, but I'm not sure that Ecotality's business model would get us there.

JCBNJB said:
Can't any of the other vendors (Chargepoint, for example) just sell them and work with the businesses to get them installed?
That's one of my big questions. I've assumed that Coulomb (Chargepoint) and Ecotality (Blink) were each given separate territories by DOE, and that's why you see little overlap. Someone else said he thought Coulomb was operating without any of the government subsidies that Ecotality can tap. There are both free and paid Chargepoint stations, with the fee set by the property owner. So why is it that Coulomb has installed hundreds of stations while Ecotality has managed scarcely a dozen? Compare their maps: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=131039#p131039

JCBNJB said:
is there concern about day-time grid load if all of us (and future) home night-time chargers actually also charged during the day? Is there a hold-up with the City permitting process? I'm just not getting where in the process the jam-up is happening.

I don't think Ecotality is worried about electrical loads, but SDGE might. The permitting was listed as a 3 week process, so I don't think thats a concern.

(And I am hoping it's not because there is a total lack of demand from organizations and businesses to put them in - see the Costco thread - because if that's the problem, then I would think we could get to work on that… ;) )

I do know one possible L3 install that is still in the negotiating process.... for about 2 months. This is a site that already had electric car chargers, so not new territory. I suspect the terms of paying Ecotality are an issue.

walterbays said:
It looks like Ecotality would like to price charging like parking. But at $2/hr and 3.8 kW EVSE input you're paying $0.53/kWh, versus maybe $0.08/kWh at home. That's like buying gasoline at $10/gallon for the many Leaf owners who are used to a Prius. So aside from a few demonstrations of support for the pioneering merchant, most drivers would probably stay away from those charging stations except in emergencies.

I believe this is exactly what is souring the situation. My distinct impression from last summer was that Ecotality's main motivation was rooted in being paid to put in the stations - to be the contractor for the subsidized deployment. Which seemed like it could be a very lucrative, albeit finite project.

There absolutely was discussion of hosts being able to give away power, or just cover costs. I acknowledge that there is an added cost to "just covering costs". (As an aside, the anticipated large suite of public chargers was explicitly promoted as being free to EV project participants through May 2011...which I guess technically they were....all none of them.) Now it's all turned on its head - the currency of the realm is the grail of this ongoing revenue, which, at the proposed rates, I speculate is simply not going to exist.

It's even being explicitly stated - here's a quote from the article referenced in the "New public charging stations in San Diego" thread started earlier today:

"Before, the question for businesses was, 'Do you want to give away your electricity for free?' " Lewis said. "Now it's a matter of, 'Do you want to make your electricity available, and get paid for it?' "

Source: http://www.allbusiness.com/automotive/automotive-industry-environment/16664402-1.html#ixzz1Y32AhjZc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess "before" was last summer and "now" is now....I just wonder what happened to so emphatically change the theme...if in fact it did change - maybe it was the main driver all along...but it didn't seem that way. We didn't buy EVs so we could pay more to operate them than our ICE vehicles...

Host sites can choose to make the charging service available "Free of charge" to their visitors, or they can choose to charge a fee for it. It is totally up to them.

I'm sure various hosts will try it both ways...It will be interesting to see what pricing is acceptable to the community...

Randy said:
Host sites can choose to make the charging service available "Free of charge" to their visitors, or they can choose to charge a fee for it. It is totally up to them.

I call doublespeak. Of course they can provide it "Free of charge"...they can also provide kittens and popsicles. The point is that they (hosts) apparently have to pay a substantial amount beyond the actual cost of the good being sold (electricity), on an ongoing basis, in order to deploy the unit that you and I paid for with our tax dollars. And apparently not very many of them are interested. Whether the lack of interest is due to that "feature" of the arrangement I can't say, but were I a business owner, I'd be very leery.

I understand that the units need to be on the network to study behavior and that's not free, and there is an added cost to have a mechanism to recover even just the raw electricity cost...but if those added costs are 10x or 40x the real world cost of _the good itself_, it's NOT GOING TO WORK...I don't care how much added value one might attribute to the convenience of the units being in locations other than our houses.

