Volkswagen Group Massive Emissions Fraud Scheme

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
It won't ever happen!

o00scorpion00o said:
Someone's out to get them I'd say, perhaps discredit the foreign car company enough to maybe eliminate them from the U.S ?

Maybe you're right, who really cares about a bit higher Nox ?

I don't get why anyone in the U.S would want Diesels anyway , especially with the crazy cheap petrol prices ?

o00scorpion00o said:
TomT said:
It won't ever happen!

o00scorpion00o said:
Someone's out to get them I'd say, perhaps discredit the foreign car company enough to maybe eliminate them from the U.S ?

I don't get why anyone in the U.S would want Diesels anyway , especially with the crazy cheap petrol prices ?
In Southern California, smog from cars was horrible in the 60's and 70's. So I guess we care about NOX in Cali... Simply, VW needs to make it right...

JimSouCal said:
o00scorpion00o said:
TomT said:
It won't ever happen!

In Southern California, smog from cars was horrible in the 60's and 70's. So I guess we care about NOX in Cali... Simply, VW needs to make it right...

I get the pollution thing but because fuel costs peanuts there I don't understand the desire for diesels, as good as they are today they're not as good as petrols, here in the E.U with extortion taxes I can see the justification but even then there are a lot of people who buy diesels that do little mileage and won't see the benefits but are under the illusion that diesel is going to save them a fortune.

A 2.0L TFSI would be far nicer to drive than a TDI, good torque sure, but horrible power band. Lots of wrestling with the Gearbox unless you have the Twin Clutch DSG but still, I don't see the need for diesel passenger cars there.

Via GCC:
German KBA ratifies fixes for Volkswagen 1.2, 1.6 and 2.0L diesels; implementation begins in January
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2015/12/20151217-vwag.html

After a review, the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) has fully ratified the measures proposed by Volkswagen to address the NOx emissions issues in Europe for the 1.2-liter EA189 diesels as well as the 1.6- and 2.0-liter versions. (Earlier post.) The vehicle owners will shortly be informed about the next steps. Volkswagen will begin implementation right at the start of 2016.

The 1.2-liter and 2.0-liter engines will get a software update. Labor time will be just under half an hour. The 1.6-liter engines will also get a software update. In addition, a “flow rectifier” will be fitted in front of the air mass sensor. The labor time for implementing these measures will be less than an hour.

These measures apply to Europe (EU-28 markets). After the measures have been implemented, the vehicles will meet the applicable emissions standards, with the aim of achieving this without any impairment of engine output, fuel consumption or performance. . . .

"Flow Rectifier" sounds like a baffle of some sort to restrict air flow into the AMM. That's the equivalent of the "fix" used by US manufacturers on Ca. spec cars in the seventies: just make the air/fuel mixture more lean, and to hell with the damage to engine performance and drive-ability.

No, what it does is straighten out the airflow so that the downstream sensor gives more accurate data...

LeftieBiker said:
"Flow Rectifier" sounds like a baffle of some sort to restrict air flow into the AMM. That's the equivalent of the "fix" used by US manufacturers on Ca. spec cars in the seventies: just make the air/fuel mixture more lean, and to hell with the damage to engine performance and drive-ability.

TomT said:
No, what it does is straighten out the airflow so that the downstream sensor gives more accurate data...

LeftieBiker said:

I'd be surprised if it didn't also reduce maximum airflow to the meter.

LeftieBiker said:
It's possible that is what happens, or they could increase the cross-sectional area of that portion of the tube to prevent any restriction in flow. I guess it depends on whether or not there is room to do that.

RegGuheert said:
LeftieBiker said:
It's possible that is what happens, or they could increase the cross-sectional area of that portion of the tube to prevent any restriction in flow. I guess it depends on whether or not there is room to do that.

It's doubtful that this modification will have any major effect to solve VW's problems without any
modifications to the overall emission system for vehicles without the SCR system (urea injection).
Remember, all ICE vehicles operate as a closed-loop-feedback system via oxygen sensors to monitor
and control the fuel mixture. The feedback systems now days are even more precise thru the use
of wide-band oxygen sensors versus the narrow-band ones used previously. So the engine ECU
knows where it's operating on the fuel mixture scale (Lambda) and where NOx becomes a problem
relative to the other emissions, i.e. hydrocarbons & CO.

