Voltec 240V EVSE for GM Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called again and they confirmed that they will verify name, address, etc with the buyers database from GM. I thought about the VIN from a dealer demo, but if they verify the personal information I'd feel highly embarrassed. :oops:

I just ordered the Power Xpress (240V 30A NEMA 6-30 plug-in). As it qualifies for 30% tax credit for 2011, that is $250 back and the ability to keep it should Nissan offer on-board charger upgrades later in time. :mrgreen:

amtoro said:
I just ordered the Power Xpress (240V 30A NEMA 6-30 plug-in). As it qualifies for 30% tax credit for 2011, that is $250 back and the ability to keep it should Nissan offer on-board charger upgrades later in time. :mrgreen:
Are you sure it qualifies? I thought that credit was only for "refueling property" where property is defined as land and anything permanently attached to the land. i.e. that the credit would apply to hard-wired EVSEs but not to pluggable ones.

Ray

planet4ever said:
amtoro said:
Are you sure it qualifies? I thought that credit was only for "refueling property" where property is defined as land and anything permanently attached to the land. i.e. that the credit would apply to hard-wired EVSEs but not to pluggable ones.
Just because it has a plug doesn't mean it isn't "installed". Besides, the unit is designed to be hard wired if you desire. Many a Blink (like mine) is installed with a plug, but I wouldn't call it anything but "permanent". I wouldn't hesitate to claim the SPX and any electrical/mounting hardware or work I had to do to accommodate it.

I bought the plug-in version because it comes with the pigtail and I can keep it for future portability; I will likely hard-wire it for now.

However, if we read the qualification carefully, it does not exclude plug-ins, it only specifies it has to be installed in your home.

1. It is not a building or its structural components
2. It is used to store or dispense the alternative fuel (electricity)
3. You placed it in service during the tax year
4. The original use of the property started with you (YOU bought it from a manufacturer, store or distributor, not an individual)
5. The property is not used predominantly outside of the US
6. Must be installed in your home

"Installed" can mean many things, that is why I'm thinking about hard-wiring it.

If the IRS wants a picture, I will send them one where it looks like this:

SPX-Power-Xpress-1.jpg

amtoro said:
"Installed" can mean many things, that is why I'm thinking about hard-wiring it.
I would think an electric range is "installed" in a home, even though it's connected to power by a 14-50 plug and is just sitting on the floor in the kitchen.

amtoro said:
If the IRS wants a picture, I will send them one where it looks like this:

SPX-Power-Xpress-1.jpg

They won't. If you get audited they will wan to see a receipt for the unit. That's about it.

tps said:
I would think an electric range is "installed" in a home, even though it's connected to power by a 14-50 plug and is just sitting on the floor in the kitchen.

That is a good point... When you buy an appliance from a big-box store, they deliver it and "install" it...

This must have been addressed elsewhere but after wading through the EVSE subgroup for a while I gave up.. so just posting here.

I've been using the GM Voltec 240V EVSE on my Leafs for 2 years without much trouble. With Joulee3 the Voltec was powered up 24/7 and I used the Leaf charge timers. On the new car I've decided I don't like the timers and just want to use the old school mechanical hot water heater timer installed in my garage originally for the GM EV1's magnecharger. Setting the mechanical timer to power up the Voltec unit at 4 or 5am works fine 99.9% of the time. This morning I had my 2nd failure in 6 months. Voltec unit had one green LED and one flashing red LED (can't find the manual at home or online) I unplug and replug the J1772 and it starts up fine with two green LEDs as normal. wtf? I'm not sure if I should blame the EVSE or the Leaf. I haven't had the software upgrade yet so maybe this is one of the problems addressed with the update to the OBC?

My guess would be the mechanical timer is tripping the GFI. Maybe the timer has a GFI. Would help to know which LED is flashing.

SanDust said:
My guess would be the mechanical timer is tripping the GFI. Maybe the timer has a GFI. Would help to know which LED is flashing.
Hmmm.. the timer is just a mechanical switch for a hot water heater.. but I guess it could be the Voltec doesn't power up correctly 0.1% of the time.. ? It was the right led flashing red.. the left was solid green. I can't recall if it was a single or double flash.

One LED is probably signals a fault in the EVSE. My guess would be the "old timer". Easy enough to test. Just use the car timer and see what happens. If it never faults again you have your answer.

Woke up in the middle of the night and decided to switch on the mechanical timer about an hour earlier than it had been set. This is a 2013 rental, not my 2012 (so it has the newest OBC software.. which is a different OBC anyway..?!?!) From the switch I could see the LeafDD light up in the car but none of the 3 blue lights on the dash turned on. Hmm.. Walked over to the Voltec EVSE and the left LED was green, right LED was blinking RED. A good minute later the car's charging system was still on (as evidence by the CAN messages waking up LeafDD) yet no charging, no blue lights. I went back to the timer and switched it off.. waited for everything the settle.. then switched it back on again (J1772 connected throughout). This time everything came on ok and it started charging. sigh. I really don't want to use the Leaf's timers.. I want it to start charging immediately everywhere I plug in whenever I plug in EXCEPT at home... where I want it to come on around 3 to 5am. grr.

GregH said:
Woke up in the middle of the night and decided to switch on the mechanical timer about an hour earlier than it had been set. This is a 2013 rental, not my 2012 (so it has the newest OBC software.. which is a different OBC anyway..?!?!) From the switch I could see the LeafDD light up in the car but none of the 3 blue lights on the dash turned on. Hmm.. Walked over to the Voltec EVSE and the left LED was green, right LED was blinking RED. A good minute later the car's charging system was still on (as evidence by the CAN messages waking up LeafDD) yet no charging, no blue lights. I went back to the timer and switched it off.. waited for everything the settle.. then switched it back on again (J1772 connected throughout). This time everything came on ok and it started charging. sigh. I really don't want to use the Leaf's timers.. I want it to start charging immediately everywhere I plug in whenever I plug in EXCEPT at home... where I want it to come on around 3 to 5am. grr.

Do the older leafs not have a timer override button on the dash. My 2013 does.

I am considering buying one of these for my non charger upgraded 2013 S. Bosch said he had them in stock and the 16A power max is backordered till mid August. Anyone have a reason I shouldn't get the voltec? Other than it is $40 more. I am kind of mixed on the coiled cord.

@GregH: I am guessing ... but I think the Voltec burps during power up sequence with the car being connected (requesting a charge); this EVSE simply can't deal with your "simulated power outage". A Clipper Creek unit would handle it more gracefully.

LEAFer said:
@GregH: I am guessing ... but I think the Voltec burps during power up sequence with the car being connected (requesting a charge); this EVSE simply can't deal with your "simulated power outage". A Clipper Creek unit would handle it more gracefully.
Yeah, it's pretty clearly the Voltec's fault.. bummer. What's strange is I've been using the mechanical timer since February but only the last month or two has it been acting up (and even then, about 5% of the time)

Yes, all Leafs (I believe) have the override.. it's just sometimes I forget. And since I haven't used the onboard timer (or timer override) in the last 6 months if I switch now there will surely be times I forget..

Have you checked the contacts on your old timer? I'd be inclined to think that one of the two lines is not coming on completely. Those times are pretty cheap, why not try a new one. I don't know for sure, but I seem to remember that Magnechargers had quite a surge on power up...

Back