There are places where a can of Coke can be had for 25c, and places where people will gladly pay $1 - sometimes even $2 (that usually involves a monopoly situation - eg. within the confines of a ballpark). The only place you can sell a $10 can of Coke is in the middle of Death Valley, and even then your customer has to have made some fundamental mistakes...you're not going to sell a lot of them. $2/hr for L2 is a $10 can of Coke for the typical Leaf owner.

The issue I see is this (warning - the analogy is going to get butchered a bit here but the point holds...): if I want to GIVE you a can of Coke (1hr of L2) at the entrance to my store, I can't just buy some Cokes at Costco for .25, I have to also pay Ecotality $1. Suddenly I'm not so keen to give you a Coke because I'm out $1.25. But I also know you're not going to pay "$10" for that Coke. So forget it...no Coke for you.

wsbca said:
... I understand that the units need to be on the network to study behavior and that's not free, and there is an added cost to have a mechanism to recover even just the raw electricity cost...
I'm not sure that's the main (or even an important) reason for a connected unit. It's mainly to facilitate billing, to provide usage info to the venue owner, and to monitor the units for maintenance purposes. The fact remains the Blink is supposed to be a commercial network, and it always was. If a business doesn't want the service Blink is offering, they can always buy units outright (i.e. coke from Costco) and install them. They become responsible for maintenance (and vandalism), and maybe take on more liability...and of course pay more up front, although there's a 30% tax credit available for just that sort of install. The grant was NOT only, or even mainly, to install free public charging, as some on here seem to think, but to jumpstart a commercial charging business...which we may be finding out isn't viable.

Any bets on what Andy is going to say today at CCSE?

Refer to the first post in this thread, and then reconcile that with 23 chargers in 5 locations throughout San Diego, as of mid-October. This should be fun.

Rusty said:
I had to leave after the photo shoot, before the blood fest. How'd the presentation and Q&A session go?
They left Andy until last, and the news was not heartening. He basically admitted that the original infrastructure estimates of the project were wildly optimistic, and that the reality of selling and installing public charging stations has been much more challenging than anyone expected, even with generous government subsidies. His presentation covered the current state of the project with names of contracted partners, maps of locations, numbers of current and projected installations (those in negotiations and/or site analysis), and he discussed the process and the specific difficulties (logistical/engineering/financial/legal, etc.) involved. There is a certain "chicken or egg" conundrum stifling sales due to the fact that a convincing business model cannot be presented without solid data on utilization, which could be used to calculate a projected ROI for owners, while the data cannot be collected without sufficient installations and users to generate it over time. The potential revenue is equally difficult to estimate without knowing what pricing schedule would be acceptable to users. He mentioned a figure of ~$1.50/hr. for L2 charging as being a likely charge for some stations after the end of the year, when the "free" period lapses. He touched on the problems with locating EVSEs at gas stations, which initially appear to be likely candidates, due to the safety considerations of mixing high voltage and flammable liquids, and at rest stops along freeways (another seemingly ideal location) due to lack of sufficient power supply, etc. In talking with the CCSE folks afterwards, I caught a glimpse of how difficult the actual process can be. Despite the fact that they were totally committed to the idea of providing EVSEs at their location, and have been onboard since the start of the project, they only completed their installation this last week, due to the complex negotiations required to achieve "buy-in" by all those involved. They, like many businesses, are leasing their office space. In order to install the EVSEs, they had to convince both the property manager and the owner of the property to go along with it. There were concerns of both these other parties regarding liability, risk, finances, specific location and parking disruption, etc., that had to be overcome one by one before any actual construction could take place. It is a very complex process, involving many different parties (and often their high-priced lawyers) with conflicting goals and desires in such a situation, and this is not uncommon for such an effort.

As far as questions, these could have (and did) go on far beyond the allotted time, and ranged from "WTF happened to the grand plan?" to "What can we do to encourage the growth of infrastructure?" to "Why aren't 120V L1 connecters being provided at the Blink EVSE locations for legacy users without J1772 plugs?" to "What can be done about the 'demand' tariff management on commercial sites that is discouraging installations?"

The bottom line for me was that it appears that by the end of the EV project, we can probably expect about 250-300 public L2 installations in SD County, and possibly a dozen L3 installations at most. There are 55 L2 installations under contract currently, with about 490 in some stage of negotiation, of which perhaps 60% will actually result in a contract before the coming deadline. Only 1 L3 installation might be expected by the end of Nov., at a location he refused to disclose. Pricing for such public charging is still completely up in the air at the moment.