LeftieBiker said:
... I'd be surprised if it didn't also reduce maximum airflow to the meter.
Probably not.
Less tubulent flow has lower pressure drop.
Why power plant large air and gas ductwork has turning vanes added to reduce turbulence.

Volkswagen faces billions in penalties as U.S. sues for environment violations

The U.S. Justice Department on Monday filed a civil lawsuit against Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) for allegedly violating the Clean Air Act by installing illegal devices to impair emission control systems in nearly 600,000 vehicles.

The allegations against Volkswagen, along with its Audi and Porsche units, carry penalties that could cost the automaker billions of dollars, a senior Justice Department official said. VW could face fines in theory exceeding $90 billion – or as much as $37,500 per vehicle per violation of the law, based on the complaint. In September, government regulators initially said VW could face fines in excess of $18 billion...

The civil lawsuit does not preclude the Justice Department from pursuing criminal charges against Volkswagen, said the Justice Department official...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-usa-idUSKBN0UI1QP20160104

Via ABG:
VW faces problems to fix diesel emissions in the US
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/06/vw-faces-problems-diesel-fix/

Volkswagen has until January 14 for the California Air Resources Board to accept the automaker's recall plan for its polluting diesel engines, and an anonymous VW insider now alleges to Reuters that the business is having a hard time agreeing with regulators on the solution. Company officials will reportedly discuss the situation with CARB this week, and VW Group boss Matthias Müller will also meet with the Environmental Protection Agency after the Detroit Auto Show next week to work things out.

According to Reuters' source, VW faces a big problem: its emissions fix in the US may require fitting the vehicles with new hardware. These components need testing, and that process eats up the company's limited time. However, engineers at the automaker continue to work to have the repair ready to present to regulators. . . .

Warm up the crusher...

Volkswagen likely to buy back 115,000 cars in U.S: German report

German automaker Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) assumes it will have to buy back about 115,000 cars in the United States as a result of the emissions scandal, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

Without citing its sources, Germany's daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung said the company expected it would have to either refund the purchase price of a fifth of the diesel vehicles affected or offer a new car at a significant discount.

Volkswagen expects that the rest of the vehicles will need major refits, incurring significant costs for parts and a long stay at the garage as parts of the exhaust must be reconstructed and approved, the newspaper reported...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKBN0UL00320160107

The civil lawsuit does not preclude the Justice Department from pursuing criminal charges against Volkswagen, said the Justice Department official...
I bet criminal charges against ex-VW officials would be a lot more effective in preventing such crimes in the future.

BTW, did anyone even get charged for the BP oil spill ?

evnow said:
I bet criminal charges against ex-VW officials would be a lot more effective in preventing such crimes in the future.

BTW, did anyone even get charged for the BP oil spill ?
Yes: http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2015/04/bp_oil_spill_criminal_cases_la.html

Of the four men mentioned in the article in addition to Anthony Badalamenti, David Rainey was found not guilty: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/05/bp-executive-david-rainey-deepwater-horizon-oil-spill-gulf

Kurt MIx was found guilty,but the verdict was overturned, and he subsequently pled down to a misdemeanor (got probation and community service): http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpavlo/2015/11/06/government-drops-obstruction-charges-against-former-bp-engineer-kurt-mix/

Donald Vidrine and Robert Kaluza had their involuntary manslaughter charges dropped last month. Vidrine pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor, and Kaluza's misdmeanor trial starts Feb. 16th: http://fuelfix.com/blog/2015/12/08/schedule-set-for-bp-rig-supervisors-misdemeanor-trial/#33996101=0

It continues to get more interesting.

They are not cooperating any longer it seems....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/business/vw-refuses-to-give-us-states-documents-in-emissions-inquiries.html?src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgraphics8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Fbusiness%2Findex.jsonp&_r=0

Back