Volkswagon research center rips out Blink QC, installs combo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDrive

Went to quick charge at the Volkswagen research center along the 101 south of San Francisco today and i encountered an interesring surprise. VW ripped out their Blink and installed a Chademo and SAE combo fast charger.

Works well, it's much smaller than the Blink and it's free to use for now. When they start charging for it's use, they may have a non standard payment system... tbd. It doesn't support chargepoint cards because of the cost of Chargepoint hardware and software as well as using their network.

Isn't VW aligned with the "FrankenPlug" community? If so I'm not surprised, as the eGolf is supposed to be released to the public within the next year, and I'm sure VW USA will get early production/pre-production examples for evaluation.

http://www.efacec.pt/PresentationLayer/ResourcesUser/Catalogos%202012/Mobilidade%20Electrica/SA68I1102B1_QC50_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TEG said:
http://www.efacec.pt/PresentationLayer/ResourcesUser/Catalogos%202012/Mobilidade%20Electrica/SA68I1102B1_QC50_EN.pdf

Yes sir, it's the green one on the pdf. The SAE plug is a little less wieldy and lighter than the Chademo... to my surprise. I would actually not mind using the SAE standard now that I saw it. Of course my leaf can't use it. Maybe my next EV.

The title of this post makes it sound like an SAE Combo replaced a Chademo, but one is still there -- just not Blink's. Perhaps the OP could modify the title and save some readers the trip (as it were) to a fairly unremarkable development (imho).

the best case scenario is having combo plugs installed in new locations that way we keep the old chademo's plus add a few more that we share with a spark and a...a... ya, share!

mbender said:
The title of this post makes it sound like an SAE Combo replaced a Chademo, but one is still there -- just not Blink's. Perhaps the OP could modify the title and save some readers the trip (as it were) to a fairly unremarkable development (imho).
I sure am glad to learn they got rid of the Blink. I charged there late one afternoon and the sun was shining directly through that big stupid hole in the middle of the charger. It was virtually impossible to read anything on the display. From that experience alone I would rate the efacec replacement a moderately important development.

Ray

planet4ever said:
mbender said:
I sure am glad to learn they got rid of the Blink. I charged there late one afternoon and the sun was shining directly through that big stupid hole in the middle of the charger. It was virtually impossible to read anything on the display. From that experience alone I would rate the efacec replacement a moderately important development.

Ray
The one at the Concord Hilton had a very similar problem. Plus, in the summer, the touch screen would become exceedingly HOT due to the sun. It could still operate, but if for any reason (say to steady a finger for accuracy) one had to contact the screen for more than a split second of a touch, it was almost hot enough to burn skin! :-( The happy news though is that Concord Nissan, which is only about a mile away, put in their quick charger almost simultaneous to Blink's implementation of charging fees. I suspect the Hilton/Blink DCQC has seen a 90% drop in its use... serves them right! :) )

mbender said:

It's a dual unit and I'm sure some bay leafers would like to see it. The other big news here is that its free to use the new QCer to charge your leaf. Even if you don't care I'm sure plenty of people are happy to know that.

mbender said:

It's worth remarking that they installed a CHAdeMO even though VWEVs won't use it. Shows support for EVs in general, and is something Nissan and Tesla don't do.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
mbender said:

It's worth remarking that they installed a CHAdeMO even though VWEVs won't use it. Shows support for EVs in general, and is something Nissan and Tesla don't do.

oh most definitely and I think its simply VW keeping their options open

DaveinOlyWA said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
mbender said:

oh most definitely and I think its simply VW keeping their options open
qcroadtrip

I think this discussion is headed in the wrong direction. VWERL is a research facility, first and foremost. That's how they were able to install the first CHAdeMO QC in the Bay Area. Some of their prototypes, the R8-based etron would come to mind, were equipped with CHAdeMO. This was before they had CCS electronics as QCs ready. What this facility does locally is not necessarily reflective of corporate policy and standards support.

Furthermore, the site the Blink was installed on was contracted to ECOtality. CarCharging, the new owner of the Blink network, has been replacing the old units with new equipment. They just did that at Stanford, where a similar or identical unit was installed recently. I'm not a fan of any standards wars, but I think you might be taking this too far. Instead of becoming partial and insinuating anything, I would rather see support of multi-plug QCs, such as this one, in public locations. What Nissan, Tesla, GM, VW or BMW do privately or at their dealers is another matter.

The cars should compete of their own merits, and not on the plug format or the size of subsidies any particular format received from respective governments. Ideally, these things would converge; an outright plug format dispute and the division of the EV community because of it is not needed or desirable in my opinion.

Stanford got a new Nissan QC to replace the 350Green Efacec or something the manufacturer no longer supports. Bad example.
http://insideevs.com/in-palo-alto-california-carcharging-swaps-efacec-dc-charger-to-nissan-dc-charger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CarCharging Group owns all Blink assets so they should have all the information they need to repair Blink units. This could very well mean replacing Blink units with Nissan units. I am hoping they replace each Blink QC with two Nissan QCs, even if limited to 25 kW to significantly increase reliability and availability at sites.

Back