There is a slight chance that the DOE contract could be modified or extended, but that is questionable and far from certain.

That's what I remember, and they say the memory is the first thing to go, so anyone else is welcome to chime in, correct me, and add their own impressions.

TT

ttweed said:
Only 1 L3 installation might be expected by the end of Nov., at a location he refused to disclose. Pricing for such public charging is still completely up in the air at the moment.

That singular location, if it's the site I think it is, has been in negotiation since May 2011 when I suggested that the principal at that site contact Andy at Ecotality.

Let me suggest that the site may not do much for folks driving around in north San Diego county, where the bulk of LEAF's appear to be.

There were two guys from a company called EVoasis that claim to have a site just north of Legoland that will have multiple quick chargers set up like a gas station with cafe / coffee shop. For those, like me, scratching their heads as to how they could manage the demand fee, the answer seems to be a SHIPPING container size box of batteries, that seemed surprisingly economical to purchase.

Of course, the plan that I've proposed is to limit the current draw to below 20kW, and operate a Swiss built 18.3kW DC ChaDeMo charger that is available now, or modify one of the currently available 50kW chargers to limit its current below 20kW.

This is the flyer that I circulated at the event:

ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING SAN DIEGO

If you’ve noticed a lack of ChaDeMo quick DC chargers in San Diego, and California in general, you’re not the only one. For Nissan LEAF and Mitsubishi iMiev owners with the ChaDeMo port, it appears likely that there may be very few ChaDeMo chargers installed here in the near future.

A group of us are in the exploratory stages of an organization that would buy, install, and operate several DC ChaDeMo quick chargers throughout San Diego. Each of us has who have purchased a LEAF will receive a $2500-$5000 check from the State of California, and either a $7500 tax credit, or almost $100-$200 per month savings on a lease per month with the tax credit that Nissan passed on to you. The money is out there to build a private infrastructure that will be available sooner, than later.

The sell is simple. Each of us invest $1800 - $2500, and when we hit each financial landmark of enough to install a charger (about $50,000+ each installed), we vote on where the next charger should be installed, and go to that area to seek out a host. That means one charger per about 20-25 cars. It also means that these would most likely be available 24 hours per day. They will be where we want them, and we have equity in a product. Our host doesn’t pay us anything, which makes finding hosts a bit easier, we hope.

Your cost to charge would be something like $3-$5, which largely covers just the electricity. Once a basic network is installed, there is the possibility of offering memberships to the public, which would pay the market rate for a DC fast charge. If you’re interested, please contact:

Tony Williams, San Diego LEAF owner, <TonyWilliams *at* LoveMyLEAF *dot* com> 858-245-8217

Or friend us on Facebook at “Nissan LEAF Lovers San Diego”. We’d love your input.

TonyWilliams said:
There were two guys from a company called EVoasis that claim to have a site just north of Legoland that will have multiple quick chargers set up like a gas station with cafe / coffee shop. For those, like me, scratching their heads as to how they could manage the demand fee, the answer seems to be a SHIPPING container size box of batteries, that seemed surprisingly economical to purchase.
Would one of those guys be named Angus Clark? I met him at the first Leaf tour event in SD and he told me about their plans. He was having L3 chargers built in China for ~$6K, so I imagine the storage systems would be similarly sourced. He said they may even have mobile L3 trucks as well. Their website is here: http://www.wix.com/evoasis/evoasis and shows sites planned for the airport and Encinitas as well as all the way up to Santa Barbara. He told me at the time that they were thinking of serving Hwy 1 all the way up to SF. They are in the UK too, and are basing their business model on a subscription service that seems pretty pricey to me--$90/mo. (plus electricity charges) is not something I am interested in signing up for to charge away from home, but then driving the Leaf to LA or SF is not on my agenda.
YMMV,
TT

ttweed said:
Would one of those guys be named Angus Clark? I met him at the first Leaf tour event in SD and he told me about their plans. He was having L3 chargers built in China for ~$6K, so I imagine the storage systems would be similarly sourced.

Yes, that's him.

Back