Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFer said:
We went on vacation for 10 days. Left the LEAF unplugged at around 60% SOC. But I had forgotten to remove the ELM from the OBDII port. Nothing to report :) LEAF started fine, no loss of capacity, ELM reader connected right away.

The key was leaving it unplugged. I believe the LEAF charges the 12v battery every 5th day if not driven and left unplugged.

I am experiencing a connectivity issue, not sure if this was on previous versions, but my current version is v0.25
If I power on the Leaf into acc mode (power 2x, no brake) AFTER loading the app on my phone, i get 0% success rate, though it is connected and some data comes though (visible on debug screen, about 6 lines or so when monitoring cell pairs)
However if I have the app running, and I suppose it is connected to the BT adapter because it is on all the time, I power on the Leaf as above and it connects fine and i get my typical data success rate.
This could be an issue with my cheap dongle (same as the big one on first page, I installed a switch for EV-CAN)
I am considering adding a second switch to either turn it off while connected or switch over to switched 12V instead of battery 12V, but I don't want fix what is not broken.

vrwl said:
I'd like to suggest calling the 'Gids something a bit different that can be more easily distinguished among forum members who haven't followed this thread from its inception. In the Battery App data discussion thread, people are not noticing the single quote mark and so the conversation is confusing to others because they don't understand that GIDs are the true value and 'gids are the simulated or calculated value. So how about calling them SGDS or CGDS or something else significantly different but similar, so that there is less confusion among people when the values are being discussed?

I think I suggested that a while back, also. Maybe iGids?

LEAFfan said:
davewill said:
LEAFfan said:
Nothing yet, but soon. The only thing different on mine was in EV mode, it read the 12V exactly, but the CAR CAN doesn't.
That make no sense. The 12v reading doesn't come from the CAN bus. It is measured by the ELM327 directly.
Yes, it is. But it obviously reads differently when it is switched to EV. Convert one and see for yourself before you JTC.
Wasn't criticizing, or judging (or whatever the heck JTC means). Just adding info that might help debug the problem.

davewill said:
LEAFfan said:
davewill said:
That make no sense. The 12v reading doesn't come from the CAN bus. It is measured by the ELM327 directly.
Yes, it is. But it obviously reads differently when it is switched to EV. Convert one and see for yourself before you JTC.
Wasn't criticizing, or judging (or whatever the heck JTC means). Just adding info that might help debug the problem.
I think JTC means Jump To Conclusions, but I’m not sure. I’d hate to jump to conclusions on its meaning. But I do have a mat around here somewhere for that. Maybe next to the coversheet for my TPS reports…

:) :)

From the other thread:

ahagge said:
Has anybody seen the following error when attempting to start the app? This is with 0.25 - it was working fine the last time I used it (probably 3-4 days ago), but now every time I start it up, I get this error message:
Error occurred
An error has occurred in sub:
main_vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv6
(java line: 2592)
java.lang.NullPointerException
Continue?
If I press "Yes", I get
Error occurred
An error has occurred in sub:
main_activity_resume (java line:611)
java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Interval must be larger than 0.
Continue?
Pressing "Yes" here gets me to screen 4, but with everything zeroed out. I can switch to the other screens, but can't get to the settings page.

Pressing "No" at either point exits the program.

I tried downgrading to version 0.24g-FS, but still no change in behavior (and it too was working the last time I used it - a couple of weeks ago.

I tried rebooting the phone, but no change in the app. No known changes to the phone that would cause the behavior.

Update: Going all the way back to 0.19 worked, but 0.23 and beyond did not (I didn't have any versions between those two).

Update 2: Nevermind. Uninstalling and then installing 0.25 seems to have done the trick. I'm back in business.

Turbo3 said:
Your saved data has somehow become corrupt.

Go to Settings/Applications and select Leaf Battery. Note the size of the Data area. Mine says 12.000KB what is yours?

Then select "Clear data" and then Uninstall the current version. Then reinstall v0.25.

You will need to remake all the changes to the default settings you made and your initial data will revert back to the default values.

My data size was only 8kb.

My Kyocera Event phone seemed to have its battery used up
unusually quickly the other day, as if there was an application
still running.

I looked at the Battery usage in the Android Settings, and
to my surprise, the LEAF Battery App was listed as the top user.

Using v25a, after I Exit the LEAF Battery app, it seems that
the app quits, but THEN the "... closing bluetooth... " message appears.
Is the app, or some part of it, or something started by it, still running?

When I see it in the Battery (usage) part of the Android Settings,
does that mean that the app is still running?
When I do a "Force Close" there, the app disappears from that list.

Suggestions-
GGids- Gary Gid
SGids- simulated Gids
DGids- derived Gids

vrwl said:
I'd like to suggest calling the 'Gids something a bit different that can be more easily distinguished among forum members who haven't followed this thread from its inception. In the Battery App data discussion thread, people are not noticing the single quote mark and so the conversation is confusing to others because they don't understand that GIDs are the true value and 'gids are the simulated or calculated value. So how about calling them SGDS or CGDS or something else significantly different but similar, so that there is less confusion among people when the values are being discussed?

Stoaty said:
How does a derived Gid differ from a simulated Gid???
Perhaps I'm wrong, but my humor detector just went off :)
May I suggest the following units of measure for your consideration. Happy Friday!

SGids: Super Gids
RGids: Raw Gids
KCGids: KC Masterpiece Gids

surfingslovak said:
SGids: Super Gids
RGids: Raw Gids
KCGids: KC Masterpiece Gids
What about CGids = Cooked Gids? We had quite a discussion earlier about whether the Cooked Gids or the Raw Gids are more nutritious. ;)

Just an update. I fixed my connection problems by just rebooting the android phone. It worked perfectly all day yesterday. I tried turning off Bluetooth when the car turns off but this causes java exception errors in the app.

I measured my bluetooth OBD mini device today and its a LOT more than the 30mA I saw on a spec sheet. I measured 91.6mA! That's about 1.1 watts. Any way so I came home today to my leaf and I could hear clicking coming from the engine bay. When I unlocked the car it stopped. The 12 battery was sitting at 12.2v and the car started fine but I think I'd prefer to have the adapter on the 12v switched power. It looks like pin 16 carries constant 12v. So I've ordered a 30cm obd2 extension cable and will tap pin 16's wire and connect it to a switched 12v source.

Has anyone modified one of these mini obds as pictured on page 1 to run only when the car is turned on? If so, any links or info? I've heard people have put switches in their OBD2 tool but I think this is just to turn the 12v on/off. It looks like the OBD port doesn't have a switched 12v line.

Oh on another note, the 0.25FS has been working flawlessly for the last few days. It turned out the phone just wanted to be rebooted? After a reboot the software hasn't had any problems communicating with the OBD scanner.

pcarlson79 said:
I... Any way so I came home today to my leaf and I could hear clicking coming from the engine bay. When I unlocked the car it stopped.
Others have experienced the same clicking sound, here's a thread about it: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back