UPDATED- LEAF LED High-Beam upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repo

Since you have one halogen and one LED is there anyway you could find a dark road. Then cover one headlight....take a picture then cover the other headlight (while parked of course) so we can see the difference in the high beams? (a comparison) before and after.

thanks

69800 said:
Repo

Since you have one halogen and one LED is there anyway you could find a dark road. Then cover one headlight....take a picture then cover the other headlight (while parked of course) so we can see the difference in the high beams? (a comparison) before and after.

thanks

Well, I actually decided to not bother waiting for the new dongle. I sliced the bad one open and soldered the disconnected black wire into position and wrapped it back up. Now I'm blazing down any dark roads basking in the light. Sorry, but kinda not really ;)

Mine should be here soon. I will try to put only one in and do a left right comparison picture to post here. I would like to pull the fuse on the low beams so I can see just the high beams but have not taken the time to find out whether or not the high and lows are on a separate circuit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H11-H4-H7-9005-9006-LED-Headlight-Kit-H13-9004-9007-H1-H3-9008-6000K-White-Bulbs-/371304206027?var=&hash=item5673748ecb&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buy from the source, cheaper with out moronic shipping restrictions!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=172517&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC0.A0.H0.XH13+led.TRS0&_nkw=H13+led&_sacat=172517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Raw search resualts all identicle pretty well.

Try this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251898086743?item=251898086743&var=550782871922&viewitem=&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But frankly, the shape of the beam on the LED sucks compared to the OEM halogens.

saywatt said:
Try this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251898086743?item=251898086743&var=550782871922&viewitem=&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But frankly, the shape of the beam on the LED sucks compared to the OEM halogens.

I thought it was the same beam pattern? That was the whole point i thought???

saywatt said:
But Frankly, the shape of the beam on the LED sucks compared to the OEM hallogens.

I'm not sure that I completely agree with your assessment of the beam spread, but I do notice that on all of the photos that I have seen of the LED high beams (including mine) that the right lamp seems to be low.

I believe that the reason for that is that the heat sink on the LED assembly has some slight interference with the internal support structure on the LEAF's headlight enclosure that is causing it to point down slightly. I have been able to fix that by pushing down on the rear of the LED assembly, but it pops back up from road vibrations. So this weekend I am going to try to quantify where the interference is between the bulb and the housing support and use a cut-off tool to trim the heat sink where it is rubbing. That should fix the low beam pattern on the right side.

When I get this done, I will post the results.

As I had posted earlier, I have done an assessment of the high beam upgrade and an issue with the right side high beam enclosure and an interference issue that causes the LED assembly to point lower than it should.

This causes the beam spread to look like this with a hotspot in the mid-right side

leafledlights-07.jpg

At issue is an structure in the right side headlight enclosure which interferes with the bulb

leafledlights-09.jpg

The fix is to take a small flat file and remove about 1/64th of the bottom of this piece of aluminum.

leafledlights-10.jpg

The second issue is that the H9 mounting collar tolerance on the LED bulb is a bit loose which can cause the bulb to point off axis if there is interference if the bulb assembly rubs against the enclosure.

leafledlights-12.jpg

The solution that I MacGyvered was to take a plastic Zip-tie and insert it in the mount gaps to tighten the mount up against the bulb globe.

leafledlights-13.jpg

leafledlights-14.jpg

This tightens up the tolerance of the mount so that it does not wiggle in the reflector mounting flange. When the bulb is reinserted into the headlight reflector, make sure that it is not off axis and level in the reflector.

This will give a better (though not perfect) beam pattern. Please note on this photo the car is not pointed straight down this piece of road, it is pointed a bit to the left, hence the left side trees are illuminated more than the right side trees.

LEAFLEDlights-new.gif

I am installing LED H13's in my 2015 LEAF S and am not sure what to do about the enclosure cap wiring. As now assembled there does not appear to be enough room for the heat sink and the SAE connector. I believe the cap need to go on for environmental protection, but am unsure about cutting the wires. Has anyone else faced this problem.

OrientExpress is right about the slop in the LED bulb adapter. I implemented his hint using a tie-wrap and it helps but there still seems to be a lot of movement.

OK It's a few minutes latter and the question is now: How can I disassemble the SAE connector to extract the pins from the molded plug? If I can safely do this then I can pull the individual wires through the dust cap and perhaps push the LED power connector through the hole. or another larger one to do a clean install.

I installed the LED high beam in the passenger side of the leaf. It can only go in one way and twists solidly into place just like the halogen bulb does. Look at the picture. The yellowish spot is the stock halogen on the drivers side. Look above and to the right you will see the LED high beam. It is to high. If I back up and shine it a the shop from 150 feet away the high beam it way higher than the stock halogen making it worth less. Going down the road it is shining up in the trees. When I carefully at Orient Express's great photo (which is just above this post) of high and low beam I swear I can see the left high beam up in the trees and may that is about right. But look at the right high beam. His looks to me like its pointing down just about where the low beams are... This whole thing has me puzzled.

It looks like the beam is quite good just aimed wrong. Anyway to adjust it? Maybe it is 180' out? Ie try removing rotate 180 and reinstall? (not sure if you can do that or not)

The stock high beams on my Leaf also pointed way high and were not independently adjustable. If I had adjusted to get the high beams right the low beams would have been ridiculously low.. I never worried about it because the highs were so dim due to the poor reflector design and because I rarely needed them on a car that never left the great L.A. area...

69800 said:
Going down the road it is shining up in the trees. When I carefully at Orient Express's great photo (which is just above this post) of high and low beam I swear I can see the left high beam up in the trees and may that is about right.

Back